Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default Saw Stop - Oregon

On Mar 15, 7:13*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Leon wrote:

I know his intentions are good. *But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. *It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. *I understand now.

I think you are perhaps thinking that knowing that the blade will not
cut your digits off will also not be scary. *I highly suspect that
the blade spinning at 100 mph is still going to be intemidating.

I agree Leon. *The arguement that the saw won't be scarey enough does not
seem to work on me. *I've always held - or been taught the idea that one
does not put his confidence in "safety" devices, and assumes that they can
or will fail, leaving you exposed to the original danger. *I don't believe
that the shop classes that have installed Saw Stop saws are teaching their
kids that they don't have to worry about anything becasue it's a Saw Stop..
I suspect quite the opposite is true.

Don't tell the kids about the safety feature. But of course you can't
yell at the kiddies to get the point across anymore. That would
damage their self esteem.

Having said that, I don't believe the quoted statistics about the number of
incidents that Saw Stop has prevented.