Posted to rec.woodworking
Evodawg Evodawg is offline

Default Do I want the Makita or the Milwaukee?

Steve Turner wrote:

On 1/9/2010 2:38 AM, wrote:
"Chris wrote in message

However, lithium batteries (like other rechargeables) have a limited
number of recharge cycles so you're going to have to replace/rebuild
them twice as often as the bigger batteries.

All things being equal, it seems that the larger any type of battery
is, and given it is properly cared for, you will rebuild it less.

snipped all kinds of great stuff

Actually, I really kinda like my old Porter Cable drill (it's a 3/8"

Model
876 that uses Model 8723 14.4V 2Amp-hour NiCad batteries), and all this
talk about
rebuilding batteries makes me wonder if it wouldn't be worth doing so.
$80 for a new battery is pretty ridiculous, and rebuilt ones aren't all
that much
cheaper... Any idea what it would cost to rebuild the ones I have? Any
recommendations on a reputable rebuilder (I'm in Austin, BTW)?

The help I get from this group is *much* appreciated, BTW. These days

I'm
to the point where trying to track down "the answer" on Google just

makes
me
cross-eyed and grouchy, and I *still* don't trust the result. Thanks
guys!

I had the 14.4 1/2 PC which I loved. Had it for 7 years and replaced
batteries once I think. I used it everyday also. The only problem was it
was stolen from my truck. Bought a new replacement PC and ended up
returning it because it was junk. Bought the Makita and love it. But
having the old PC batteries rebuilt is not a bad idea if the drill is
still strong. That drill is pretty much bullet proof!!!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !