Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

"HeyBub" wrote

Here's a 16-speed (220-3600 rpm), 3/4 hp, floor drill press for $190.
You'll probably have to provide your own keyless chuck.

I just can't picture the harbor freight drill press next to the Laguna band
saw or the Festools. It just wouldn't MATCH, you know. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

Thank you Lee, I'll keep all of that in consideration.

You are welcome Leon.

Now I am dying to find out which one you buy. Don't keep us in suspense!

When and if I do I'll let Y'all know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Ahhhhh...., Leon has a background in retail!! I shoulda known that.

Yup, years of in retail management and wholesale.

What is the term I am looking for here? Ya know, one that sits on the
floor. Or should I say STANDS on a floor. Ya know, the tall one. NOT a
bench model. They usually come unassembled and you have to put them
together.

LOL. Yeah, Floor Style! not the one on the floor. LOL DOH!

An example is the Grizzly G7948 is described in the catalog as a G7948 12
Speed 20" Floor Drill Press,

If you buy from a distant location, you will get everything in boxes
anyway. You do the assembly.

I have no problem with that, living in Houston I'll probably be able to
support the locals.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
Here's a 16-speed (220-3600 rpm), 3/4 hp, floor drill press for $190.
You'll probably have to provide your own keyless chuck.

Actually I looked at that one in the store yesterday. It's quill travel is
no longer than mine, there would be no reason to buy new.

Thanks for the effort.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Leon wrote:

Rockwell uses 2 nuts separated by a flat washer to limit down travel
of the quill. For the height nuts to stay in place I have to tighten
them against each other with a pair of pliers, they tend to work
loose and do that "Craftsman router thing" if I simply hand tighten
them.

That's why pliers were invented.

Uh huh.

My experience is it is a great depth gage if you use pliers for final
setting.

Yeah, I'v been doing the for 30 years I'm tire of that. I am looking for
features that will encourage me to use the DP rather than pull out the
corded hand drill. ;!)

A 16-speed, 3/4 hp, floor drill press Is pretty basic "jelly bean"
offering.

Uses 3 sheaves and 2 belts to make speed changes.

Yeah.

Never had a problem with vibration on mine.

Good to know! Regular V Belts or the newer thin ribbed style?

Make sure you have a gear and rack to lift/lower table.

Absolutely, one of the reasons to upgrade.

Make sure quill is equipped with std morse taper (Joe AutoDrill time).

Most all I am lookng at are #2 Morris and or #3 Jacobs.

Equip with a removeable machinest vice to insure easy location of drill
bit on work piece.

Already have that.

(Drilling a hole 1/64 off sucks)

IMHO, a drill press is definitely a KISS product.

Have fun.

Thanks Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"HeyBub" wrote

Here's a 16-speed (220-3600 rpm), 3/4 hp, floor drill press for $190.
You'll probably have to provide your own keyless chuck.

I just can't picture the harbor freight drill press next to the Laguna
band saw or the Festools. It just wouldn't MATCH, you know. :-)

That Green color is all wrong, it just wouldn't do at all! Actually the
quill travel is the same as mine and the reason I want to upgrade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

I am seriously thinking about having a yard sale, Drill press, jointer,
and portable plainer, and a 556 PC Biscuit Cutter I wonder how long they
will last? LOL

I see you found the jointer and biscuit cutter to be as useful as I have.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
:

And while I have you attention, can you recommend an
affordable and good brand or type of HS drill bit for
drilling in mild steel, etc. I had a week moment at the
wood show 2 weeks ago and the Snake Oil peddler reeled me
in. I am sure you have heard od BAD DOG drill bits, I
bought'em and took'em back the next day.

Instead of spending a lot of money on drill bits, buy a decent
quality set and a Drill Doctor. I've got one I've had for about
15 years and haven't bought any drill bits since.

YMMV

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I have no problem with that, living in Houston I'll probably be able to
support the locals.

Just for grins have you checked Circle Saw's floor displays?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Actually the quill travel is the same as mine and the reason I want
to upgrade.

If you stop and think about it, the need for quill travel is a
function of the length of available bits.

Since most bits are in the 6"-8" max length, would expect quill travel
to be pretty much the same from model to model.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 16, 12:39*pm, Robatoy wrote:

A billion? *wringing my hands in wrath-like fashion...*

Let's see now. 1 per second? That would be 31 years of continuous
drilling.

I am dying laughing over here. Grinning from ear to ear.

Been sitting on that one a bit, have ya old pal?

Could I say in my defense that they work really fast?

=^0

HIYO!!

Robert - *still chuckling*
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Yeah, I'v been doing the for 30 years I'm tire of that. I am
looking for features that will encourage me to use the DP rather
than pull out the corded hand drill. ;!)

If a hand drill gets the job done, you don't NEED no dang drill press.

Good to know! Regular V Belts or the newer thin ribbed style?

Standard old "V" belts.

Don't forget, the quill is operating at relatively low RPM thus
vibration will be minimal, if any.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

Actually the quill travel is the same as mine and the reason I want
to upgrade.

If you stop and think about it, the need for quill travel is a
function of the length of available bits.

Since most bits are in the 6"-8" max length, would expect quill travel
to be pretty much the same from model to model.

Lew

Obviously you need the longer drill bits for the extra quill travel to
do you any good... They aren't that tough to find.

I've got a Ridgid DP15000 that I bought about 15 years ago. It only has
a 3-1/4" quill travel and I've run into that limit WAY too many times;
I've been wishing for an upgrade ever since. I agree with Leon; my next
drill press will most certainly have at least 5" of travel, and that's
probably my #1 requirement. I've been casually looking at potential
replacements for probably more than five years now, and after seeing the
Delta 20-950 (20-inch, 1HP, variable speed (200-2500 RPM), 5/8" chuck,
6" of quill travel) I don't see how I could settle for anything less...

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=15684

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

I have no problem with that, living in Houston I'll probably be able to
support the locals.

Just for grins have you checked Circle Saw's floor displays?

Actually I have looked at their web site and they are as cheap as any one.
I may go over there tomorrow and have a look.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
m...

"Leon" wrote in message

I am seriously thinking about having a yard sale, Drill press, jointer,
and portable plainer, and a 556 PC Biscuit Cutter I wonder how long they
will last? LOL

I see you found the jointer and biscuit cutter to be as useful as I have.

The jointer is almost my oldest tool and least used. The 556 biscuit
jointer was my first and I used it to remodel our kitchen 20 years ago. I
still have the 557 but the Domino has pretty much replaced it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Actually the quill travel is the same as mine and the reason I want to
upgrade.

If you stop and think about it, the need for quill travel is a function of
the length of available bits.

Since most bits are in the 6"-8" max length, would expect quill travel to
be pretty much the same from model to model.

Actually the quill travel on mine is 3.125" I am looking at almost 5"
possibly 6" for a replacement. Long quill travel means less table
adjustment for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

Obviously you need the longer drill bits for the extra quill travel to do
you any good... They aren't that tough to find.

I've got a Ridgid DP15000 that I bought about 15 years ago. It only has a
3-1/4" quill travel and I've run into that limit WAY too many times; I've
been wishing for an upgrade ever since. I agree with Leon; my next drill
press will most certainly have at least 5" of travel, and that's probably
my #1 requirement. I've been casually looking at potential replacements
for probably more than five years now, and after seeing the Delta 20-950
(20-inch, 1HP, variable speed (200-2500 RPM), 5/8" chuck, 6" of quill
travel) I don't see how I could settle for anything less...

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=15684

There you go, I am not the only one thinking this way. LOL

I just did notice that the 20-950 does have the 200 rpm as the slowest
speed, which is plenty slow enough for larger Forstner bits. And no
screwing around switching belts around to change speeds.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Actually the quill travel on mine is 3.125"

That's a bench top isn't it?

I am looking at almost 5" possibly 6" for a replacement.

Would expect somewhere around 5+"-6+" travel to be std for a floor
mount these days.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Actually the quill travel on mine is 3.125"

That's a bench top isn't it?

Yes

I am looking at almost 5" possibly 6" for a replacement.

Would expect somewhere around 5+"-6+" travel to be std for a floor mount
these days.

Actually no, Laguna drill presses are less than 4" and many other floor
models are also. You have to make it a point to check that specification
out on every you consider. Actually I have only seen a hand full that are
close to 5" or more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Actually no, Laguna drill presses are less than 4" and many other
floor models are also. You have to make it a point to check that
specification out on every you consider. Actually I have only seen
a hand full that are close to 5" or more.

Interesting, learn something new everyday.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 16, 10:07*pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:39*pm, Robatoy wrote:

A billion? *wringing my hands in wrath-like fashion...*

Let's see now. 1 per second? That would be 31 years of continuous
drilling.

I am dying laughing over here. *Grinning from ear to ear.

Been sitting on that one a bit, have ya old pal?

Could I say in my defense that they work really fast?

* =^0

HIYO!!

Robert - *still chuckling*

We seemed to have reached an understanding..LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 16, 7:18*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"HeyBub" *wrote

Here's a 16-speed (220-3600 rpm), 3/4 hp, floor drill press for $190.
You'll probably have to provide your own keyless chuck.

I just can't picture the harbor freight drill press next to the Laguna band
saw or the Festools. *It just wouldn't MATCH, you know. :-)

*shuddering at the thought*
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Actually the quill travel on mine is 3.125"

That's a bench top isn't it?

Yes

I am looking at almost 5" possibly 6" for a replacement.

Would expect somewhere around 5+"-6+" travel to be std for a floor mount
these days.

Actually no, Laguna drill presses are less than 4" and many other floor
models are also. *You have to make it a point to check that specification
out on every you consider. *Actually I have only seen a hand full that are
close to 5" or more.

This one would make any Festool or Laguna look in place.
http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/75500a.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

This one would make any Festool or Laguna look in place.
http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/75500a.html
====================================

Is that a misprint or mistake? According to the listed specs, it only has a
spindle travel of 3/4"! That would be almost useless. It has got to be a
mistake of some kind. Or an incredibley specialized drill press.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 17, 9:38*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Robatoy" *wrote

This one would make any Festool or Laguna look in place.http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/75500a.html
====================================

Is that a misprint or mistake? *According to the listed specs, it only has a
spindle travel of 3/4"! *That would be almost useless. *It has got to be a
mistake of some kind. Or an incredibley specialized drill press.

My page says: Chuck size 3/4, spindle travel 4 1/2".
General makes nice stuff. Even their Taiwanese stuff is held to a high
standard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Found in one of the publications I get:

Replace the stock setup with a 1/2"x20 threaded rod (the quill stop rod
on a Bridgeport mill) and get 2 Bridgeport-compatible "speed nut" quill
stops that are available from machine shop supply sources like MCS and
ENCO. The speed nut's quick release button allows it to slide free of
the threads for instant repositioning. With 50 marks evenly spaced
around the nuts circumference, and 20 teeth per inch on the rod, it is
precisely adjustable to .001".

Hope this is of use.

Jim

Leon wrote:

2. An easier and quicker to adjust quill dept adjustment, perhaps the push
button and spin variety vs. the two nut design. I hate spinning 2 nuts up
to 3" and that would be even worse with my next #3 item below.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Apr 16, 11:52 pm, "Leon" wrote:

This one would make any Festool or Laguna look in place.
http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/75500a.html

I have thinking, who have I left out for consideration? DOH! I'll check
that out.

I am kinda surprised that the Laguna DP models are pretty much middle of
the road although they do have reasonable pricing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 17, 11:22*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Apr 16, 11:52 pm, "Leon" wrote:

This one would make any Festool or Laguna look in place.http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/75500a.html

I have thinking, who have I left out for consideration? *DOH! *I'll check
that out.

I am kinda surprised that the Laguna DP models are *pretty much middle of
the road although they do have reasonable pricing.

General has a few drill presses:

http://www.general.ca/pagetitre/ang/drill.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Apr 17, 11:22 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Apr 16, 11:52 pm, "Leon" wrote:

This one would make any Festool or Laguna look in
place.http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/75500a.html

I have thinking, who have I left out for consideration? DOH! I'll check
that out.

I am kinda surprised that the Laguna DP models are pretty much middle of
the road although they do have reasonable pricing.

General has a few drill presses:

http://www.general.ca/pagetitre/ang/drill.html

I looked at all of them on the site, unfortunately no one near me to do
touchy feely review. The 20 " model is nice also and I noticed a NEW
Electronic Variable Speed 17" model.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim in Milwaukee" wrote in message
m...
Found in one of the publications I get:

Replace the stock setup with a 1/2"x20 threaded rod (the quill stop rod on
a Bridgeport mill) and get 2 Bridgeport-compatible "speed nut" quill stops
that are available from machine shop supply sources like MCS and ENCO.
The speed nut's quick release button allows it to slide free of the
threads for instant repositioning. With 50 marks evenly spaced around the
nuts circumference, and 20 teeth per inch on the rod, it is precisely
adjustable to .001".

Hope this is of use.

Jim

Thanks Jim, good to know if I decide to wait to get a new DP. That would
certainly be a "next to do" improvement.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

So far and similar to your first suggestion I am looking closely at the
Delta 17-959L, $579 locally.

Mine is a Delta 17-965 and it has a quill stroke of 4-7/8 inches, FWIW.
You're welcome to take a closer look at it for comparison to the "L".

BTW, I'm back in town if you want to go to Circle Saw, as I need some
wood screws. Call me.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 15:02:19 -0500, Leon wrote:

But if you have a soft spot for radial, Delta makes one. Rikon makes
two :-).

Yeah, it is a nice feature if you need it but I really have not had the
need in 30 years. I got mide as a reward through the GM Maritz program,
meeting sales quotas. I think I would like to use the table tilt
feature over the head tilt feature.

The table tilt seems easier to set up, although that's just a guess as
I've never owned a radial. But the tilting head is nice when you're
trying to drill into a big heavy timber. And the sliding arm gives you
more capacity than most ordinary presses. But of course the downside is
flex in that arm.

I've got just an ordinary benchtop, but it was built before benchtops
started getting flimsy. The column is the same as the floor model was,
the manufacturer (Taiwan?) just cut one in half :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Today, Cleveland Twist Drill is part of the Kennametal IPG (Industrial
Products Group) family of quality cutting tools and I don't have a clue.

Kennemetal makes the double angle collet chucks we use on the high volume
machines we sell. Decent product. Mediocre stock levels for the version we
use as we might be the only ues using it. Price is a bit high, but when you
buy a machine like mine, the price of the chuck is almost insignificant
anyhow... Not that I'm high priced, but a $3-5000 set-up outshines a $200
chuck on the invoice.

If the bits ar the same quality as the chucks, they're decent or better.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mine is a Delta 17-965 and it has a quill stroke of 4-7/8 inches, FWIW.
You're welcome to take a closer look at it for comparison to the "L".

LOTS of 17-965's out there too. Not a "rare" model whatever that's worth.