Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 15:02:19 -0500, Leon wrote:

But if you have a soft spot for radial, Delta makes one. Rikon makes
two :-).

Yeah, it is a nice feature if you need it but I really have not had the
need in 30 years. I got mide as a reward through the GM Maritz program,
meeting sales quotas. I think I would like to use the table tilt
feature over the head tilt feature.

The table tilt seems easier to set up, although that's just a guess as
I've never owned a radial. But the tilting head is nice when you're
trying to drill into a big heavy timber. And the sliding arm gives you
more capacity than most ordinary presses. But of course the downside is
flex in that arm.

I've got just an ordinary benchtop, but it was built before benchtops
started getting flimsy. The column is the same as the floor model was,
the manufacturer (Taiwan?) just cut one in half :-).