Makinwoodchips

Default Mini gloat ? Sorta long.

The family was getting together at my grandmother's house this weekend.
While driving through the small town she lives in, Dad spotted a two ton
truck sitting in front of one of the stores downtown with T & G pine floor
boards tossed in back. Old growth, tight growth rings and almost no knots.
He stopped to ask the guy who was tossing the boards into the truck what he
was doing with the wood. Tossing it into a pile out in the country and
burning it. I almost cried. Dad asked the guy what he'd take for the whole
lot. $40 and two pickup loads later, the wood was stacked up at Dad's
house.

firstjois

Makinwoodchips wrote:
The family was getting together at my grandmother's house this
weekend. While driving through the small town she lives in, Dad
spotted a two ton truck sitting in front of one of the stores
downtown with T & G pine floor boards tossed in back. Old growth,
tight growth rings and almost no knots. He stopped to ask the guy
who was tossing the boards into the truck what he was doing with the
wood. Tossing it into a pile out in the country and burning it. I
almost cried. Dad asked the guy what he'd take for the whole lot.
$40 and two pickup loads later, the wood was stacked up at Dad's
house.

Good catch. Amazing how people throw away the most desirable stuff.
Friend of mine hunts down old tobacco shacks and uses the drying sticks in
his craft business. Owner permitting he'll take the wood off the sides of
the shacks, too. Owners seem to think he is kidding, they wouldn't even be
bothered taking them down, never mind burning them.

Josie

Makinwoodchips

We've got three tobacco barns on my grandmothers farm and a stick shed (
full of tobacco sticks ). One of the barns is made of heart pine, the other
two are poplar and gum. Dad and I are planning on taking the tin off the
pine one then taking it apart. Maybe give the poplar one a shot too. The
other one will probably be fire wood. From what I've seen with some boards,
60+ yr old gum boards, aren't real easy to work

"firstjois" wrote in message
Makinwoodchips wrote:
[...]

Best Wood Prices on Long Island! Kevin Morgan Woodworking 2 July 27th 04 05:42 PM
Mini Max and an AMAZING story of customer service Tbone Dano Woodworking 11 May 22nd 04 08:03 PM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
Long post about boilers and stuff - with too many questions....! Simon Hawthorne UK diy 11 January 4th 04 10:06 AM