DeepDiver

Default our female guest

"Ignoramus11139" wrote in message
We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with
my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included,
was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What... no photos?

ff

Ignoramus11139 wrote:

We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with
my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included,
was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...

Is this a Mother's Day story?

ff
Lane

On Sun, 08 May 2005 04:28:29 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:
"Ignoramus11139" wrote in message
We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with
my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included,
was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What... no photos?

I do have photos, however they are private.

Then why are you teasing us with this story? grin
Lane

Clark Magnuson

What happened next?
Did you wake up in a puddle?

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Ignoramus11139" wrote in message
We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with
my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included,
was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...

Chuckle!

Yep, it's a real shocker when you find women that have such skills. I
recall with fondness a gal named Sue that had more knowledge of bearings,
sprockets and gears than everyone at her place of employment, and that
included her boss.

Harold

John Ings

On Sun, 8 May 2005 01:42:35 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

Yep, it's a real shocker when you find women that have such skills.

And some of them are likely to be grandmothers.
Who do you think were running the machine tools in the factories
during WW2?

Steve Smith

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Ignoramus11139" wrote in message

We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with
my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included,
was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...

Chuckle!

Yep, it's a real shocker when you find women that have such skills. I
recall with fondness a gal named Sue that had more knowledge of bearings,
sprockets and gears than everyone at her place of employment, and that
included her boss.

Harold

In college a friend had a bad wheel bearing on her car. She wanted me to
do it for cash, which I turned down, but I offered to help her do it for
free. She dove right in, got greasy and we had it apart quickly. I had
been doing a *lot* of repairs to my car, and we took the bearing down to
the place I bought parts at to be pressed off the axel.

While we waited, there were several barely heard comments about women
working on cars. Theresa didn't pay any attention to them. She was
playing with the new bearing, looking at all the pieces. After a minute
or two, she started telling me in detail how the different parts of the
thing was made. The guys making cracks got pretty quiet. Theresa was a
materials science major at MIT.

Steve
Don Foreman

"Steve Smith" wrote in message

In college a friend had a bad wheel bearing on her car. She wanted me to
do it for cash, which I turned down, but I offered to help her do it for
free. She dove right in, got greasy and we had it apart quickly. I had
been doing a *lot* of repairs to my car, and we took the bearing down to
the place I bought parts at to be pressed off the axel.

While we waited, there were several barely heard comments about women
working on cars. Theresa didn't pay any attention to them. She was playing
with the new bearing, looking at all the pieces. After a minute or two,
she started telling me in detail how the different parts of the thing was
made. The guys making cracks got pretty quiet. Theresa was a materials
science major at MIT.

Wonder if it was the same Theresa that I worked with on a couple of
projects at HON during the '90s. She had an MSME from MIT earned perhaps
in the early to mid '80s. Tools fit in her hands just fine.

larry g

Thanks for the pictures. A couple of comments...Gentlemen, there is no
offensive metal on the left hand of this lovely lass so all who have asked
in the past for a proper mate The line forms to the left.. A bit of
training will be needed to get her to close the drawer in the bench so as it
will not fill with chips, A lesson that I have learned 4-5 times in the
recent past. Thanks Iggy for blessing us with the pictures and keeping
hope alive.
lg
no neat sig line

"Ignoramus8220" wrote in message
On 8 May 2005 04:16:40 GMT, Ignoramus11139
wrote:
We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with
my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included,
was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...

pictures

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mww/

JohnM

Ignoramus11139 wrote:
We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with
my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included,
was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...

Very cool. I was pounding out some wrought iron a few years ago and
the old lady wanted to try.. Didn't take more than a few minutes and she
was holding and applying the hammer like she'd done it for years..

John

Mike Fields

On Sat, 7 May 2005 22:21:26 -0700, Lane lane wrote:

"Ignoramus11139" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 May 2005 04:28:29 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:
"Ignoramus11139" wrote in

message
We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with
my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included,
was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What... no photos?

I do have photos, however they are private.

Then why are you teasing us with this story? grin

Here are the photos, with the face edited out for privacy.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mww/

I thought maybe you had left the photo off because it was that
naked welder someone posted a while back (well, she did have
helmet, shoes and gloves on ... )

Mike Fields

"larry g" wrote in message
Thanks for the pictures. A couple of comments...Gentlemen, there is no
offensive metal on the left hand of this lovely lass so all who have asked
in the past for a proper mate The line forms to the left.. A bit of

On the other hand (so to speak) she may simply be following
the safety guidelines of no jewelry etc. around machinery (and
a lathe can take it off pretty quick ... )

mikey

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 8 May 2005 08:33:41 -0700, the inscrutable "larry g"
spake:

Thanks for the pictures. A couple of comments...Gentlemen, there is no
offensive metal on the left hand of this lovely lass so all who have asked
in the past for a proper mate The line forms to the left.. A bit of

Yeah, she could play in my shop any time.

training will be needed to get her to close the drawer in the bench so as it
will not fill with chips, A lesson that I have learned 4-5 times in the
recent past. Thanks Iggy for blessing us with the pictures and keeping
hope alive.

Long and loose sleeves aren't a good idea around spinny machinery,
either. Think we could talk her into machining naked, for safety?
Then I'd -really- want pics. domg

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.
----------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Green

On Sun, 08 May 2005 12:01:50 -0400, JohnM wrote:

Ignoramus11139 wrote:

We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with
my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included,
was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...

Very cool. I was pounding out some wrought iron a few years ago and
the old lady wanted to try.. Didn't take more than a few minutes and she
was holding and applying the hammer like she'd done it for years..

very impressive!

My own wife is, in fact, good at putting furniture together.

John

Mine has been a godsend during the build process of my current project
(a homebuilt CNC router/engraver). Always there to hold a part, paint
the frame, work a wrench or double check my soldering (her eyes are way
younger and better than mine....lol). It helps that she was the first
female to ever take 'shop class' at her high school too I guess. Mind
you the downside is we are way behind on the domestic chores ;-).

--
Larry Green
William Wixon

"Larry Green" wrote in message
.. .

Mine has been a godsend during the build process of my current project (a
homebuilt CNC router/engraver). Always there to hold a part, paint the
frame, work a wrench or double check my soldering (her eyes are way
younger and better than mine....lol). It helps that she was the first
female to ever take 'shop class' at her high school too I guess. Mind you
the downside is we are way behind on the domestic chores ;-).

--
Larry Green

did you guys see that post a while back about the married couple building a
submarine? wow! that is one big and ambitious project. especially because
they started out with no metalworking skills. i wish them much success and
fun with their sub.

b.w.

Lane

Here are the photos, with the face edited out for privacy.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mww/

Long sleves around a lathe? I wouldn't do it.

Lane

John Sefton

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message

Here are the photos, with the face edited out for privacy.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mww/

Long sleeves around a lathe? I wouldn't do it.

Indeed! Having her jacket open and flapping around isn't exactly worksafe,
either.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"John Sefton" wrote in message

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message

Here are the photos, with the face edited out for privacy.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mww/

Long sleeves around a lathe? I wouldn't do it.

Indeed! Having her jacket open and flapping around isn't exactly worksafe,
either.

Come on, guys. Give the gal credit where due. She wasn't there to show off
her prowess on machines, she was there for the child's birthday......

How many of us have found ourselves in a circumstance where we weren't
appropriately attired for a particular occasion? Did you really expect her
to show up in a machinist's apron with her hair in a pony tail?

Harold

John Sefton

"John Sefton" wrote in message

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message

Here are the photos, with the face edited out for privacy.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mww/

Long sleeves around a lathe? I wouldn't do it.

Indeed! Having her jacket open and flapping around isn't exactly

worksafe,
either.

Come on, guys. Give the gal credit where due. She wasn't there to show

off
her prowess on machines, she was there for the child's birthday......

Wise old scout saying: "Be prepared" :^)

How many of us have found ourselves in a circumstance where we weren't
appropriately attired for a particular occasion? Did you really expect

her
to show up in a machinist's apron with her hair in a pony tail?

Not without a hair net! Heh, heh!

Christopher Tidy

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"John Sefton" wrote in message

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message

Here are the photos, with the face edited out for privacy.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mww/

Long sleeves around a lathe? I wouldn't do it.

Indeed! Having her jacket open and flapping around isn't exactly worksafe,
either.

Come on, guys. Give the gal credit where due. She wasn't there to show off
her prowess on machines, she was there for the child's birthday......

How many of us have found ourselves in a circumstance where we weren't
appropriately attired for a particular occasion? Did you really expect her
to show up in a machinist's apron with her hair in a pony tail?

Yes guys. You're just determined to argue that she's incompetent :-D.
She does have the glasses on and her hair tied back.

Chris

John Sefton

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

[...]

Well, yes, she does get points for that...it's just that in my
impressionable days as an apprentice, I once saw a guy get his sleeve
wrapped around a piece of metal he was turning on a lathe - big gash along
the length of his forearm, lots of blood - that sort of thing. So I guess
it's coloured me a little sensitive to the issue of shop safety...

Mind you, there're plenty of pictures on the web of guys working in their
capacities as amateur machinists that make my hair stand on end, too!

jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

How many of us have found ourselves in a circumstance where we weren't
appropriately attired for a particular occasion? Did you really expect her
to show up in a machinist's apron with her hair in a pony tail?

No kidding. Reading the responses here makes me realize why
women shy away from shops.

I have enough trouble convincing males in my labs to wear safety
glasses, much less keep the drawers closed or the workbench
sanitized.

Though I honestly don't like those goggles she was wearing. They're
too cumbersome for wearing all the time, and when hung up they
invariably wind up lenses down, which means they collect all kinds
of swarf, dust, and junk.

I've taught my family that a) they can expect to find good safety
eyewear in my shops, b) they're required to wear it, and c)
it's a darn good idea to wipe out or otherwise dust out whatever
is *in* any glasses or goggles they're not familiar with.
In my shops glasses are kept in clean zip-lock bags to prevent
the 'eyefull of crap' effect.

I think that lady was doing just fine at her machine.

Jim

please reply to:
Gunner

On 8 May 2005 14:03:28 GMT, Ignoramus8220
wrote:

On 8 May 2005 04:16:40 GMT, Ignoramus11139 wrote:
We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with
my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included,
was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...

pictures

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mww/

Moderately tall, blond, the body looks fair, early to mid 20s based on
the hands, which has no wedding ring....

Does she like cowboys?

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
DeepDiver

"jim rozen" wrote in message

Though I honestly don't like those goggles she was wearing.
They're too cumbersome for wearing all the time,

Personally, I prefer (and wear) full face shields like this 3M unit:

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...zEjbKBZZZZ 8-

Easy to clean (not a lot of small nooks and crannies to collect junk), great
peripheral visibility, no fogging, more comfortable, and easy to raise/lower
without removing from head. But most importantly, they protect the entire
face from flying swarf (and possible high-speed projectiles which I would
not want to catch in my mouth or other part of my face).

and when hung up they invariably wind up lenses down, which
means they collect all kinds of swarf, dust, and junk.

In my shops glasses are kept in clean zip-lock bags to prevent
the 'eyefull of crap' effect.

I store my respirators in zip lock bags (after cleaning and air-drying), but
I simply hang my face shields. The shields hang nicely with the
polycarbonate lens in a vertical orientation so they hardly collect any
dust.

I think that lady was doing just fine at her machine.

Following this thread, I've been reluctant to criticize her (after all, I
did ask for the pictures). But I have to admit, seeing the long sleeves and
open jacket front hanging into the lathe did make me instinctively cringe.
I'll graciously assume that she was just keeping warm while setting up the
job, and removed her jacket before powering-up the machine.

In any case, I wouldn't take the other poster's comments as vindictive or
nasty, but rather as constructive (and instructive) criticism. I'm sure we'd
all like to see this fine young lady machinist maintain her health (and all
her limbs!) so that she can continue making chips well into the future.

Regards,
Michael

JohnM

William Wixon wrote:

did you guys see that post a while back about the married couple building a
submarine? wow! that is one big and ambitious project. especially because
they started out with no metalworking skills. i wish them much success and
fun with their sub.

b.w.

I also wish them well, but they sure could have made things easier on
themselves by asking for a bit of advice here. Remarkable amount of
knowledge here, amazes me some of the obscure subjects that someone
knows a bunch about.

John

pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Gunner wrote back on Mon,
09 May 2005 02:05:31 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

On 8 May 2005 04:16:40 GMT, Ignoramus11139 wrote:
We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with
my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included,
was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...

pictures

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mww/

Moderately tall, blond, the body looks fair, early to mid 20s based on
the hands, which has no wedding ring....

She's a machinist, or used to working around machinery. Machinist who
wear rings get called "Nine Fingered" if they don't get named "Gimpy",
"Stubby" or other sobriquets.

Does she like cowboys?

Are there any more like her at home?

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich.
artfulbodger

jim rozen wrote:

No kidding. Reading the responses here makes me realize why
women shy away from shops.

I spent much of last year finally learning to weld. I had the time
on my hands, so enrolled full time at the local tech school, where
all the other students were half my age. (They couldn't understand
that I was there just for the fun. "Fun is when you go to the beach,
dawg. This here's work, know what I'm sayin'?")

The best student in class was covered with tattoos and built like
King Kong (though he talked like Tweety Bird, which kind of spoiled
the effect). The second, third, and fourth best were three girls,
petite, skilled, and damn-the-torpedoes determined. My favorite was
a pretty young mom from BossTown: she must've been about five-two,
her hair color changed by the day, and outside of class she was
always dressed to kill. She was sweet as could be if she liked you,
but God help you if she didn't, 'cause she'd make sure you knew about
it. She worked like hell and man, could she weld.

But the really, reeeally gorgeous one was in the shop next door,
working on semis all day, learning to be a diesel mechanic. She used
to see the student beauticians coming out of class, discussing
scissors. She'd heft her big socket wrench, and snort, and roll her
eyes, and get back to work.

What tickled me was not just that this seemed normal to the girls,
but that none of the guys saw anything unusual about it, either. (Or
if they did, they bloody well kept their mouths shut, which was
smart.)

Pete

--
Artful Bodger
http://www.artfulbodger.net
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Moderately tall, blond, the body looks fair, early to mid 20s based on
the hands, which has no wedding ring....

Heh. She took it off because she was running a lathe!

Does she like cowboys?

What, you know a cowboy in need of a mate?

Jim

please reply to:
Jeff Wisnia

Ignoramus11139 wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2005 04:28:29 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:

"Ignoramus11139" wrote in message

We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with
my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included,
was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What... no photos?

I do have photos, however they are private.

Izzat because ther ONLY thing she was wearing was protective eyeware?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 8 May 2005 17:07:39 -0700, the inscrutable "Harold and Susan
Vordos" spake:

Come on, guys. Give the gal credit where due. She wasn't there to show off
her prowess on machines, she was there for the child's birthday......

We did, but we also noted the safety violations.

How many of us have found ourselves in a circumstance where we weren't
appropriately attired for a particular occasion?

Likely ALL.

Did you really expect her
to show up in a machinist's apron with her hair in a pony tail?

Do you drive without a seat belt? Do you bend over a fan belt or
machinery with a heavy gold chain around your neck? Do you stand
in the water while doing electrical work bare-handed with the power
still turned on?

Sane people would answer "No" to all the above. 99.999% of the time
seatbelts aren't absolutely necessary, but it's that 0.001% of the
time that you play for. I've needed my seat belt just 3 times in my
life and it has saved my life twice and prevented an accident the
other. And we've all seen gory pictures of what happened to the guy
with the necktie/sleeves/gloves/long hair over the lathe, right?

If I'm not dressed for the occasion, I'll remove the unsafe items and
only THEN go to it, but I DO try to remember safety when it comes to
potentially losing a hand, an arm, or a leg, thanks.

That said, I usually work with the circuit breaker still on. It's a
known risk, I accept responsibility for it, and I'm careful (and
usually nitrile gloved.) Oh, I drive fast, too.

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 9 May 2005 00:38:08 +0000 (UTC), the inscrutable Christopher
Tidy spake:

Yes guys. You're just determined to argue that she's incompetent :-D.
She does have the glasses on and her hair tied back.

WRONG! We all pointed out safety violations, not incompetence. Nobody
said anything negative about the lovely lass.

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design
Gunner

On 9 May 2005 05:48:52 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Moderately tall, blond, the body looks fair, early to mid 20s based on
the hands, which has no wedding ring....

Heh. She took it off because she was running a lathe!

No ring line visible.

Does she like cowboys?

What, you know a cowboy in need of a mate?

Jim

Depends on the woman.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Gunner

wrote:

On 8 May 2005 04:16:40 GMT, Ignoramus11139 wrote:
We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with
my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included,
was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...

pictures

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mww/

Moderately tall, blond, the body looks fair, early to mid 20s based on
the hands, which has no wedding ring....

Does she like cowboys?

Can't really tell any private details, but let me just say that there
is a few survivalism related ones that I will omit. Some people do fun
things.

Cool. Tell her she has a fan.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

What, you know a cowboy in need of a mate?

Depends on the woman.

I thought you were more of a machinery kinda guy.
When was the last time you rode a horse?

Jim

please reply to:
jim rozen

In article , Larry Jaques says...

If I'm not dressed for the occasion, I'll remove the unsafe items and
only THEN go to it, but I DO try to remember safety when it comes to
potentially losing a hand, an arm, or a leg, thanks.

Ah, but do you wear safety glass *all* the time when working in the
shop or on vehicles?

I've caught myself a bunch of times recently, working on stuff
after having taking my glasses off - the trouble is my close
focus is going away, so whereas before I was able to work on stuff
with the far-vision glasses on, now they have to come off.

So I've made it a point to start seeding the shop with safety
glasses wherever I might need them.

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , Jeff Wisnia says...

I do have photos, however they are private.

Izzat because ther ONLY thing she was wearing was protective eyeware?

I hope she's not reading this thread.... but I suspect she is!

Jim

please reply to:
Christopher Tidy

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2005 00:38:08 +0000 (UTC), the inscrutable Christopher
Tidy spake:

Yes guys. You're just determined to argue that she's incompetent :-D.
She does have the glasses on and her hair tied back.

WRONG! We all pointed out safety violations, not incompetence. Nobody
said anything negative about the lovely lass.

Well, if we're going to argue about semantics surely ignorance of safety
precautions could be taken as a form of incompetence? But I will not say
any more on the subject, or it will become one of those endless and
pointless USENET discussions :-D.

The point of my post was that I doubt there would have been such a
through discussion of safety precautions had it been "our male guest"!

Chris

Too_Many_Tools

Well if she is reading the thread I would like to say that I am one man
who admires and is impressed with women who are capable of doing
anything they put their minds to.

Let her know that some of us think she will be a heck of a great catch
for some lucky guy.

TMT

DeepDiver

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

The point of my post was that I doubt there would have been such a through
discussion of safety precautions had it been "our male guest"!

Come on Chris, do you really think there would have been *less* criticism if
it were a guy? My bet is that there would have been far MORE. I suspect a
lot of people refrained from commenting on the safety violations simply
because she was a woman (and because she wasn't the one posting the photos
of herself).

But even if I'm wrong on that last point, should we be making this yet
another issue of sexism? Does political correctness dictate that we overlook
safety concerns for fear of offending someone based on their sex or race?
Would she not be just as devastated by losing an arm as any guy?

No one made any criticisms based on her sex (in fact, she was praised for
wearing her long hair in a ponytail). The only issue was her open,
long-sleeved jacket, and that could have been worn by anyone irregardless of
the sex of the machinist.

Let's not allow our metalworking discussions to devolve into polarized
arguments of diversity, sensitivity, racism, sexism, and all that other
claptrap. Especially concerning safety: that is one topic that we should
*never* be afraid to discuss. Kinetic energy knows no political correctness,
and makes no allowances for sex, race, age, wealth, political affiliation,
etc.

- Michael