Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Do I want the Makita or the Milwaukee?

Damned Amazon sent me some emails this morning suggesting some things I might
like, and the *******s were right. Reminded me that my old 14V Porter Cable
cordless drill has just about outlived its usefulness, and now I'm looking at
these two puppies:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601...m_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...6790_as_img_5/

Thoughts? Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? Others I should
consider instead?

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2010 10:43 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Thoughts? Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? Others I
should consider instead?

Leon always has the best cordless drills of anyone I know on a job site,
and he seems to have plenty to choose from ... might want to get him to
chime in.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601...Compact/dp/B00...

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...ess-Driver-Dri...

Thoughts? *Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? *Others I should
consider instead?

To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Find Nailshooter's posts on the amp/hour ratings of the batteries. If
one brand is 1.5 AH and the other 3 AH... go for the bigger ones. The
brand is less important as both Makita and Milwaukee are credible.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 11:43*am, Steve Turner
wrote:
Damned Amazon sent me some emails this morning suggesting some things I might
like, and the *******s were right. *Reminded me that my old 14V Porter Cable
cordless drill has just about outlived its usefulness, and now I'm looking at
these two puppies:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601...Compact/dp/B00...

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...ess-Driver-Dri...

Thoughts? *Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? *Others I should
consider instead?

I have this Makita set:
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LXT407-...sxp_grid_i_2_2
I like it a lot. For a bit more in price you get a lot more
capability. The little impact driver is great. The set has 1.5 amp
hour batteries, but I'm not using it in a production setting so the 15
minute charge time keeps me going with no down time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Steve Turner spewed forth:
Damned Amazon sent me some emails this morning suggesting some things
I might like, and the *******s were right. Reminded me that my old
14V Porter Cable cordless drill has just about outlived its
usefulness, and now I'm looking at these two puppies:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601...m_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...6790_as_img_5/

Thoughts? Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? Others I
should consider instead?

I think you can do better on the price if you don't mind recon'd
i bought the Milwaukee for $119 from Toolking on their tool of the day a
couple months ago, but now they only show this one.
http://www.toolking.com/milwaukee-26...pact-drill-kit
Don't know what the difference is between the 22 and 82 but it works for
me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/08/2010 12:18 PM, RicodJour wrote:
The set has 1.5 amp
hour batteries, but I'm not using it in a production setting so the 15
minute charge time keeps me going with no down time.

However, lithium batteries (like other rechargeables) have a limited
number of recharge cycles so you're going to have to replace/rebuild
them twice as often as the bigger batteries.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 3:39*pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 01/08/2010 12:18 PM, RicodJour wrote:

The set has 1.5 amp
hour batteries, but I'm not using it in a production setting so the 15
minute charge time keeps me going with no down time.

However, lithium batteries (like other rechargeables) have a limited
number of recharge cycles so you're going to have to replace/rebuild
them twice as often as the bigger batteries.

Yep. It's a weight trade off thing for me. A battery is a
consumable, but my back can be a nagging pain.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601...m_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...6790_as_img_5/

I have wore out a lot of different cordless drills over the years.
Milwaukee, Makita, De-Walt, Riobi, Firestorm, Skill, etc...

Over all I have been most satisfied with my Milwaukee drills. I have not
tried the Makita you picture, but my current truck gun (in my service truck
for daily use) is the Milwaukee you have pictured. Except for the stupidly
high price of extra batteries I am very happy with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:43:24 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

Damned Amazon sent me some emails this morning suggesting some things I might
like, and the *******s were right. Reminded me that my old 14V Porter Cable
cordless drill has just about outlived its usefulness, and now I'm looking at
these two puppies:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601...m_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...6790_as_img_5/

Thoughts? Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? Others I should
consider instead?

Well... it was me I'd go for the Bosch 38636.

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...x?pid=38636-01

That's what I bought after my 15ish year old Bosch 12V drills finally
pooped out. I also had a pair of 8-10 year old 24V Porter Cable
Drills that didn't perform as well as the Bosch 12V drills.

I've always liked Bosch and Makita and never had a problem with any of
their tools. Milwaukee -- not so much.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
el...
On 01/08/2010 12:18 PM, RicodJour wrote:
The set has 1.5 amp
hour batteries, but I'm not using it in a production setting so the 15
minute charge time keeps me going with no down time.

However, lithium batteries (like other rechargeables) have a limited
number of recharge cycles so you're going to have to replace/rebuild
them twice as often as the bigger batteries.

Chris

Typically all things being equal most all manufacturers say that the L-ion
will last twice as long per charge and can be recharged twice as many times
as the NiMh...

Nailshootrer has seen contrary evidence.

My excperience with a L-ion Bosch impact driver 18 volt 1.5 amp is that it
lasts as long as the 2.6 amp 12 volt Nihd Makita.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Damned Amazon sent me some emails this morning suggesting some things I
might like, and the *******s were right. Reminded me that my old 14V
Porter Cable cordless drill has just about outlived its usefulness, and
now I'm looking at these two puppies:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601...m_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...6790_as_img_5/

Thoughts? Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? Others I
should consider instead?

I have had quite an assortment in the last 30 years as far as cordless
drivers are concerned. In the last 15 years I have had Panasonic, DeWalt,
Makita, and Bosch.

The Bosch is however a 1.5 amp 18 volt L-ion impact driver. I also have a
Makita 12 Volt 2.6 amp NiNh impact. Performance between the two is about
the same although the Bosch with the higher voltage "seems" to have a bit
more power. I still prefer the Makita over the Bosch.
Cordless Makita drills have been around longer than most and IMHO you cannot
go wrong with that brand. I have broken several Bosch corded drills and
never broken any other brand. I have even broken a Bosch sander, right
Swingman? ;~)

There seems to be some contrary to good reports about the Milwaukee battery
holding a charge. I would buy a Milwaukee corded drill in a heart beat
although I can not seem to kill my corded DeWalt which has built several
decks in the last 16 years.

IMHO Panasonic makes the absolute best unless something has changed recently
and you cannot go wrong with the Makita.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:43:24 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

Damned Amazon sent me some emails this morning suggesting some things I might
like, and the *******s were right. Reminded me that my old 14V Porter Cable
cordless drill has just about outlived its usefulness, and now I'm looking at
these two puppies:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601...m_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...6790_as_img_5/

Thoughts? Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? Others I should
consider instead?

I haven't tried lithiums yet, but the articles say "Get the 3AH batts
OR ELSE!" If you're working for a living, don't try the cheapos, as
they don't have the battery life -or- the balls.

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 11:43*am, Steve Turner
wrote:
Damned Amazon sent me some emails this morning suggesting some things I might
like, and the *******s were right. *Reminded me that my old 14V Porter Cable
cordless drill has just about outlived its usefulness, and now I'm looking at
these two puppies:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601...Compact/dp/B00...

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...ess-Driver-Dri...

Thoughts? *Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? *Others I should
consider instead?

To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

I used to work at a supply house that sold Milwaukee. The one that
you are looking at is the entry level drill and is not there best. If
you don't mind reconditioned (if Milwaukee did the recon then I
wouldn't hesitate) here is something to look at.

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond.../dp/B0025X940M

It is only $20 more and you would have a lot better drill IMO.

I have a Milwaukee 18v Lion and it works great.

Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in news:u0S1n.4332
:

They also don't like freezing from what I have seen.
Martin

I'll agree with that. My LiON batteries are sitting in the garage now,
recharging after dieing half way through an ice rink build. It's only 1F
outside, maybe I should leave them on the snow instead of putting them back
on the case.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

However, lithium batteries (like other rechargeables) have a limited
number of recharge cycles so you're going to have to replace/rebuild
them twice as often as the bigger batteries.

All things being equal, it seems that the larger any type of battery
is, and given it is properly cared for, you will rebuild it less.

However there is a curve on the lower powered batteries (also of any
type) that will require them to be rebuilt more often under steady use
since they will be cycled more frequently during use.

But apparently it isn't as simple as "this one has half the amp hours
so it will last half as long." Complicated explanations were given to
me about how batteries work that indicate that (for example) a 1.5mh
battery will have less than 1/2 the effective usable life of a 3mh
battery, not exactly 1/2.

***********
On Jan 8, 9:06 pm, "Leon" wrote:

Typically all things being equal most all manufacturers say that the L-ion
will last twice as long per charge and can be recharged twice as many times
as the NiMh...

Nailshootrer has seen contrary evidence.

My excperience with a L-ion Bosch impact driver 18 volt 1.5 amp is that it
lasts as long as the 2.6 amp 12 volt Nihd Makita.

One thing I learned when I was absolutely beating the whole battery
issue to death was that no matter the chemical composition or rating
of the battery, the are not created equal. I have no doubt as to the
validity of your experience.

Setting aside charge times, many QUALITY NiCds will out perform Li and
NiMh batteries. And the same goes for any variant of that equation.

Whilst on my mission, I found the city's largest battery rebuilder
literally two blocks from my house. They rebuild for the police and
fire department, the sheriff's dept., several hospitals, and several
maintenance companies.

According to "Robert" at Mtronics (no, not this one), Li batteries are
fine for video equipment including cameras and recorders. He also
likes them for phones and for radios, in other words devices that have
low, steady drain. He hates them in anything else and won't provide a
usable warranty for Li rebuilds.

He recommends NiMh batteries for maintenance people or for any other
service industry that uses a device that can be recharged overnight,
on a daily basis. Their lack of memory and ability to charge fully in
a short time is the key there. They also stand a variable drain
better in something like a drill in which you require much more power
if you need to really lean on a drill to use it.

I took his suggestion on my Makita drill that I carry in the truck and
went back to NiCad.

I was pumped about Li batteries for my drills as I have had great luck
with them in my digital cameras. But Bob steered me away with the
MSDS sheets he provided from two different battery suppliers they use.

Li batteries have a 2 -3 year useful life. That' it. I am sure
someone here has had their for 25 years and counting, but even the
manufacturers don't claim more than that. Additionally, you aren't
supposed to use them until they absolutely die. You will damage the
batteries. Worse, if you don't keep them charged properly, they will
die on their own, even if they are new.

Now the kicker. Stored in the truck, my drill has to be ready to go
when I need it. I rotate batteries out so the one hour I spend on a
NiCad has never been a problem for me. They hold their charge in all
manner of inclement weather, humidity, etc., even tossed in the tool
box where they live.

Li batteries are not that hardy. They do not like cold, and cold will
ruin them. They do not like heat (uh oh... tough living in South
Texas with that caveat!) and will discharge rapidly and can be easily
ruined in normal heat.

This is a quick three page read on Li batteries:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...on-battery.htm

Techtronix, a large manufacturer of Li batteries has this to say about
their batteries:

http://www.tek.com/service/safety/td.../001150100.pdf

I must say, I have done damn little battery maintenance in my life and
really don't need anything else to keep up with.

Note the lack of cycles on these Li batteries, and then rhink of the
actual useful cycles that could imply. Not good. Then check out the
italicized statement that "higher temperatures, above 68 degrees
reduce the battery storage life.

My tools don't ride in the air conditioning, and my little shop isn't
air conditioned either. I don't know when that battery would have the
pleasure of not being more than 68 degrees in temperature.

Information abounds on these batteries, and if you look into what tool
users say, the casual guys seem fine with the Li batteries and the
daily users don't care for them.

There is hope on the horizon, though. Sanyo (branded as eneloop) and
one other company has a second generation Li battery design that is
much sturdier, and in tests (not by them!) they only lose 15% off a
full charge unattended and unused for a full year.

If they get the temp problem solved, that could be a great battery.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

All things being equal, it seems that the larger any type of battery
is, and given it is properly cared for, you will rebuild it less.

snip

It is the old, "Pay me now or pay me later" game.

These batteries have a "Mean cycles to end of life" design parameter.

IOW, you have a known number of charge cycles to reach end of life,
and know I don't know the numberG.

Something to consider, batteries don't like to get hot.

Recharging a battery gets it hot.

Want to extend the service life of a battery?

Use at least 3 batteries for continuous duty applications.

Stated another way, try to limit the number of recharge cycles of a
battery to once per day.

Doesn't save you any money, but solves the problem of being 40 ft up a
ladder with only 5 more screws to drive, you know you'll get it done.

HTH

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Typically all things being equal most all manufacturers say that the
L-ion
will last twice as long per charge and can be recharged twice as many
times
as the NiMh...

Nailshootrer has seen contrary evidence.

My excperience with a L-ion Bosch impact driver 18 volt 1.5 amp is that
it
lasts as long as the 2.6 amp 12 volt Nihd Makita.

One thing I learned when I was absolutely beating the whole battery
issue to death was that no matter the chemical composition or rating
of the battery, the are not created equal. I have no doubt as to the
validity of your experience.

Just in case you may have thought I was tooting the horn for L-ion, I was
not. LOL

IMHO a 18 bolt 1.5 amp battery lasting as long as a 2.6 amp 12 volt battery
is nothing to brag about other than the fact that the battery is smaller and
lighter weight.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
Damned Amazon sent me some emails this morning suggesting some things I
might like, and the *******s were right. Reminded me that my old 14V
Porter Cable cordless drill has just about outlived its usefulness, and
now I'm looking at these two puppies:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601...m_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...6790_as_img_5/

Thoughts? Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? Others I
should consider instead

I never used either one, but I picked up the Makita at a local store and
fell in love with it immediately. It fit my hand really, really nicely
and is super light weight. At first I thought it didn't have a battery
in it, but it did.. This thing weighs about 3 pounds or so. I was hell
bent on getting a small 12 volt drill but couldn't decide on the
Milwaukee or the Bosch. After holding this one in my hand, I have to
say it feels really good. It was so light I wondered about the
durability... Makita has a good name though, and my Makita hammer drill
has been great for many years.

I know I would not buy any drill with out holding it in my hand to see
how it feels. This one would be perfect in my "part time" home shop.

--
Jack
Got Change: 5% Unemployment ===== 10% Unemployment!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 9, 3:38*am, "
wrote:

Li batteries have a 2 -3 year useful life. That' it. I am sure
someone here has had their for 25 years and counting,

Dunno why, really, but that just cracked me up. Advance warning next
time, please.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2010 11:10 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
Any idea what it would cost to rebuild the ones I have?

By the way, does anybody know what this is all about:

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...8723-8823-8923

? Snake oil? Worth the $8 download?

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

Actually, I really kinda like my old Porter Cable drill (it's a 3/8" Model
876 that uses Model 8723 14.4V 2Amp-hour NiCad batteries), and all this
talk about rebuilding batteries makes me wonder if it wouldn't be worth
doing so. $80 for a new battery is pretty ridiculous, and rebuilt ones
aren't all that much cheaper... Any idea what it would cost to rebuild
the ones I have? Any recommendations on a reputable rebuilder (I'm in
Austin, BTW)?

From what I understand buying replacement batteries does not mean you get
fresh. Basically there is a shelf life and the new battery you buy might be
limited in life. Rebuilding while not too much cheaper usually means a
fresh battery pack and typically better batteries installed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2010 10:06 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I held both those drills in my had at the local Home Depot last night,
and the Makita is about a 1/2 pound lighter and just feels better in the hand.
The price on both was the same as Amazon's current price ($179) but they were
sold out of the Milwaukee. I'm still pondering...

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2010 11:34 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
Yeah, I held both those drills in my had at the local Home Depot

Actually, I held them in my *hand*...

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

Damned Amazon sent me some emails this morning suggesting some things I
might
like, and the *******s were right. Reminded me that my old 14V Porter
Cable cordless drill has just about outlived its usefulness, and now I'm
looking at these two puppies:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601-22-18-Volt-Li-ion-

Compact/dp/B000WER5SE/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...rdless-Driver-

Drill/dp/B000K6ILDW/ref=pe_25960_14036790_as_img_5/

Thoughts? Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? Others I
should consider instead?

Have the same drill except mine also has the hammer function. Use it
everyday and it has plenty of power. No problem with batteries yet and it
holds a charge for most of the day. Again I use it everyday for long
periods of time. It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. I'd buy another in
a heart beat!!!!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

On 1/9/2010 2:38 AM, wrote:
"Chris wrote in message

However, lithium batteries (like other rechargeables) have a limited
number of recharge cycles so you're going to have to replace/rebuild
them twice as often as the bigger batteries.

All things being equal, it seems that the larger any type of battery
is, and given it is properly cared for, you will rebuild it less.

snipped all kinds of great stuff

Actually, I really kinda like my old Porter Cable drill (it's a 3/8"

Model
876 that uses Model 8723 14.4V 2Amp-hour NiCad batteries), and all this
talk about
rebuilding batteries makes me wonder if it wouldn't be worth doing so.
$80 for a new battery is pretty ridiculous, and rebuilt ones aren't all
that much
cheaper... Any idea what it would cost to rebuild the ones I have? Any
recommendations on a reputable rebuilder (I'm in Austin, BTW)?

The help I get from this group is *much* appreciated, BTW. These days

I'm
to the point where trying to track down "the answer" on Google just

makes
me
cross-eyed and grouchy, and I *still* don't trust the result. Thanks
guys!

I had the 14.4 1/2 PC which I loved. Had it for 7 years and replaced
batteries once I think. I used it everyday also. The only problem was it
was stolen from my truck. Bought a new replacement PC and ended up
returning it because it was junk. Bought the Makita and love it. But
having the old PC batteries rebuilt is not a bad idea if the drill is
still strong. That drill is pretty much bullet proof!!!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2010 12:20 PM, Evodawg wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:

[...]

Yabbut which one? The Milwaukee or the Makita? :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 9, 11:10 am, Steve Turner
wrote:

These days I'm to
the point where trying to track down "the answer" on Google just makes me
cross-eyed and grouchy, and I *still* don't trust the result.

With good reason. I used to remark or post in response to something
that was specifically in my field of work or experience if I knew it
was wrong. Now, I watch the tone of the thread and see if the OP is a
first time poster, or if the thread turns to politics. Then I don't
bother.

The internet is still a vast treasure trove of information, but it
still needs to be viewed with a suspicious eye. I am like to find
something that piques my interest that is presented as a "fact", just
to store it away in the back of my mind for further use.

I cannot imagine any other medium that has spawned more experts on any
subject than the internet.

Anyhow, at the risk of sounding like one of those know-it-alls, this
is a neat piece of work that details out some of the workings of a
NiCad battery. If you read this carefully, you can see why the NiCads
fail. The crystals that form inside the batteries from normal use
make it harder and harder for the battery to fully charge.

The crystals are formed at a much faster rate when the NiCads aren't
properly charged, then discharged through normal use, or stored, then
discharged and recharged. (See page three of the pdf).

http://www.ee.ryerson.ca/~phiscock/p...ad-battery.pdf

The guys that claim to be able to revive a NiCad battery have had some
luck doing it.

http://www.roaddevils.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6005

They break down the crystalline structure inside the battery by
"shocking" the battery, restoring its ability to receive and hold a
charge. This blitz conditioning is supposed to work well about half
the time, depending on who you talk to. Interesting that someone
figured that out, but it held no interest for me. Money is tight for
me... but not that tight.

My guy Robert can be found he

http://www.kellysearch.com/us-company-350028810.html

I had no idea they had a website. Since you may wind up shipping them
out anyway, he might be a good source for you.

When you have your batteries rebuilt, there are a few criteria:

- you must be able to disassemble the battery by backing out security
screws. None of the folks I talked to will cut open a case any more

- you need to find out what mh hour rating they are building to. In
my case, I stuck with 2mh, as the 2.3mh upgrades were 30% more. Try
to get something similar to what you have if you have been happy with
the performance in the past

- make sure they rebuild batteries as a large portion of their
business. Old batteries or old rebuild methods aren't worth fooling
with

- make sure they use name brand or industrial type batteries. It
isn't unusual to be able to get better batteries than your original
equipment

- when they assemble your battery pod, make sure they spot weld the
batteries together. Soldering isn't as good, doesn't last as well,
and isn't as sturdy in the field. According to Robert, they solder
joints don't maintain their electrical connectivity as well either; I
am guess because the actual connection isn't as sturdy as a spot weld.

When I had my Makita 14.4 drill rebuilt, I switched from NiMh to
NiCad. (As a note, you should make sure that your charger will charge
the battery type you change to if you make that decision!) My Makita
charger works with both NiCad and NiMh, so I was set.

To have the batteries rebuilt, Robert's guys had them out to me in two
days. (Online guys - 3 - 4 weeks with shipping!). Cost was $36 per
battery. I have only been using them in the drill for about 2 months,
but they seem great.

Using that bulk rate USPS box, you could get both your batteries over
here to San Antonio for about $8.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 12:57:20 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

Yabbut which one? The Milwaukee or the Makita? :-)

Absolutely! Maybe, I think.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 9, 2:44*pm, "
wrote:
On Jan 9, 11:10 am, Steve Turner
wrote:

[...]

A buddy of mine bought some instructions on how to do it on eBay for a
few bucks, and he said it worked fine - brought some dead batteries
back to life. I'll try it at some point on some old tools I don't use
anymore, and haven't in years. If it brings those back, well, Lazarus
walks again!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Doesn't save you any money, but solves the problem of being 40 ft up a
ladder with only 5 more screws to drive, you know you'll get it done.

HTH

Lew

I don't screw up a ladder.
Hmm. I guess I could have worded that differently.

Max
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2010 8:30 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:35:12 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

On 1/9/2010 11:34 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
Yeah, I held both those drills in my had at the local Home Depot

Actually, I held them in my *hand*...

Oh, I thought you had mistyped and meant "nads". I'm actually
quintradextrous and can hold tools with my prehensile appendage.

Yes, I am too, and being a drummer I can tell you that comes in pretty handy.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
Damned Amazon sent me some emails this morning suggesting some things I
might like, and the *******s were right. Reminded me that my old 14V
Porter Cable cordless drill has just about outlived its usefulness, and
now I'm looking at these two puppies:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601...m_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...6790_as_img_5/

Thoughts? Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? Others I
should consider instead?

I got the Makita set -- drill and driver -- for about a deuce at the
BORG on Black Friday. Very satisfied. Plenty of power and fast recharge.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
On 1/9/2010 11:34 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
Yeah, I held both those drills in my had at the local Home Depot

Actually, I held them in my *hand*...

Robocop thanks you. Everyone else knew exactly what you meant.

--
Jack
Got Change: 2008 ==== 1984