Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My Recent Project...

Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent
woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be a
woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic frame went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent
woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be a
woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic frame
went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Most recent (current) project is a rustic farm table in maple. Sawdust part
is finished, but I still have to ding it up for the rusticisming and apply
the finish.

Swmbo likes it enough that she wants one too. Maybe someday....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent
woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be a
woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic frame went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Puckdropper

Mine is the Rockler queen size Murphy bed with a two foot wide bookcase
on each side. I've rough cut all the material and need to edge band,
apply finish, add hardware and assemble. Then there's the matter of a
mattress which doesn't appear to be an inexpensive proposition.

- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Doug Winterburn wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:
Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most
recent woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be
a woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic
frame went together quickly, but the legs are taking some time.
Nothing really special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s
glued together for stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Puckdropper

Mine is the Rockler queen size Murphy bed with a two foot wide
bookcase on each side. I've rough cut all the material and need to
edge band, apply finish, add hardware and assemble. Then there's the
matter of a mattress which doesn't appear to be an inexpensive
proposition.

- Doug

I'm doing a twin like that. I have ot yet cut all pieces as I am working
it up as I go along. I have the bed frame and have it mounted on the
face panels. I inadvertently cut extra openings for legs that won't be
there (damn panels switched long and short sides on me when I wasn't
looking), so that will call for properly placed "embellishments". For
the handles I chose, the leg pieces do NOT need 1/4" holes, but smaller
ones, and I need to cut the handle screws down so they properly can be
countersunk.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent
woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be a
woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic frame went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Puckdropper

Just finished a Greene & Greene style book stand for a friend who has a
very large Bible. Based on the Thorsen and Bolton plant stands in
Lang's book on the subject. Mahogany and shellac.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent
woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be a
woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic frame went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Puckdropper

I've been mired up in "restoration" projects, so there's been precious
little fresh sawdust. Brought three different antique chairs back from
the dead, all with complete disassembly, joint repairs, parts
replacements, new finishes, and even new upholstery (which I'm not very
good at). Gonna take a quick detour and build a knife block for our
newly acquired collection of Wustof kitchen knives (love 'em), then it's
off to build a loft bed for my daughter. Pointers to good plans for
either of those are welcome*. :-)

(* Yes, I've already spent countless hours slogging through Google
looking for ideas, but that's not my idea of fun.)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just finished a Greene & Greene style book stand for a friend who has a
very large Bible. Based on the Thorsen and Bolton plant stands in
Lang's book on the subject. Mahogany and shellac.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Can you post some pic's please?

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 4, 12:39 am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent
woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be a
woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

I just finished some display stands for a Navajo entrepreneur
merchandizing her "Medicine of the People" salves and balms.
http://medicineofthepeople.net/ I met the lady whose likeness is on
the tin. This little project got me to thinking about furthering the
mobility of my shop fixtures. That old immobile outfeed table sitting
next to my sheetgoods and cutoffs cart is taking up too much space,
and is too high when I'm putting longer boards through the planer. Had
some good casters laying around unused, and started with bolting them
to a 3/4 inch, 2x3 foot hunk of leftover particle board (there's
always more invested in hardware than material, at least in my case).
The material I have remaining is 2 sheets of 1/2 inch particle board,
which I'll double in thickness with glue and screws to make the 24x28
sides of the carcase. A single thickness of 1/2 inch will comprise the
back, and a remnant of melamine countertop will cap it off. I'll be
building two flush-fitting 6 inch deep drawers to ride on oak runners
(or maybe spend the money on a couple of good drawer guides) which
will give me a place to put all the crap that's been accumulating on
top of the old table, and under those drawers will be an open spot
about 15 inches high for the larger crap to languish. The original top
with its lazy susan will still be used in a modular fashion for small
finishing jobs. Pictures soon. Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent
woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be a
woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic frame went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Puckdropper

The model railroad has been my recent project, but the woodworking
aspects were done a couple of years ago. Track and wiring all done,
even have had some operating sessions. Scenery and building will take
up time this winter when I'm not doing repairs around the house.
Projects in mind include a small box to hold the cremated remains of one
of my cats who passed away early this past summer - will be big enough
to hold his brother when his time comes. Ideas and plans welcome for
this project. Will also do some more wood pens over the winter, and
some desk top sets for pens and pencils.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 04 Oct 2009 07:39:40 GMT, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent
woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be a
woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic frame went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Puckdropper

My most recent completed project was a video dolly for a friend who is working
on a documentary for the East Broad Top Railroad.

The dolly rides on twenty feet of track made out of PVC pipe. The whole thing
is portable and breaks down to ride in his mini van. The Dolly frame is ash,
because I have a lot of it. the corners are lapped and use jig knobs and tee
nuts to hold the frame together. Roller blade wheels mounted on 3/16" angle
which is attached to the underside of the long frame members provide for a very
smooth ride along the track. I turned pins to connect the pipes together. There
are cute little pockets with neoprene liners to hold the tripod. We had a
problem with the original design for the light standards. Yes, the lights roll
along with the camera. The design has been reworked and should be a lot more
stable and not break when we pic the rig up to move it.

It was an interesting project to say the least. I got to work with wood,
plastic pipe, and heavy aluminum angle. The holes for the wheels had to be
drilled and tapped. Getting the inside nuts on the wheel bolts was a real
challenge.

It does roll smoothly, even if I do say so myself.

If anybody is interested, I can post pictures on APBW.

My current project is a storage unit for a friend of my wife's who is into
scrapbooking. It is a mobile unit for holding paper, lots of paper, and colored
stamp pads. For this project, I had to learn how to do stubbed dados using a
router. That is something I had never done before.

The carcass is sitting on the bench with the bottom screwed in place. I dread
taking all of the screws out in order to add the glue, but...I will. When the
body of the thing is assembled, I have to cut shelves...lots of shelves. The
ones for the paper will slide out, the ones for the stamp pads will be captured
permanently in the case.

I am using birch plywood and 1/4" luan. I pre finished the insides of the case
so that I would not have to try to sand into the corners.

__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to rec.woodworking

now on abpw...

Cool, ty
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most
recent woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be
a woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic
frame went together quickly, but the legs are taking some time.
Nothing really special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s
glued together for stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Puckdropper

I just built a bookcase out of poplar, the smell of the polyurethane has
just faded away and some of the sawdust is still on the garage floor. It's
18" wide by 7' tall, built for a narrow space between two pieces of
furniture in our office/library. It was supposed to relieve the pressure on
the bookcases that wrap around two other walls, but naturally it instantly
filled up with books without making much of a dent in the overflow. There
was one major error in construction, and although SWMBO said to just go get
another piece of poplar and redo the screwed-up side I decided to fix the
major blunder in such a way as to be a permanent reminder to me of what not
to do in similar situations. Measure twice, cut once only works if you're
measuring from the correct %*$#! line in the first place.

As always with a new project I used it as an opportunity to buy a new tool,
in this case a Bosch ROS20VSK sander. I was a bit surprised to discover
this sander was made in Malaysia, first time I've seen that from Bosch. But
it works fine, and the dust collection is amazing. I ended up connecting it
to a shop vac since emptying the built-in filter got stale in a hurry.
Either way there was almost no dust left on the work, Bosch really got that
right. I also like the low profile, seems like it's easier to keep the
sander dead-flat as opposed to "pagoda" designs.

I sanded from 80 up to 220 with the ROS, then sanded by hand with 320, left
it natural and put on a few coats of Lawrence McFadden clear gel (I love
that stuff) sanded with a 320 sponge between coats. It looks pretty good if
you ignore where I forgot to use a backing block to prevent tear-out (why
couldn't that have happened on the back where it wouldn't matter?) and the
little (ahem) layout error that I fixed with strips from a piece of cutoff.
Materials were 25' of 11-1/4" poplar, some cutoffs of 1/4" ply for the back
which the local hardware store provided for a couple of bucks, LM clear gel
poly, four screws and a couple of dozen itty bitty finishing nails to hold
the back on. If mistakes are how we learn then I guess I'm smarter now than
before I started this project, but it hasn't fallen over and people I'm not
married to say it looks good, so maybe it isn't so bad.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My recent project was a stair modification for the back porch of an elderly
couple. (Elderly meaning a little older than me) I basically took a bunch
of surplus wood they had in their garage and made a new set of steps to fit
over the current steps. The new steps cut the height in half, making it much
easier for them to go down and up the steps. I will finish it today.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mine is the ongoing project of bringing the shop back online with a
view to making high end chess sets, jewelry boxes, footlockers, etc.

The chess sets are going good, except for the knights, which are going
too slowly. I'm having some fun with the footlockers because I'm
using wood where I used to use brass hardware. The ebony hinges with
brass rods look pretty sharp.

I hope to sell a little bit prior to Christmas and then spend the
winter producing for inventory.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent
woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be a
woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic frame went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

FWIW, just finished a couple of 'down n' dirty' tambour door "appliance
garages" last week that I had promised to a recent kitchen client, and
needed to assuage my guilty conscious before any more time passed:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90929-1407.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90930-0724.jpg

Being in a hurry, I used Rockler's tambour door mechanism:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90929-1411.jpg

Worked much better than I anticipated, although that could be because I
didn't follow the extremely vague, misleading, poorly written
instructions ... Apparently there is only one manufacturer, and plenty
of "retailers", but all roads lead to Rockler.

Next time I'll go back to the 'old board and plunge router' method.

Why would any one want an "appliance garage" any how??

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have several projects going. A route bit cabinet, an entertainment
center and 3 chairs being repaired.

The "newest" woodshop (house next door) remodel consists of
continueing to replace exterior siding and interior (perimeter walls)
wall-covering replacement. The other non-perimeter interior walls
have been removed and logs have been strategically placed with beams
for roof support and the like. Several new floor cabinets/work
benches have been made, with wall-attached shelving above. One other
floor cabinet/workbench has been cut out, ready for assembly, and the
open shelves above it have been built and installed.... face frames
not yet installed, though.

The upholstery shop has been 95% complete for at least 10 months.
Finish flooring and base boards need to be purchased and installed and
I need some better lighting, so new and/or more fixtures need to be
installed.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

Sounds like interesting and ambitious projects ... got any pictures?
Access to apbw? Fire away.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 4, 5:22 pm, Swingman wrote:
Sonny wrote:
[...]

He sounds very ambitious. Sonny, you're young, aren't you? Yes,
pictures, please. I took some pictures of my more modest effort to use
up scrap and move the crap. In the "Work in progress" album.
tomeshew.spaces.live.com Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Sonny wrote:
[...]

D'oh... http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

FWIW, just finished a couple of 'down n' dirty' tambour door
"appliance garages" last week that I had promised to a recent kitchen
client, and needed to assuage my guilty conscious before any more time
passed:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90929-1407.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90930-0724.jpg

Being in a hurry, I used Rockler's tambour door mechanism:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90929-1411.jpg

Worked much better than I anticipated, although that could be because
I didn't follow the extremely vague, misleading, poorly written
instructions ... Apparently there is only one manufacturer, and plenty
of "retailers", but all roads lead to Rockler.

Next time I'll go back to the 'old board and plunge router' method.

Why would any one want an "appliance garage" any how??

Appliance garages are often used by sadistic people to hide the cereal
from someone else in the morning. Sure, the counter tops are nice and
clear at 10pm, but at 10am it doesn't begin to matter until at least the
second spoonful of cereal! (Or coffee, if you like strong coffee. ;-))

Looks nice, Swingman.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic
frame went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together
for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Once was interested in model railroading.

Had the "Model Rail Road that Grows" mag as well as the "101 Track
Plans".

Found a neat 4x8 layout that had a double track, double reversing
loops and a few spurs in 101.

What I remember was the simplicity of the structure to support
everything.

A "L" fabrication front and back with more "L" fabrications at 90
degrees located as needed to provide a place to screw 1x* pieces to
support the track and scenery at the necessary elevations.

Made a control box that could be folded under when moving time came.

It was a design I found in one of the mags.

Ring any bells?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 04 Oct 2009 07:39:40 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent
woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be a
woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

I have the sawdust from 4 projects on the floor... well, in the trash
can because I sweep up every day...

1) 27 dovetailed cedar boxes for a wholesale customer. 20 of them
have a scroll sawed logo with 4 paw prints in cedar with walnut
beneath on the lid. First coat of finish went on tonight, shellac, to
be followed with arm-r-seal tomorrow and tues.

2) A jewelry box, the big brother to one I posted pics of a while
back, with the angled bubinga legs and figured maple drawer fronts,
and full extension slides that drew the ire of many. Still haven't
sold that one, but got a request for a larger version with 5 drawers
instead of 3.

I actually decided to shoot video all through the process to see if I
could edit together something I can promote with. A lot of futzing
around with a tripod. There's no video of me talking into the camera,
just work. Maybe I'll do a voice over after it's edited. I've got
over 50 gigs of HD video on the hard drive at this point. If you
think doing a glue-up is fun, try filming yourself doing a glue-up.
There's at least one humerous out take so far.

3) A prototype of a tiny walnut dovetailed box that will hold a really
fancy bracelet for another wholesale customer. It's a challenge
trying to come up with something nice that is easy enough to make.

http://www.krtwood.com/images/braceletproto1.jpg

Ended up using a vertical raised panel bit for the cove.

4) Another prototype of a small box for same customer, this one is to
hold and display 6 little, I guess they are picks. It's getting a
fluted base with a rabbet around it and haven't quite figured out the
top yet. I don't want to have to deal with miters but it's looking
like that's the only non-cheesy way to do it. The setup for the base
is going to be such a PITA for one little box that I'm just going to
make a bunch of them rather than just one prototype. If she doesn't
like it, oh well I wasted 1/2 a BF.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:0027a391$0$24371
:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

[...]

Sure does. I've got a copy of "Model Railroad that Grows" by Linn H.
Wescott in a box somewhere.

The construction method described is referred to as L-girder, and it's
got several positive aspects. Not only is it easy to build, but if you
purchase dimensional lumber you'd only need a cross cut hand saw and
screwdriver to assemble it. It does use a little more wood than "table
top" construction, but makes up for it with increased flexibility. (The
earth is not flat, why should your model railroad be?)

The control box stand doesn't ring a bell, but I'm sure if I looked hard
enough I could find some version or another in one of my older magazines.
They used to be full of neat easy projects like that.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent
woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be a
woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic frame
went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Puckdropper

Good timing. Finished the end tables this weekend. Picked up the Granite
tops on Friday and the handles from Horton Brass came in earlier in the
week. Will put pictures on my homepage in the coming weeks, I've got a
couple from inside the shop, but want to get some outside shots as well.

Interesting aside -- I had two of the MacKintosh handles I had gotten as
candidates for a previous project and ordered the same kind from Horton
Brass for the remaining 4 drawers on this project. The new ones came with
the same "1902 Hill House" impression on the back of the casting, but it is
obvious that they came from a different mold, they are a bit wider than the
old ones. This worked out OK, I used the thinner ones on the top two
drawers and the fatter ones on the bottom drawers. It makes sense given
how Horton casts that this would be the case, and I'm not disappointed, it
was just a piece of information for me to consider for future reference.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

The control box stand doesn't ring a bell, but I'm sure if I looked
hard
enough I could find some version or another in one of my older
magazines.
They used to be full of neat easy projects like that.

The control panel design was all mine.

Used to be in the biz designing automation control systems and then
building the control panels for them.

Before the days of programmable robots, it was known as "Hard
Automation".

Got tired of 80 hour work weeks so got into something else.

It had a graphic panel complete with zone control and indicating
lights, all built essentially from left overs from other jobs except
for the bat handled toggle switches.

Don't the mags have projects like that any more?

I'm certain with Westcott's passing, there have been some major
changes in the mags covering model railroading.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:0027c042$0$24371
:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

[...]

I've actually seen more good model railroading projects like a control
box in an electronics magazine (Nuts and Volts) than I have model
railroading magazines. It's a shame, as there's still a lot of people
out there that build for the fun of building but their work is of limited
interest to the model railroading magazines. (There are exceptions, of
course, and I don't keep up with more than about 2 model railroading
periodicals so my view of the world might be tilted.)

There have been some major changes in model railroading in the last 30
years. Besides the digital age, there's been a shift from kits to ready
to run. Even the "shake the box" kits are being phased out in place of
more expensive ready to run stuff.

The control box sounds cool. Zone control and indicator lights sounds
like a very necessary thing for a large layout run with conventional
power. (Digital Command Control eliminates the need for zone control.)

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 19:22:15 -0500, Swingman wrote:

FWIW, just finished a couple of 'down n' dirty' tambour door
"appliance garages" last week that I had promised to a recent kitchen
client, and needed to assuage my guilty conscious before any more time
passed:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90929-1407.jpg

How much of that tambour door construction do you build? Do you buy
the tambours pre made and just install them?

Any chance you have a picture of the inside track of one of those
tambours installations or something similar? thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 19:22:15 -0500, Swingman wrote:

FWIW, just finished a couple of 'down n' dirty' tambour door
"appliance garages" last week that I had promised to a recent kitchen
client, and needed to assuage my guilty conscious before any more time
passed:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90929-1407.jpg

How much of that tambour door construction do you build? Do you buy
the tambours pre made and just install them?

Built the "appliance garage" (generally do that as an integral part of a
corner wall cabinet, but there was no room for a corner wall cabinet in
this kitchen due to a window, and wall cab's being 15" deep, therefore
these were built separately).

Bought the "tambour door" itself. Although it is not difficult to make,
by the time you factor time and having to buy more canvas then you'll
ever need, it is much more cost effective to buy the tambours pre-made.
They are generally available in 16, 24, and 36" widths, and for kitchens
usually 18" high, and can be cut on the table saw in both width and
height to fit the job.

As far as a track mechanism you have a couple of choices - you can route
tracks in the side panels (done just using a rectangular board as a
guide, which is a fussy process to setup, and you have to do it twice)
or you can buy the mechanism you see in the third link ... which
apparently only Rockler sells.

Any chance you have a picture of the inside track of one of those
tambours installations or something similar? thanks

Simply a spring loaded dowel and a couple of plastic tracks. What you
see in the third link in the original post, is all there is to it.

Notable is that this particular mechanism works very smoothly and opens
with less effort that when the tambour door is in routed tracks, IME.

AAMOF, there is really nothing to a "appliance garage" except a three
sided face frame for the front and a couple of side panels, therefore
they are very light and just the upward pressure of opening the door
will generally lift one off the surface if it not tightly fit under the
wall cabinet when made after the fact.

These particular spring loaded mechanism do not do that, and can be
opened with one finger due to the spring, and are actually very easy to
install providing you pay no attention whatsoever to the instructions
that come with them.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Puckdropper" wrote:

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic
frame went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together
for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Once was interested in model railroading.

I could get completely LOST in model railroading, but I dare not go there... :-(

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

...are actually very easy to install providing you pay no attention
whatsoever to the instructions that come with them.
--

blinking eyes slowly
Instructions? Instructions?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 22:25:32 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

It had a graphic panel complete with zone control and indicating lights,
all built essentially from left overs from other jobs except for the bat
handled toggle switches.

Don't the mags have projects like that any more?

I'm certain with Westcott's passing, there have been some major changes
in the mags covering model railroading.

The percentage of modelers in model rr'ing seems to be very small any
more. The operators have taken over. Seems they'd prefer to buy rather
than build so they can get operating sooner - some even dispense with
scenery altogether. Of course the industry, including the magazines, is
happy to support the "buy, don't build" trend.

I like building models. I have a collection of MR back to 1959. I find
almost all the interesting projects are in the ones prior to 1980. I've
even built a simple throttle from an article.

Woodworking/turning/carving seems to one of the few hobby areas that are
bucking the trend. Anyone built their own computer anymore? I doubt
it :-).

As far as automation goes, I retired about the time customers wanted to
build real time control systems with Windoze :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Puckdropper" wrote:

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic
frame went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Once was interested in model railroading.

I could get completely LOST in model railroading, but I dare not go
there... :-(

It's one of those things you romanticize about doing.... then when you
finally take it up, you get about 3 hours in and you think, "What the
he!! am I doing?" and drop it.

For me, at least. I've seen other guys who stay on it like a bonsai
tree.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
FWIW, just finished a couple of 'down n' dirty' tambour door "appliance
garages" last week that I had promised to a recent kitchen client, and
needed to assuage my guilty conscious before any more time passed:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90929-1407.jpg

To use your words, "Well done.... Impeccable!" :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
w oodworking/turning/carving seems to one of the few hobby areas that

are
bucking the trend. Anyone built their own computer anymore? I doubt
it :-).

I build my own computers because that's the only way to get what I want
(mostly quiet!), and I'd like a solid-state hard drive (SSD) on my next one.

Although I mainly did it in high-school, I can make my own fishing
flies. During the last two years, I have been learning to play and
listen to the fiddle (old time). Admittedly, I'm spending more and more
time on learning woodworking.

It occurred to me yesterday that with the 15 pipe-clamps Mr. Hodgett
talked me into buying (he's a year older than I am) that I should be
able to make my own headboard and footboard for my bed (besides a
coffee-table and a router table and at least one workbench)!

So, I'm doing what I can to "buck the trend"--having a good time too!
Wish you all the same!

By the way, interestingly, it seems WoodCraft and Rockler are doing
anything but trying to "buck the trend"!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

The percentage of modelers in model rr'ing seems to be very small
any
more. The operators have taken over. Seems they'd prefer to buy
rather
than build so they can get operating sooner - some even dispense
with
scenery altogether. Of course the industry, including the
magazines, is
happy to support the "buy, don't build" trend.

The age of instant gratification.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

There have been some major changes in model railroading in the last
30
years. Besides the digital age, there's been a shift from kits to
ready
to run. Even the "shake the box" kits are being phased out in place
of
more expensive ready to run stuff.

More instant gratification, everybody is in the "hurry up and wait"
mode.

The control box sounds cool. Zone control and indicator lights
sounds
like a very necessary thing for a large layout run with conventional
power. (Digital Command Control eliminates the need for zone
control.)

It was only a 4x8 layout.

The panel was one of those "If you can't dazzle them with brillance,
baffle them with bull****" items.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

As far as automation goes, I retired about the time customers wanted
build real time control systems with Windoze :-).

Try that with a 6 station press line with interfacing "Gandy Dancers"
that is knocking out 58 hoods an hour.

Programmable controllers can handle the individual presses as well as
the gandy dancers, but the communication modules was another ball
game.

Co-processors running on OS-9 got the job done.

Those with a preference for ModBus AKA: "Turtle Bus" or Windows were
identified as rookies or day dreamers, take your pick.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:00460d00$0$9143
:

More instant gratification, everybody is in the "hurry up and wait"
mode.

Exactly. We're weirdos here, as we actually like the building process.

It was only a 4x8 layout.

The panel was one of those "If you can't dazzle them with brillance,
baffle them with bull****" items.

Lew

You mean something like building a box with random blinking lights that
the throttles plug in to and telling everyone "it makes the layout run
better" might actually work? It would... um... reduce the ringing
induced by solar radiation by filtering 103.3840 hZ signals.

lol

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

You mean something like building a box with random blinking lights
that
the throttles plug in to and telling everyone "it makes the layout
run
better" might actually work? It would... um... reduce the ringing
induced by solar radiation by filtering 103.3840 hZ signals.

As long as it looks good in the shower, you have a winner.

Lew