DeepDiver

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

The point of my post was that I doubt there would have been such a through
discussion of safety precautions had it been "our male guest"!

Come on Chris, do you really think there would have been *less* criticism if
it were a guy? My bet is that there would have been far MORE. I suspect a
lot of people refrained from commenting on the safety violations simply
because she was a woman (and because she wasn't the one posting the photos
of herself).

But even if I'm wrong on that last point, should we be making this yet
another issue of sexism? Does political correctness dictate that we overlook
safety concerns for fear of offending someone based on their sex or race?
Would she not be just as devastated by losing an arm as any guy?

No one made any criticisms based on her sex (in fact, she was praised for
wearing her long hair in a ponytail). The only issue was her open,
long-sleeved jacket, and that could have been worn by anyone irregardless of
the sex of the machinist.

Let's not allow our metalworking discussions to devolve into polarized
arguments of diversity, sensitivity, racism, sexism, and all that other
claptrap. Especially concerning safety: that is one topic that we should
*never* be afraid to discuss. Kinetic energy knows no political correctness,
and makes no allowances for sex, race, age, wealth, political affiliation,
etc.

- Michael