Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Shop Guest

-MIKE- wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Many years ago, on a Sunday afternoon in the control room of a
recording studio, I was attempting to lay down a bass track on a tune
that just had to be finished that day. I was alone, there was no way
to punch-in a 24 track in those days without re-winding and starting
over, and only one track was left open so I couldn't comp it.

Fellow musoid... didn't know.

Shame you didn't have a digital work station, you could've looped the
section and let it record over and over, saving each take as you went.

My very first exposure to a digital recorder as an engineer in the late
70's was the Sony PCM-F10 ... that was cutting edge, high tech that only
the big boys got to play with. Then I personally bought the F1/VCR combo
and carried it around to various studios to mix to in the early 80's.

We thought we were hot **** with digital anything back in those days ...
and I still hate digital as much as I ever did. Give me a 2" 24 track,
smpte'd to a 16 trk 2" for drums and bass, running 30ips, and I'll
tickle your bottom with bass and kick like you haven't heard in 20 years!

I still play, but realized I'd lost the "golden ears" about 10 years ago
for studio work, although the last album I engineered/produced was about
three years ago ... I got tired of turning the control room monitors to
11 to answer the question "What was that (noise)?"

I really don't miss the pro studio life ... it was a crazy life, and a
helluva lot of fun, but gets old the older you get.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08