Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve[_43_] Steve[_43_] is offline

Default Saw Stop - Oregon

RonB wrote in news:cf8759ea-40db-46da-a6f0-
:

On Mar 13, 7:53*pm, "LDosser" wrote:

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...wstop_saw_brak...

Some of the comments track remarkably with what has been said here.

This is absolutely frightening. That a small number of lawyers and
liberal courts can make decisions like this.

Also frightening is the comment made by the high school teacher who
has them in his shop.

"Two of them have been in John Stearns' woodshop class at Amity High
School. Stearns applied for grants to pay for two SawStop saws in
2008, which cost $7,400, about three times the price of other brands.
"I would pay twice as much for those saws to keep my kids from losing
their fingers," Stearns said. "Those two kids walked away without a
scratch. That's amazing. I don't know if I would go back to any other
saw."

I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.

If they start filling the schools with that technology, guess
what...............

RonB

Does anyone remember the Mercedes Benz commercials about 10 to 15 years
ago where an MB engineer mentions the fact that they were the ones who
developed air-bag technology for their cars. He is asked why they did not
patent the invention and instead shared the technology with other car
manufacturers. He replies that "some inventions are too important not to
share". It seems to me that the Saw Stop people could do the same by
allowing their technology to be used by others at a small fixed price per
unit and still make a nice return on their design.

Just wondering...

Steve