Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My Recent Project...

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:0027a391$0$24371
:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic
frame went
together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really
special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together
for
stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Once was interested in model railroading.

Had the "Model Rail Road that Grows" mag as well as the "101 Track
Plans".

Found a neat 4x8 layout that had a double track, double reversing
loops and a few spurs in 101.

What I remember was the simplicity of the structure to support
everything.

A "L" fabrication front and back with more "L" fabrications at 90
degrees located as needed to provide a place to screw 1x* pieces to
support the track and scenery at the necessary elevations.

Made a control box that could be folded under when moving time came.

It was a design I found in one of the mags.

Ring any bells?

Lew

Sure does. I've got a copy of "Model Railroad that Grows" by Linn H.
Wescott in a box somewhere.

The construction method described is referred to as L-girder, and it's
got several positive aspects. Not only is it easy to build, but if you
purchase dimensional lumber you'd only need a cross cut hand saw and
screwdriver to assemble it. It does use a little more wood than "table
top" construction, but makes up for it with increased flexibility. (The
earth is not flat, why should your model railroad be?)

The control box stand doesn't ring a bell, but I'm sure if I looked hard
enough I could find some version or another in one of my older magazines.
They used to be full of neat easy projects like that.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking