Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

Actually the quill travel is the same as mine and the reason I want
to upgrade.

If you stop and think about it, the need for quill travel is a
function of the length of available bits.

Since most bits are in the 6"-8" max length, would expect quill travel
to be pretty much the same from model to model.

Lew

Obviously you need the longer drill bits for the extra quill travel to
do you any good... They aren't that tough to find.

I've got a Ridgid DP15000 that I bought about 15 years ago. It only has
a 3-1/4" quill travel and I've run into that limit WAY too many times;
I've been wishing for an upgrade ever since. I agree with Leon; my next
drill press will most certainly have at least 5" of travel, and that's
probably my #1 requirement. I've been casually looking at potential
replacements for probably more than five years now, and after seeing the
Delta 20-950 (20-inch, 1HP, variable speed (200-2500 RPM), 5/8" chuck,
6" of quill travel) I don't see how I could settle for anything less...

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=15684

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.