Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Do I want the Makita or the Milwaukee?

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Damned Amazon sent me some emails this morning suggesting some things I
might like, and the *******s were right. Reminded me that my old 14V
Porter Cable cordless drill has just about outlived its usefulness, and
now I'm looking at these two puppies:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601...m_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...6790_as_img_5/

Thoughts? Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? Others I
should consider instead?

I have had quite an assortment in the last 30 years as far as cordless
drivers are concerned. In the last 15 years I have had Panasonic, DeWalt,
Makita, and Bosch.

The Bosch is however a 1.5 amp 18 volt L-ion impact driver. I also have a
Makita 12 Volt 2.6 amp NiNh impact. Performance between the two is about
the same although the Bosch with the higher voltage "seems" to have a bit
more power. I still prefer the Makita over the Bosch.
Cordless Makita drills have been around longer than most and IMHO you cannot
go wrong with that brand. I have broken several Bosch corded drills and
never broken any other brand. I have even broken a Bosch sander, right
Swingman? ;~)

There seems to be some contrary to good reports about the Milwaukee battery
holding a charge. I would buy a Milwaukee corded drill in a heart beat
although I can not seem to kill my corded DeWalt which has built several
decks in the last 16 years.

IMHO Panasonic makes the absolute best unless something has changed recently
and you cannot go wrong with the Makita.