Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

Obviously you need the longer drill bits for the extra quill travel to do
you any good... They aren't that tough to find.

I've got a Ridgid DP15000 that I bought about 15 years ago. It only has a
3-1/4" quill travel and I've run into that limit WAY too many times; I've
been wishing for an upgrade ever since. I agree with Leon; my next drill
press will most certainly have at least 5" of travel, and that's probably
my #1 requirement. I've been casually looking at potential replacements
for probably more than five years now, and after seeing the Delta 20-950
(20-inch, 1HP, variable speed (200-2500 RPM), 5/8" chuck, 6" of quill
travel) I don't see how I could settle for anything less...

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=15684

There you go, I am not the only one thinking this way. LOL

I just did notice that the 20-950 does have the 200 rpm as the slowest
speed, which is plenty slow enough for larger Forstner bits. And no
screwing around switching belts around to change speeds.