Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Leon wrote:

Rockwell uses 2 nuts separated by a flat washer to limit down travel
of the quill. For the height nuts to stay in place I have to tighten
them against each other with a pair of pliers, they tend to work
loose and do that "Craftsman router thing" if I simply hand tighten
them.

That's why pliers were invented.

Uh huh.

My experience is it is a great depth gage if you use pliers for final
setting.

Yeah, I'v been doing the for 30 years I'm tire of that. I am looking for
features that will encourage me to use the DP rather than pull out the
corded hand drill. ;!)

A 16-speed, 3/4 hp, floor drill press Is pretty basic "jelly bean"
offering.

Uses 3 sheaves and 2 belts to make speed changes.

Yeah.

Never had a problem with vibration on mine.

Good to know! Regular V Belts or the newer thin ribbed style?

Make sure you have a gear and rack to lift/lower table.

Absolutely, one of the reasons to upgrade.

Make sure quill is equipped with std morse taper (Joe AutoDrill time).

Most all I am lookng at are #2 Morris and or #3 Jacobs.

Equip with a removeable machinest vice to insure easy location of drill
bit on work piece.

Already have that.

(Drilling a hole 1/64 off sucks)

IMHO, a drill press is definitely a KISS product.

Have fun.

Thanks Lew