Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Guest

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:04:01 -0500, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

Dropped by right after breakfast, walked right up and introduced himself
as I was ripping stock for an appliance garage. Hung around for lunch,
begged part of my ham sandwich, then left with out so much as "by your
leave". Didn't lift a hand, but watched everything closely and appeared
to be taking notes.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1045.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/IMG...90927-1046.jpg

Hehehe. That's one little guy you don't want to rile. A friend and I
cornered one at a park and watched it bite a broom handle IN HALF. Dem
funny lookin' critters is downright lethal, ah reckon.

I wonder who threw him out of his home in the daylight like that.
They're usually quite nocturnal. Nocturnal creatures who come out in
the daylight are usually either dis-homed or rabid. Caution!

---
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hehehe. That's one little guy you don't want to rile. A friend and I
cornered one at a park and watched it bite a broom handle IN HALF.

Hmmmm, sure about that?
Was the broom all rotted or something?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 31, 12:34*am, -MIKE- wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
Hehehe. *That's one little guy you don't want to rile. A friend and I
cornered one at a park and watched it bite a broom handle IN HALF.

Hmmmm, sure about that?
Was the broom all rotted or something?

Could have been my ex's broom. It had a lot of (air) miles on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 31, 12:34 am, -MIKE- wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
Hehehe. That's one little guy you don't want to rile. A friend and I
cornered one at a park and watched it bite a broom handle IN HALF.

Hmmmm, sure about that?
Was the broom all rotted or something?

Could have been my ex's broom. It had a lot of (air) miles on it.

Ba-dop, PSSSSHHH!

Is this her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYtgsLnEl38
?

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 31, 4:55*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 31, 12:34 am, -MIKE- wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
Hehehe. *That's one little guy you don't want to rile. A friend and I
cornered one at a park and watched it bite a broom handle IN HALF.
Hmmmm, sure about that?
Was the broom all rotted or something?

Could have been my ex's broom. It had a lot of (air) miles on it.

Ba-dop, PSSSSHHH!

I'll be here all week.
Try the veal.
Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:34:40 -0500, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hehehe. That's one little guy you don't want to rile. A friend and I
cornered one at a park and watched it bite a broom handle IN HALF.

Hmmmm, sure about that?
Was the broom all rotted or something?

i don't recall that it was rotted. It was a cheap broom which came
with a dustpan which had been left in the park. Those guys have really
large and nasty teeth. Do NOT rile them! They could take your finger
off in one quick chomp.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/blog/opossumteeth.jpg

---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hehehe. That's one little guy you don't want to rile. A friend and I
cornered one at a park and watched it bite a broom handle IN HALF.

Hmmmm, sure about that?
Was the broom all rotted or something?

i don't recall that it was rotted. It was a cheap broom which came
with a dustpan which had been left in the park. Those guys have really
large and nasty teeth. Do NOT rile them! They could take your finger
off in one quick chomp.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/blog/opossumteeth.jpg

Yes, their teeth are comically frightening, but as wild animals go they
actually have a relatively weak bite and certainly couldn't bite clean
through a broom handle, nor adult finger.

You also eluded to them possibly be rabid if seen during the day, which
is also very improbable. An opossum's body temperature is too low to
host most viruses, including rabies. They're not aggressive either,
hence the saying "playing opossum." That hissing they do with the big
open mouth is really all show and no go.

Raccoons, on the other hand.... :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- said:

.... They're not aggressive either,
hence the saying "playing opossum." That hissing they do with the big
open mouth is really all show and no go.

Unless they have young. then all bets are off.
DAMHIKT - experiences from childhood.

Raccoons, on the other hand.... :-)

Are quite intelligent and can be tamed, but the rabies factor...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
Greg G. wrote:
-MIKE- said:

.... They're not aggressive either,
hence the saying "playing opossum." That hissing they do with the big
open mouth is really all show and no go.

Unless they have young. then all bets are off.
DAMHIKT - experiences from childhood.

Raccoons, on the other hand.... :-)

Are quite intelligent and can be tamed, but the rabies factor...

Had a pet coon for about three years. Not something I would want to do
again. Though cute while young, they get BIG and STRONG; will climb to
the top of everything, including drapes, blinds, your head, etc; can open
anything in the house, including the refrigerator; and you don't want to
**** one off ... it's like living with a mean, nosy old woman.

How do they taste?

I don't know about nosy old women, raccoon is dark and gamey
with a very coarse texture, kinda like beaver.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg G. wrote:
-MIKE- said:

.... They're not aggressive either,
hence the saying "playing opossum." That hissing they do with the big
open mouth is really all show and no go.

Unless they have young. then all bets are off.
DAMHIKT - experiences from childhood.

Raccoons, on the other hand.... :-)

Are quite intelligent and can be tamed, but the rabies factor...

Had a pet coon for about three years. Not something I would want to do
again. Though cute while young, they get BIG and STRONG; will climb to
the top of everything, including drapes, blinds, your head, etc; can
open anything in the house, including the refrigerator; and you don't
want to **** one off ... it's like living with a mean, nosy old woman.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman said:

Greg G. wrote:
-MIKE- said:

.... They're not aggressive either,
hence the saying "playing opossum." That hissing they do with the big
open mouth is really all show and no go.

Unless they have young. then all bets are off.
DAMHIKT - experiences from childhood.

Raccoons, on the other hand.... :-)

Are quite intelligent and can be tamed, but the rabies factor...

Had a pet coon for about three years. Not something I would want to do
again. Though cute while young, they get BIG and STRONG; will climb to
the top of everything, including drapes, blinds, your head, etc; can
open anything in the house, including the refrigerator; and you don't
want to **** one off ... it's like living with a mean, nosy old woman.

I sure wouldn't keep one in the house. Leave it in the wild, but
they'll stop by and beg for (demand?) food if they "know you."
They'll also enter any opening in your house for winter shelter, no
matter how high or improbable...

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:43:19 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hehehe. That's one little guy you don't want to rile. A friend and I
cornered one at a park and watched it bite a broom handle IN HALF.

Hmmmm, sure about that?
Was the broom all rotted or something?

i don't recall that it was rotted. It was a cheap broom which came
with a dustpan which had been left in the park. Those guys have really
large and nasty teeth. Do NOT rile them! They could take your finger
off in one quick chomp.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/blog/opossumteeth.jpg

Yes, their teeth are comically frightening, but as wild animals go they
actually have a relatively weak bite and certainly couldn't bite clean
through a broom handle, nor adult finger.

As I said, it was a smaller diameter than your average broom, prolly
5/8" of the softest SPF known to man. It was also a larger possum
(larger than most house cats) and we had taunted it to no end. Believe
what you will.

You also eluded to them possibly be rabid if seen during the day, which

No, I alluded to that. Animal Control people often warn folks about
nocturnal animals if they're seen in the daylilght. I also said it
was possible that someone ousted it from its resting place. That's
called "advice", and you can take or leave it; Your choice.

is also very improbable. An opossum's body temperature is too low to
host most viruses, including rabies.

OK, I'll give you that one. Rabies is improbable in possums.

They're not aggressive either,
hence the saying "playing opossum." That hissing they do with the big
open mouth is really all show and no go.

Go kick/shove one a dozen times with your foot and then stick your
finger in their mouth. It'll show you "go", son. Foo!

Raccoons, on the other hand.... :-)

Are not to be tangled with, either.

---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg G. wrote:
Swingman said:

Had a pet coon for about three years. Not something I would want to do
again. Though cute while young, they get BIG and STRONG; will climb to
the top of everything, including drapes, blinds, your head, etc; can
open anything in the house, including the refrigerator; and you don't
want to **** one off ... it's like living with a mean, nosy old woman.

I sure wouldn't keep one in the house. Leave it in the wild, but
they'll stop by and beg for (demand?) food if they "know you."
They'll also enter any opening in your house for winter shelter, no
matter how high or improbable...

This one would take any shiny object it could find, utensils, rings,
jewelery, etc, and anything you fed it, straight to the nearest toilet
and wash it off. We fed it the same dry dog food as the dogs, and it
would do the same with dog food, perched on the toilet bowl, always
looking away while it was washing the dog food, then looking back at its
now empty paws with a puzzled look on its face.

Played well with the dog and cat. Actually a very clean pet, never
failed to use the cat litter box in the garage and didn't need to be
trained to do so, but about the beginning of its third year got too
rambunctious to let into the house, so we took it to the farm and let it
loose, where we saw it periodically for a few years, then nevermore.

My oldest daughter, who now lives in England, uses stories of "Terri,
the coon" when growing up in the wilds of Texas, to entertain both hers
and the neighbors children.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in
our hands.
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 -
1979)

Long, long ago, I was going out the driveway (wooded area) and a
tiny possum ran across in front of the pickup. It was small
enough that it probably was riding on its Momma hours earlier. It
was most likely weaned and off on its own first adventure. I
caught it and it went through all the possum antics: First, it
was so fierce that it threatened to rip my body to shreds. Then,
it was foaming at the mouth and obviously "too sick" for me to
pick up. Finally, it "died" right there and obviously I'd not
want to eat a dead possum: particularly one that had "died" of
being so "sick."

About that time, my daughter's school bus let her off in front of
the drive, so I handed her the "dead" baby possum and told her she
had a new pet. She took it to the house and gave it a bath,
combed and powdered it. That night, I asked her where her little
possum was and she said, "Daddy, I put it out in the back yard.
It was just too ugly to be a pet."

--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
in your wallet were ever in a stripper's butt crack?
Have a nice day ..

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie said:

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-...009/10/420.jpg

OMG - step up to the root of the domain for a real show:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

They are all around here and are known to kill dogs if cornered.

Beloved and I were mowing and cleaning around the shop last week and
found a yearling in a ball. It was in a pallet under a large box I used
to paint upon. Both were burnt with the brush.

They are also fast on their feet.

Martin

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hehehe. That's one little guy you don't want to rile. A friend and I
cornered one at a park and watched it bite a broom handle IN HALF.

Hmmmm, sure about that?
Was the broom all rotted or something?

i don't recall that it was rotted. It was a cheap broom which came
with a dustpan which had been left in the park. Those guys have really
large and nasty teeth. Do NOT rile them! They could take your finger
off in one quick chomp.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/blog/opossumteeth.jpg

---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Coon is a bit chewy and greasy. Most are made into stew or chili.
So I am to understand from those who have been to a deer camp
and that was what was in the pot for dinner. Lots of them
are hunted and eaten around here.

Squirrel and Possum as well.

Martin

Swingman wrote:
Greg G. wrote:
-MIKE- said:

.... They're not aggressive either,
hence the saying "playing opossum." That hissing they do with the big
open mouth is really all show and no go.
Unless they have young. then all bets are off.
DAMHIKT - experiences from childhood.

Raccoons, on the other hand.... :-)
Are quite intelligent and can be tamed, but the rabies factor...
Had a pet coon for about three years. Not something I would want to do
again. Though cute while young, they get BIG and STRONG; will climb to
the top of everything, including drapes, blinds, your head, etc; can open
anything in the house, including the refrigerator; and you don't want to
**** one off ... it's like living with a mean, nosy old woman.

How do they taste?

I don't know about nosy old women, raccoon is dark and gamey
with a very coarse texture, kinda like beaver.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
They are all around here and are known to kill dogs if cornered.

Opossum?

Where's around here? Three Mile Island?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

Coon is a bit chewy and greasy. Most are made into stew or chili.
So I am to understand from those who have been to a deer camp
and that was what was in the pot for dinner. Lots of them
are hunted and eaten around here.

When I was a kid a guy bought a couple of black and tans to hunt coon.

Was told he spent something like $5-600 for the pair.

(!950's money)

First time out, they rounded up a rabbit.

Guy shot them on the spot.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 21:33:03 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"
scrawled the following:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

Coon is a bit chewy and greasy. Most are made into stew or chili.
So I am to understand from those who have been to a deer camp
and that was what was in the pot for dinner. Lots of them
are hunted and eaten around here.

When I was a kid a guy bought a couple of black and tans to hunt coon.

Was told he spent something like $5-600 for the pair.

(!950's money)

First time out, they rounded up a rabbit.

Guy shot them on the spot.

Someone smarter might have shown up at the seller's door with rifle in
hand to return the dogs for the $2,000 he spent on 'em.

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."

Posted to rec.woodworking

East Texas - the south in general. Water and cover makes a
happy habitat.

Martin

-MIKE- wrote:
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
They are all around here and are known to kill dogs if cornered.

Opossum?

Where's around here? Three Mile Island?

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
They are all around here and are known to kill dogs if cornered.

Opossum?

Where's around here? Three Mile Island?

I know things are bigger in Texas, but I still don't believe you. :-)

It totally goes against their nature/instinct.

I've heard of many, many instances of dogs killing opossums, bet not one
the other way.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

And who knows if you have a yearling that got left behind and the
sow, the nasty one, got away.

Just don't get one cornered and have it come out and bite you in the
eyes or snout. Then it is the neck before it runs off.

Martin

-MIKE- wrote:
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
They are all around here and are known to kill dogs if cornered.

Opossum?

Where's around here? Three Mile Island?

I know things are bigger in Texas, but I still don't believe you. :-)

It totally goes against their nature/instinct.

I've heard of many, many instances of dogs killing opossums, bet not one
the other way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
They are all around here and are known to kill dogs if cornered.

Opossum?

Where's around here? Three Mile Island?

I know things are bigger in Texas, but I still don't believe you. :-)

It totally goes against their nature/instinct.

I've heard of many, many instances of dogs killing opossums, bet not one
the other way.

I've seen them put up a pretty good fight up here in Ontario -
perhaps they never learned from the Mommy how to "play possum".

Raise as much ruckus with the neighbour's dogs as a small coon.

Guest Bed Leveled UK diy 4 March 13th 09 04:03 PM
Kitchen cupboard for guest house mjbaty01 Home Repair 2 March 6th 07 08:10 PM
our female guest DeepDiver Metalworking 50 May 13th 05 01:56 AM
Electric not working in Guest house Sue Home Ownership 3 May 5th 05 06:50 PM
unwanted guest Kathy Home Repair 132 February 6th 05 03:41 PM