Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My Recent Project...

Whille the sawdust is not on the floor I did want to submit my recently
finished blanket chest. I have six grandchildren and this is the first of
six blanket chests.
It is based on a plan from FWW Mar/Apr 98 and made from Walnut and Beech.
The Beech came from Rockler and was described as "flame curly" and if you
look at the pic in APBW you will see the figure. The finish is GF two step
with Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal. The inside is done is Shellac.This is my
third woodworking project since getting back into the hobby after about 30
years.
Russ

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent
woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be a
woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic frame
went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 21, 8:33 am, "Russ Stanton" wrote:
Whille the sawdust is not on the floor I did want to submit my recently
finished blanket chest. I have six grandchildren and this is the first of
six blanket chests.
It is based on a plan from FWW Mar/Apr 98 and made from Walnut and Beech.
The Beech came from Rockler and was described as "flame curly" and if you
look at the pic in APBW you will see the figure. The finish is GF two step
with Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal. The inside is done is Shellac.This is my
third woodworking project since getting back into the hobby after about 30
years.
Russ

Looks as if I'll have to wait 'til DJ's site catches up with ABPW.
I've been making our new dining table: http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/
Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

[...]

DJ has caught up. That there's beautiful work. Through tenons, nice
grain. Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom

Is the top plywood only. I am working on a table design that would use
recycled pine flooring over plywood as the table top, but am having trouble
determining how to attach the flooring to the plywood. The flooring will
move with mositure but the plywood is very stable.
One thought is similar to what I did in the blanket chest, I used cedar
closet lining on the bottom which was glued to plywood but only a thin
stripe of glue down the center of each cedar plank. The original article on
building the blanket chest gave this as the author's method of attaching the
cedar to the plywood.
Think this would work for a table? I would also apply a contrasting hardwood
edge treatment around the perimeter of the plywood table top.
Russ
"tom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 23, 4:08 pm, "Russ Stanton" wrote:
Tom

Is the top plywood only. I am working on a table design that would use
recycled pine flooring over plywood as the table top, but am having trouble
determining how to attach the flooring to the plywood. The flooring will
move with mositure but the plywood is very stable.
One thought is similar to what I did in the blanket chest, I used cedar
closet lining on the bottom which was glued to plywood but only a thin
stripe of glue down the center of each cedar plank. The original article on
building the blanket chest gave this as the author's method of attaching the
cedar to the plywood.
Think this would work for a table? I would also apply a contrasting hardwood
edge treatment around the perimeter of the plywood table top.

My top will be about 84x46, trimmed with about 2.5 inches of solid
wood. How big is yours? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 23, 6:18 pm, "Russ Stanton" wrote:
I was planning to go to at least 96 x 46, perhaps as much as 108 x 48.

Yow, that's big. Well, what's the worst that could happen if it did
go all warped on you? Maybe build it in the more humid time of year,
so you can jam the pieces together tightly, and deal with whatever
falls through the cracks during drier times? Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom

Thanks for taking the time to think about my ideas. I will probably try my
approach and see what happens. The reason for the size is to try and get our
family around the table at holiday dinners. We have three children, each one
married with two children, so we would like to get 5 adults and 6 children
around the table when we are able to get them all to our house for the
holidays.

Russ
"tom" wrote in message
On Oct 23, 6:18 pm, "Russ Stanton" wrote:
I was planning to go to at least 96 x 46, perhaps as much as 108 x 48.

Yow, that's big. Well, what's the worst that could happen if it did
go all warped on you? Maybe build it in the more humid time of year,
so you can jam the pieces together tightly, and deal with whatever
falls through the cracks during drier times? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 10:35:27 -0500,
In newsgroup "rec.woodworking",
Article ,
Steve Turner wrote:

off to build a loft bed for my daughter. Pointers to good plans for
either of those are welcome*. :-)

Hey Steve,

This may be a little late, but I found a good set of bunk bed
plans that can easily be converted to a loft bed, simply by
omitting a frame board on the lower bunk. These worked good
for me, because they require a minimum of tools and
experience, and were very sturdy. If you're still interested,
the plans are at: http://bit.ly/8s3xt5