Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Do I want the Makita or the Milwaukee?

On 1/9/2010 10:06 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
Damned Amazon sent me some emails this morning suggesting some things
I might like, and the *******s were right. Reminded me that my old 14V
Porter Cable cordless drill has just about outlived its usefulness,
and now I'm looking at these two puppies:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601...m_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...6790_as_img_5/

Thoughts? Any direct experiences comparing these two puppies? Others I
should consider instead

I never used either one, but I picked up the Makita at a local store and
fell in love with it immediately. It fit my hand really, really nicely
and is super light weight. At first I thought it didn't have a battery
in it, but it did.. This thing weighs about 3 pounds or so. I was hell
bent on getting a small 12 volt drill but couldn't decide on the
Milwaukee or the Bosch. After holding this one in my hand, I have to say
it feels really good. It was so light I wondered about the durability...
Makita has a good name though, and my Makita hammer drill has been great
for many years.

I know I would not buy any drill with out holding it in my hand to see
how it feels. This one would be perfect in my "part time" home shop.

Yeah, I held both those drills in my had at the local Home Depot last night,
and the Makita is about a 1/2 pound lighter and just feels better in the hand.
The price on both was the same as Amazon's current price ($179) but they were
sold out of the Milwaukee. I'm still pondering...

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.