Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Saw Stop - Oregon

Leon wrote:

I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.

I think you are perhaps thinking that knowing that the blade will not
cut your digits off will also not be scary. I highly suspect that
the blade spinning at 100 mph is still going to be intemidating.

I agree Leon. The arguement that the saw won't be scarey enough does not
seem to work on me. I've always held - or been taught the idea that one
does not put his confidence in "safety" devices, and assumes that they can
or will fail, leaving you exposed to the original danger. I don't believe
that the shop classes that have installed Saw Stop saws are teaching their
kids that they don't have to worry about anything becasue it's a Saw Stop.
I suspect quite the opposite is true.

Having said that, I don't believe the quoted statistics about the number of
incidents that Saw Stop has prevented.

--

-Mike-