Posted to rec.woodworking
Festus

Default Removing drill press chuck (long post)

Hi, My name is Lynn, I used to lurk here frequently, but havn't had much
time to do that in the last few years.

I am a tool nut and love to pick up bargain tools at auctions, yard sales
etc. My finds in the last few years include a Kurt Star twin spindle
carving machine ( now owned by Terrco ) which I got at an auction for $115,
an 18" Hegner variable speed scroll saw for $99 at a tag sale, an Onsrud
Inverted Pin Router with a 3 1/4 hp Porter Cable router for $60 at a school
auction, a tool box full of scroll saw letter templates, about 21 sets
(mostly Seyco), 2 scroll saw videos and 5 pattern books for $34.50 at an
auction and a 2 1/4 gallon size ultransonic cleaner by Branson for $20 at a
tag sale. ( I always tell my wife there is a fine line between hobby and
mental illness.)

Anyway my latest toy is a Rockwell Model 15-081 drill press I picked up at a
surplus sale for $82.50. It's got a 4 1/2" quill travel, which I prefer
over the shorter 3 1/4 - 3 1/2" that is common on many of the newer drill
presses, unless you want to go up to about the $400 range. It is in pretty
good shape, but it needs to have the chuck replaced. I got the parts
diagram for it but there is not enough detail to figure out how it is
attached. The chuck appears to be threaded internally, which I believe I
could just unscrew it if that is the case. There is no allen bolt inside
the chuck like on some portable drills. I am wondering if it could be a
Jacobs taper, and if so how do I get it off?

If any of you have one of these models or had any experience in tool repair
that could shed any light on this for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

I gotta go check the garage sale and auction ads in the paper......

Thanks,
Lynn

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guy

"Festus" wrote in message
[...]

On mine, lowering the quill, exposes a slot which allows me to insert a
steel wedge. A gentle tap on the wedge with a hammer releases the chuck, so
be prepared to catch it with a free hand.

If any of you have one of these models or had any experience in tool
repair
that could shed any light on this for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

I gotta go check the garage sale and auction ads in the paper......

Thanks,
Lynn

Posted to rec.woodworking
Don Dando

The local automotive parts house will hve a ball joint fork. Insert this
between the chuck and the collet just above it and tap gently. The chuck
should pop right off. Some stores have loaner tools.

Don Dando