Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Guest

Dropped by right after breakfast, walked right up and introduced himself
as I was ripping stock for an appliance garage. Hung around for lunch,
begged part of my ham sandwich, then left with out so much as "by your
leave". Didn't lift a hand, but watched everything closely and appeared
to be taking notes.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1045.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1046.jpg

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Dropped by right after breakfast, walked right up and introduced himself
as I was ripping stock for an appliance garage. Hung around for lunch,
begged part of my ham sandwich, then left with out so much as "by your
leave". Didn't lift a hand, but watched everything closely and appeared
to be taking notes.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1045.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1046.jpg

:-)

They're very curious, when they're young like that.
We get them every spring, and they sure are cute.

Even when they get older, they're not aggressive, like people think.
That defensive pose they strike, when cornered, looks pretty viscous
with those crazy teeth and all and the hissing.

They also are not disease-ridden and dangerous to your pets, like many
think. Their body temperatures are actually too low to host most mammal
viruses like rabies.

Because they're almost blind when not in the dark, it's pretty easy to
catch them by just putting a box or crate right next to them. They'll
climb right inside, trying to escape the light.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
SUPPER!

Hehe ... weathers not quite right yet for possum sauce piquant. Hit 98
in shop this afternoon.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
SUPPER!

Hehe ... weathers not quite right yet for possum sauce piquant. Hit 98 in
shop this afternoon.

Yeah but "that" Hot Sauce would make'em taste OK. It was about 98 in my
shop today too along with a touch of humidity just over 97%. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow - I don't believe I've seen one live on the hoof (so to speak),

I usually see them next to a greasy stain at the side of the
road . . .

They are sorta cute . . .

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 15:43:40 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Swingman
wrote:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1046.jpg

Industrial spy.

The way the toes are splayed on that front foot is pretty cool. When I
was a kid I had a pet rat, so that little guy looks kinda cute to me.

My wife had a pet rat. They make quite good pets and a lot better
than some (hamsters and gerbils come to mind).

We don't get possums here in Saskatchewan, they can't handle the
winter. Wimps.

We had possums in Vermont. The ones here in Alabama wear armor. Oh,
wait. That's the woodchucks that are armored.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To prove to the woodchuck that it could be done.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-27, Leon wrote:

Yeah but "that" Hot Sauce would make'em taste OK. It was about 98 in my
shop today too......

It woulda been 98 in my shop, too. Mauser 98..... yum!

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

They're very curious, when they're young like that.
We get them every spring, and they sure are cute.

Even when they get older, they're not aggressive, like people think.
That defensive pose they strike, when cornered, looks pretty viscous
with those crazy teeth and all and the hissing.

They also are not disease-ridden and dangerous to your pets, like many
think. Their body temperatures are actually too low to host most mammal
viruses like rabies.

Because they're almost blind when not in the dark, it's pretty easy to
catch them by just putting a box or crate right next to them. They'll
climb right inside, trying to escape the light.

Many years ago, on a Sunday afternoon in the control room of a recording
studio, I was attempting to lay down a bass track on a tune that just
had to be finished that day. I was alone, there was no way to punch-in a
24 track in those days without re-winding and starting over, and only
one track was left open so I couldn't comp it. I'd already had half a
dozen shots at it from the top and was finally in the pocket and
grooving on the last chorus when I caught a movement out the corner of
my eye.

WTF? This was in a big city, no way in hell a curly haired, white, baby
possum is going to walk into a recording studio, in broad daylight,
downtown, in a big city, right?

Like hell!

Little **** walked right up to my tapping right foot, set himself down,
looked up, and comfortably made himself an audience.

But, there was also NO way in hell I was going to stop playing, even for
Godzilla, with only 30 seconds left to go on the best take of the day!

Only slight rattled, I managed to keep the groove, and while holding the
last note long enough for the long fade the tune was supposed have, that
little **** looked up at me as if say "Well, that wasn't all that bad,
might wanna keep that one!", yawned, turned around and walked out.

(He did show up about a week later at the adjoining club next door and
scared the **** out of the girls behind the bar ... but that's another
story.)

That's twice now .... deja vu all over again.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
SUPPER!

Hehe ... weathers not quite right yet for possum sauce piquant. Hit 98 in
shop this afternoon.

Yeah but "that" Hot Sauce would make'em taste OK. It was about 98 in my
shop today too along with a touch of humidity just over 97%. ;~)

102 and 10% in the AZ desert.

- Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
news
Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
SUPPER!
Hehe ... weathers not quite right yet for possum sauce piquant. Hit 98
in shop this afternoon.

Yeah but "that" Hot Sauce would make'em taste OK. It was about 98 in my
shop today too along with a touch of humidity just over 97%. ;~)

102 and 10% in the AZ desert.

And I know from experience that with that kind of humidity and temp it
feels like 70 to us from Houston. Last time my wife and I were in Moab the
temp was around 107 at noon. Mixed with the low humidity we found it
entertaining to visit the gift shops and the owners commenting how hot it
was. It was a delightful day for us.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Dropped by right after breakfast, walked right up and introduced himself
as I was ripping stock for an appliance garage. Hung around for lunch,
begged part of my ham sandwich, then left with out so much as "by your
leave". Didn't lift a hand, but watched everything closely and appeared to
be taking notes.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1045.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1046.jpg

--

Don't take pictures. Put him to work! He should be able to do SOMETHING.
And you won't have pay him much either. G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 3:52*pm, Stuart wrote:
In article ,
* *-MIKE- wrote:

They also are not disease-ridden and dangerous to your pets, like many
think. Their body temperatures are actually too low to host most mammal
viruses like rabies.

Rats carry and spread 35 diseases. In the middle ages, they wiped out 25%
of the population of europe.

Not a rat, Stuart, but an American marsupial known as an opposum,
supposedly a delicacy in the southern US.

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Many years ago, on a Sunday afternoon in the control room of a recording
studio, I was attempting to lay down a bass track on a tune that just
had to be finished that day. I was alone, there was no way to punch-in a
24 track in those days without re-winding and starting over, and only
one track was left open so I couldn't comp it.

Fellow musoid... didn't know.

Shame you didn't have a digital work station, you could've looped the
section and let it record over and over, saving each take as you went.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

Dropped by right after breakfast, walked right up and introduced himself
as I was ripping stock for an appliance garage. Hung around for lunch,
begged part of my ham sandwich, then left with out so much as "by your
leave". Didn't lift a hand, but watched everything closely and appeared to
be taking notes.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1045.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1046.jpg

--

Don't take pictures. Put him to work! He should be able to do SOMETHING.
And you won't have pay him much either. G

They do work. They eat about everything organic laying around. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
-MIKE- wrote:

They also are not disease-ridden and dangerous to your pets, like many
think. Their body temperatures are actually too low to host most mammal
viruses like rabies.

Rats carry and spread 35 diseases. In the middle ages, they wiped out 25%
of the population of europe.

Glad to hear it. What's your point?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Like Mike, I'm a music person. I've never had 'em in my studio (in the
basement) but they've been in my shop which is a door away from the
basement.

Along with being a "muso", I'm a city dweller. Here in Baltimore, I value
possum, foxes, racoons, etc. If they are hanging around, the rats haven't
taken over. It's worth keeping in mind.

Ed

"Swingman" wrote in message
-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:35:10 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , krw
wrote:

We had possums in Vermont. The ones here in Alabama wear armor.

I think I saw some of those in Florida... Armordillos?

Yep, just another species of road kill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Many years ago, on a Sunday afternoon in the control room of a
recording studio, I was attempting to lay down a bass track on a tune
that just had to be finished that day. I was alone, there was no way
to punch-in a 24 track in those days without re-winding and starting
over, and only one track was left open so I couldn't comp it.

Fellow musoid... didn't know.

Shame you didn't have a digital work station, you could've looped the
section and let it record over and over, saving each take as you went.

My very first exposure to a digital recorder as an engineer in the late
70's was the Sony PCM-F10 ... that was cutting edge, high tech that only
the big boys got to play with. Then I personally bought the F1/VCR combo
and carried it around to various studios to mix to in the early 80's.

We thought we were hot **** with digital anything back in those days ...
and I still hate digital as much as I ever did. Give me a 2" 24 track,
smpte'd to a 16 trk 2" for drums and bass, running 30ips, and I'll
tickle your bottom with bass and kick like you haven't heard in 20 years!

I still play, but realized I'd lost the "golden ears" about 10 years ago
for studio work, although the last album I engineered/produced was about
three years ago ... I got tired of turning the control room monitors to
11 to answer the question "What was that (noise)?"

I really don't miss the pro studio life ... it was a crazy life, and a
helluva lot of fun, but gets old the older you get.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 4:35*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Stuart wrote:
In article ,
* *-MIKE- wrote:

They also are not disease-ridden and dangerous to your pets, like many
think. Their body temperatures are actually too low to host most mammal
viruses like rabies.

Rats carry and spread 35 diseases. In the middle ages, they wiped out 25%
of the population of europe.

Glad to hear it. *What's your point?

What is the point of your gratuitous sarcasm? This is not a political
thread.

Had you bothered to look at Stuart's address, you would have seen it
end with "uk". Maybe, as a consequence, you might have realized that
he may not be entirely familiar with southern American fauna and
mistook the possum for a rat.

I think an apology is order.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:15:48 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

SUPPER!

marSOUPial?

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

Dropped by right after breakfast, walked right up and introduced
himself as I was ripping stock for an appliance garage. Hung around
for lunch, begged part of my ham sandwich, then left with out so
much as "by your leave". Didn't lift a hand, but watched everything
closely and appeared to be taking notes.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1045.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1046.jpg

--

Don't take pictures. Put him to work! He should be able to do
SOMETHING. And you won't have pay him much either. G

And you can claim a rebate for hiring a handicapped employee -- didn't you
notice his left eye is bad, he is half blind, no stereoscopic vision.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Sep 27, 4:35 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Stuart wrote:
In article ,
-MIKE- wrote:
They also are not disease-ridden and dangerous to your pets, like many
think. Their body temperatures are actually too low to host most mammal
viruses like rabies.
Rats carry and spread 35 diseases. In the middle ages, they wiped out 25%
of the population of europe.

Glad to hear it. What's your point?

What is the point of your gratuitous sarcasm? This is not a political
thread.

Had you bothered to look at Stuart's address, you would have seen it
end with "uk". Maybe, as a consequence, you might have realized that
he may not be entirely familiar with southern American fauna and
mistook the possum for a rat.

I think an apology is order.

Luigi

Get over it. He's a big boy, I think he can stick up for himself.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

I think I saw some of those in Florida... Armordillos?

SFWIW:

Goodyear Tire has/had a test track a few miles outside San Angelo, TX,
which I'm told is/was the sheep capital of the USA.

There was a 5 mile high speed oval for testing automotive tires and an
8 mile oval for life testing of truck tires.

They had left the brush in the infield of the 8 mile track which made
great habitant for rattlesnakes and the occasional armadillo.

Let me tell you driving at 55 MPH in the hot sun of San Angelo in July
can be downright miserable as well as boring as the devil.

The night shift was a little better, but not much.

(Spending a little time at the test track made you appreciate why
people wear cowboy boots in that part of the world.)

The rattlesnakes would come out of the infield and crawl out onto the
track to sun themselves which created an opportunity for the drivers
to relieve the boredom.

Driver would run over a snake, then stop and cut off the rattle, get
back in the truck and keep going until rest break, when he would grab
a hammer, some 16d nails and nail rattle(s) up on a 4x8 sheet of
plywood in the rest station.

During my visit, they had filled up 2-3 plywood sheets.

Once and a while an armadillo would come running out on the track.

The object was to hit the armadillo and not kill it, but simply to
knock it out of it's shell.

Makes life easier for the other predators as well as demonstrate the
driver's skill.

Amazing how resourceful the human animal can be.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
-MIKE- wrote:

They also are not disease-ridden and dangerous to your pets, like many
think. Their body temperatures are actually too low to host most mammal
viruses like rabies.

Rats carry and spread 35 diseases. In the middle ages, they wiped out 25%
of the population of europe.

There are some ladies in here who think I was too harsh on you in my
previous reply, Stuart.
Apparently, you forget a smiley face and people get their panties in a
wad.

Sorry about that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 10:20*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Stuart wrote:
In article ,
* *-MIKE- wrote:

They also are not disease-ridden and dangerous to your pets, like many
think. Their body temperatures are actually too low to host most mammal
viruses like rabies.

Rats carry and spread 35 diseases. In the middle ages, they wiped out 25%
of the population of europe.

There are some ladies in here who think I was too harsh on you in my
previous reply, Stuart.
Apparently, you forget a smiley face and people get their panties in a
wad.

Sorry about that.

/That/ was mature.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Dropped by right after breakfast, walked right up and introduced himself
as I was ripping stock for an appliance garage. Hung around for lunch,
begged part of my ham sandwich, then left with out so much as "by your
leave". Didn't lift a hand, but watched everything closely and appeared
to be taking notes.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1045.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1046.jpg

Kinda risky on his part walkin' in on somebody from Louisiana, wasn't
it? :-)

Rob Leatham
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:58:43 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...
Leon wrote:
SUPPER!

Hehe ... weathers not quite right yet for possum sauce piquant. Hit 98 in
shop this afternoon.

Yeah but "that" Hot Sauce would make'em taste OK. It was about 98 in my
shop today too along with a touch of humidity just over 97%. ;~)

Averaged about 85 in the shop today.. with the AC on most of the day.. about 106
outside..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
-MIKE- wrote:

They also are not disease-ridden and dangerous to your pets, like
many think. Their body temperatures are actually too low to host
most mammal viruses like rabies.

Rats carry and spread 35 diseases. In the middle ages, they wiped out
25% of the population of europe.

Uh, no. It was the fleas on the rats that carried the Bubonic Plague germ.
And there were a LOT of rats.

The rats multiplied, in large measure, because the people killed off the
cats. Cats were thought to be Satan's familiars.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 5:04*pm, Swingman wrote:
Dropped by right after breakfast, walked right up and introduced himself
as I was ripping stock for an appliance garage. Hung around for lunch,
begged part of my ham sandwich, then left with out so much as "by your
leave". Didn't lift a hand, but watched everything closely and appeared
to be taking notes.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1046.jpg

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Should I ship you one of my shop blacksnakes?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-28, HeyBub wrote:
Stuart wrote:

Rats carry and spread 35 diseases. In the middle ages, they wiped out
25% of the population of europe.

Uh, no. It was the fleas on the rats that carried the Bubonic Plague germ.
And there were a LOT of rats.

Theories not fully accepted by all. Some experts dismiss the rat/flea
theory because it doesn't fully support the incredibly rabid spread of
the disease across Europe.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 3:04*pm, Swingman wrote:
Dropped by right after breakfast, walked right up and introduced himself
as I was ripping stock for an appliance garage. Hung around for lunch,
begged part of my ham sandwich, then left with out so much as "by your
leave". Didn't lift a hand, but watched everything closely and appeared
to be taking notes.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1046.jpg

Any chance he has an inside line on a secret stash of lumber???
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 28, 8:51*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Cats were thought to be Satan's familiars.

They bloody well ARE, dagnabbit!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-28, HeyBub wrote:
Stuart wrote:

Rats carry and spread 35 diseases. In the middle ages, they wiped
out 25% of the population of europe.

Uh, no. It was the fleas on the rats that carried the Bubonic Plague
germ. And there were a LOT of rats.

Theories not fully accepted by all. Some experts dismiss the rat/flea
theory because it doesn't fully support the incredibly rabid spread of
the disease across Europe.

"The persecution of cats in Europe is often overlooked as a contributing
factor in the spread of plague. In years prior to the outbreak, cats had
been vilified and slain in mass, due to their growing popular association
with Satan and witches. Pope Gregory IX declared cats' association with the
devil in the early 1200s. The mass slaughter of cats preceding the arrival
of infected rats greatly reduced a potential predator of the rat, allowing
rat populations to flourish unnaturally. "

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-28, HeyBub wrote:

"The persecution of cats in Europe is often overlooked as a contributing
factor in the spread of plague. In years prior to the outbreak, cats had
been vilified and slain in mass, due to their growing popular association
with Satan and witches. Pope Gregory IX declared cats' association with the
devil in the early 1200s. The mass slaughter of cats preceding the arrival
of infected rats greatly reduced a potential predator of the rat, allowing
rat populations to flourish unnaturally. "

"Many modern researchers have argued that the disease was more likely
to have been viral (that is, not bubonic plague), pointing to the
absence of rats from some parts of Europe that were badly affected and
to the conviction of people at the time that the disease was spread by
direct human contact. According to the accounts of the time, the black
death was extremely virulent, unlike the nineteenth and early
twentieth century bubonic plague."

So, we have different views, as I stated. I make no claim of the validity
of one over the other, only that more than one theory exists.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote:
On 2009-09-28, HeyBub wrote:

[...]

Agreed. In my rendition, the rats carried infected fleas. In your
possibility, I guess the humans carried the infected fleas.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-29, HeyBub wrote:

Agreed. In my rendition, the rats carried infected fleas. In your
possibility, I guess the humans carried the infected fleas.

Not too bright, are you.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-29, HeyBub wrote:

Agreed. In my rendition, the rats carried infected fleas. In your
possibility, I guess the humans carried the infected fleas.

Not too bright, are you.

Bubba is just up to his usual tricks of spreading half-truths &
misinformation about health issues.

If one bothers to read up on the black death or the plague, one
quickly finds out that the European Yersinia pestis epidemic probably
originated from rat fleas that spread to humans. However, it is not
only carried by fleas, but the infection also has pulmonary and blood
infection versions. The rapid spread in Europe was not only the flea
version, but also the pulmonary version where individuals could get
infected from droplets emitted from infected people coughing and
spitting.

Luigi

Guest Bed Leveled UK diy 4 March 13th 09 04:03 PM
Kitchen cupboard for guest house mjbaty01 Home Repair 2 March 6th 07 08:10 PM
our female guest DeepDiver Metalworking 50 May 13th 05 01:56 AM
Electric not working in Guest house Sue Home Ownership 3 May 5th 05 06:50 PM
unwanted guest Kathy Home Repair 132 February 6th 05 03:41 PM