Ken Moon

Default Vacation's over/sorta long

Hi all,
Got back Saturday from a 2 week, 2000+ miles road trip. Went up through
Arkansas via I-30; had ribs at the Blues City Cafe in Memphis, and SWMBO
shopped Beale street. On to Nashville for the Country Music Hall of Fame,
the Parthenon, and the Grand Ole Opry. On up thru Knoxville to Bristol and
then to the main course- the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Asheville, NC. On
the Parkway were 2 stores operated by/for the Southern Highlands Craft
Guild. They had all manner of crafts there (fabric, pottery, flat woodwork,
woven basketry and some very nice wood turning pieces). The Guild was a
product of several craft schools like Arrowmont, Penland, Berea College and
others. They sell Guild members pieces and support the schools. I was
wondering if any of the regulars on this NG are members of this guild?

After Asheville, we went over to Pidgeon Forge and Gatlinburg. What a change
from when I was last there 40+ years ago! Another Branson, Mo., in the
Tennessee hills! We spent some time at Arrowmont and Arrowcraft. Arrowcraft
store is also a member of the craft guild, so they had a good selection of
turned pieces. Next door is Arrowmont school. They were between classes the
week we were there, but the gallery was open. The number of pieces there was
not like at an AAW instant gallery, but the quality was outstanding! John
Jordan, David Ellsworth, Rude Osolnik, and so many other well known turners
had great examples of their work there. The new fall schedule has been
published with 4 turning classes that I'll address in a separate post. After
that stop, all that was left to see was the Great Smoky Mountain National
Park, Desoto Falls State Park, Little River Canyon (deepest canyon in
eastern US) State Park in Alabama, then on back to Texas via I-59 across
Miss., then I-10 back to Texas.

I was relieved to log on here when I gat back and fouond out that Arch had
been located, and NOT been blown away by a hurricane!
Vacations are always a blast, but it's also good to be back home. Now next
year .............

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Tom Nie

Ken,
Great trip. My wife and I rode our Harleys the entire 459 miles of the
Parkway last year. It's a favorite place as the Smokies and Gatlinburg are
as well. Hope you got to see Cades Cove.

The Guild is open to residents of a limited number of Appalachian counties.
I'm sure some of the members of the carloinamountainwoodturners.org have
been accepted through the juried process. Your other post shows a member,
Joe Ruminski, instructing a class at Arrowmont this fall. If you ever get a
chance to attend one of their meetings in the auditorium at the Folk Art
Center (one of the "stores" you mentioned) near Asheville don't miss the
opportunity. Each meeting has a demonstrator and the folks are great to
visit with.

Tom Nie
newbie member of the CMW

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

mac davis

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:43:56 GMT, "Ken Moon" wrote:

[...]

Ok, Ken.. quiz time...

What did you do first, post this or visit your shop????

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Ken Moon

wrote:

[...]

===========================
I have to admit I posted this first since I needed some stationary time to
stop "riding". Woke up that 1st nite home wondering what hotel I was in!

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Arch

Hi Ken, Glad you are safely home after a wonderful vacation trip.
Before air conditioning, Western North Carolina used to be 'Summer
Florida'. Asheville's baseball team's name was "Tourists".
Much, much more than that now...a great state to live in or visit.

RCW's staid old family men won't admit it now, but I bet some of us in
our salad days, green in judgement (and hangover) awakened in a hotel
room wondering why and where.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

mac davis

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 05:32:49 GMT, "Ken Moon" wrote:

Ok, Ken.. quiz time...

What did you do first, post this or visit your shop????

===========================
I have to admit I posted this first since I needed some stationary time to
stop "riding". Woke up that 1st nite home wondering what hotel I was in!

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

damn, I would have expected a hard core turner like you to at least go by the
lathe and give it a pat or something before sitting at the computer.. lol

I go through serious shop withdrawal when we're traveling... have to visit the
shop and talk to the wood for a few minutes to really know that I'm home..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Ken Moon

"Arch" wrote in message
Hi Ken, Glad you are safely home after a wonderful vacation trip.
Before air conditioning, Western North Carolina used to be 'Summer
Florida'. Asheville's baseball team's name was "Tourists".
Much, much more than that now...a great state to live in or visit.

=======================
I lived in NC a couple of times, but that was during my USMC days and Camp
Lejeune was not an ideal vacation spot.
I grew up in the southern end of the Appalachians, and we were always cooler
during the summer than those down at "ground " level. One summer, we went to
the Smokies in August, then down to Myrtle Beach, SC., about a 40 degree
temp difference.

RCW's staid old family men won't admit it now, but I bet some of us in
our salad days, green in judgement (and hangover) awakened in a hotel
room wondering why and where.

While I was still doing X-ray field service engineering work, that was not
an unusual situation.

Ken