Tom Nie

Ken,
Great trip. My wife and I rode our Harleys the entire 459 miles of the
Parkway last year. It's a favorite place as the Smokies and Gatlinburg are
as well. Hope you got to see Cades Cove.

The Guild is open to residents of a limited number of Appalachian counties.
I'm sure some of the members of the carloinamountainwoodturners.org have
been accepted through the juried process. Your other post shows a member,
Joe Ruminski, instructing a class at Arrowmont this fall. If you ever get a
chance to attend one of their meetings in the auditorium at the Folk Art
Center (one of the "stores" you mentioned) near Asheville don't miss the
opportunity. Each meeting has a demonstrator and the folks are great to
visit with.

Tom Nie
newbie member of the CMW

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
.net...
Hi all,
Got back Saturday from a 2 week, 2000+ miles road trip. Went up through
Arkansas via I-30; had ribs at the Blues City Cafe in Memphis, and SWMBO
shopped Beale street. On to Nashville for the Country Music Hall of Fame,
the Parthenon, and the Grand Ole Opry. On up thru Knoxville to Bristol and
then to the main course- the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Asheville, NC. On
the Parkway were 2 stores operated by/for the Southern Highlands Craft
Guild. They had all manner of crafts there (fabric, pottery, flat
woodwork, woven basketry and some very nice wood turning pieces). The
Guild was a product of several craft schools like Arrowmont, Penland,
Berea College and others. They sell Guild members pieces and support the
schools. I was wondering if any of the regulars on this NG are members of
this guild?

After Asheville, we went over to Pidgeon Forge and Gatlinburg. What a
change from when I was last there 40+ years ago! Another Branson, Mo., in
the Tennessee hills! We spent some time at Arrowmont and Arrowcraft.
Arrowcraft store is also a member of the craft guild, so they had a good
selection of turned pieces. Next door is Arrowmont school. They were
between classes the week we were there, but the gallery was open. The
number of pieces there was not like at an AAW instant gallery, but the
quality was outstanding! John Jordan, David Ellsworth, Rude Osolnik, and
so many other well known turners had great examples of their work there.
The new fall schedule has been published with 4 turning classes that I'll
address in a separate post. After that stop, all that was left to see was
the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, Desoto Falls State Park, Little
River Canyon (deepest canyon in eastern US) State Park in Alabama, then on
back to Texas via I-59 across Miss., then I-10 back to Texas.

I was relieved to log on here when I gat back and fouond out that Arch had
been located, and NOT been blown away by a hurricane!
Vacations are always a blast, but it's also good to be back home. Now
next year .............

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.