Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Guest Bed

I purchased a wooden guest bed set , the bottom bed slides under the top one
and legs fold out to stand it up, They are quite smart, but on its first use
the legs broke , the seller sent more legs and these have broken. The beds
are available from many different suppliers ,I am trying to find out if
other people have this problem, as the way they are made makes them bound to
break if a normal adult uses them.
Any suggestions welcome Thank You

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Leveled wrote:
I purchased a wooden guest bed set , the bottom bed slides under the top one
and legs fold out to stand it up, They are quite smart, but on its first use
the legs broke , the seller sent more legs and these have broken.

At the cheaper end of furniture "construction" we have softwoods,
cardboard, staples and PVA glue. I had a bed within a bed, much as you
describe and legs supporting the top platform, matress, and 13 stone of
exhausted & recharging human, eventually gave way and was sent tipwards
(without the human).

Is the legs for the bottom bed, the frame of which made out of metal? On
mine those thing are spring loaded and haven't failed yet.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Leveled wrote:
I purchased a wooden guest bed set , the bottom bed slides under the top
one and legs fold out to stand it up, They are quite smart, but on its
first use the legs broke , the seller sent more legs and these have
broken.

At the cheaper end of furniture "construction" we have softwoods,
cardboard, staples and PVA glue. I had a bed within a bed, much as you
describe and legs supporting the top platform, mattress, and 13 stone of
exhausted & recharging human, eventually gave way and was sent tipwards
(without the human).

Is the legs for the bottom bed, the frame of which made out of metal? On
mine those thing are spring loaded and haven't failed yet.

--
Adrian C

The whole thing is wood and the legs fold out from below trestle wise at an
angle and pressure downwards makes them break near the pivot point
http://www.bedtrader.co.uk/Verona-Ro...-pr-18845.html
similar to this but from a big very reputable store

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Leveled wrote:
I purchased a wooden guest bed set , the bottom bed slides under the
top one and legs fold out to stand it up, They are quite smart, but
on its first use the legs broke , the seller sent more legs and
these have broken. The beds are available from many different
suppliers ,I am trying to find out if other people have this problem,
as the way they are made makes them bound to break if a normal adult
uses them. Any suggestions welcome Thank You

Leveled,

How long have you had the bed?

I would suggest that there is an inherent design fault in this product
(proved by the fact that replacement legs have also broken) and as a result
I will offer no advice on how to repair it,

but I would certainly advise that you try and get your hard earned cash
back by invoking the Sale of Goods Act (SoGA) 1979 (as amended) especially
if it less than a year old (and up to six years in England and Wales and
five years in Scotland)- see link below for quick facts:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/cons...page38311.html

And if bought online, the Distance Selling Regulations (DSR) could also
apply (but as the goods are defective SoGA would be the way to go)

If you do decide to take this road, don't let the instore staff fob you off
by saying that *you* have to sort it out with the manufacture - it is
*THEIR* responsibilty and if bought online, the company will also be liable
to pick up the bill for *ALL* postage and packaging (keep a close eye on
that one as they often try to dodge that).

If all else fails, your local Trading Standards Department should be able to
help

Cash

--
Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law.

(Voltaire)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cash" wrote in message
Leveled wrote:
[...]

I have rejected it and asked for a refund