Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Ridgid Tablesaw

Has anyone checked out the new *contractor's* tablesaw from Ridgid?
I saw it today when I was at HD.

It looks like it's supposed to replace the old cast iron TS3650. Did I
mention
it's GRANITE topped! (I'm a newbie, so I found that a tad impressive...)
It's also got a new fence system & redesigned Herc-U-Lift.

Didn't have time to give it more than a passing look/see but one thing
I did notice was the top was already chipped.

Hmmmm....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13-Mar-2009, "CW" wrote:

Has anyone checked out the new *contractor's* tablesaw from Ridgid?
I saw it today when I was at HD.

It looks like it's supposed to replace the old cast iron TS3650. Did I
mention
it's GRANITE topped! (I'm a newbie, so I found that a tad impressive...)
It's also got a new fence system & redesigned Herc-U-Lift.

Didn't have time to give it more than a passing look/see but one thing
I did notice was the top was already chipped.

Hmmmm....

Update:
The TS3660 apparently has not been phased out. Good thing too (or so it
seems)
since the warranty on this new one is only 3yrs....

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4511-Ta...w/EN/index.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 13, 5:00*pm, "CW" wrote:
Has anyone checked out the new *contractor's* tablesaw from Ridgid?
I saw it today when I was at HD.

It looks like it's supposed to replace the old cast iron TS3650. * Did I
mention
it's GRANITE topped! *(I'm a newbie, so I found that a tad impressive....)
It's also got a new fence system & redesigned Herc-U-Lift.

Didn't have time to give it more than a passing look/see but one thing
I did notice was the top was already chipped.

Hmmmm....

Some upscale table saws now feature granite, Steel City, maybe?.
Personally, I would rather deal with a bit of rust on my cast iron
than a chip in granite. Maybe an epoxy repair kit should be included
with stone tops. Note that machine shops using granite surface plates
tend to baby them with covers, etc. For sure, granite is a better
choice than aluminum for a table saw and much better than marble for a
tombstone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
On Mar 13, 5:00 pm, "CW" wrote:
[...]

Well there ya go.

Buy a granite topped saw, and when you die, recycle it into a tombstone!
Build a coffin to go with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message

On 13-Mar-2009, "CW" wrote:

Has anyone checked out the new *contractor's* tablesaw from Ridgid?
I saw it today when I was at HD.

It looks like it's supposed to replace the old cast iron TS3650. Did I
mention
it's GRANITE topped! (I'm a newbie, so I found that a tad impressive...)
It's also got a new fence system & redesigned Herc-U-Lift.

Didn't have time to give it more than a passing look/see but one thing
I did notice was the top was already chipped.

Hmmmm....

Update:
The TS3660 apparently has not been phased out. Good thing too (or so it
seems)
since the warranty on this new one is only 3yrs....

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4511-Ta...w/EN/index.htm

Did you read that warranty? The warranty is 3 years on all tools unless you
register them, then you get the life time warranty.

In addition to the 3-Year Limited Service Warranty currently included with
RIDGID® Brand Hand Held Power Tools Stationary Power Tools, and Pneumatic
Tools, purchasers of these products may elect for a limited time to receive
a free Lifetime Service Agreement. To accept this Lifetime Service
Agreement, you must register your product and submit proof of purchase as
described below. The Lifetime Service Agreement provides the original owner
of qualifying RIDGID® Brand tools a lifetime of free replacement batteries,
free service and free replacement parts subject to the limitations set forth
below.

The Lifetime Service Agreement is available free of charge, for a limited
time on all RIDGID® Brand hand held power tools, stationary power tools and
pneumatic tools, subject to the terms and conditions stated below. Customers
have 90 days from date of purchase to register tools for the Lifetime
Service Agreement.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"CW" wrote in message

[...]

There's also the part:
"HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE

To obtain service for this RIDGID tool you must return it, freight
prepaid, to an authorized RIDGID service center for hand held and
stationary power tools. "

The closest service center to me is "Jack's Lawn Mower Service". I
don't know if I'd like a lawn mower mechanic trying to fix my table saw.

Shipping a 452 lb saw with a fragile top could be quite expensive.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
Has anyone checked out the new *contractor's* tablesaw from Ridgid? I saw
it today when I was at HD.

It looks like it's supposed to replace the old cast iron TS3650. Did I
mention it's GRANITE topped! (I'm a newbie, so I found that a tad
impressive...)
It's also got a new fence system & redesigned Herc-U-Lift. Didn't have
time to give it more than a passing look/see but one thing I did notice
was the top was already chipped.

Hmmmm....

What do you folks think; did they try to cut costs with the switch away from
C.I. or is it just too sexy for their saw (sorry 'bout that one.)? I don't
know what granite goes for so I could be waaay off. I noticed that the
table is a few inches shorter too. Is that in reference to the limit of
strength of granite? I'm glad that I have my 3650, bum arbor included!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:130320092157114265%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , CW
wrote:

it's GRANITE topped!

WTF?

That makes NO sense whatsoever. Might as well use glass and get the
destruction over with in a hurry.

Dave, doncha know, granite is taking over. First there was kitchen
countertops. Next table saw tops. Soon all office desks will be granite
topped. It is a conspiracy of the granite cabal.

But not to worry. Robatoy can upgrade you to a new bigger, thicker piece of
granite for your tablesaw. Or even some of that fake countertop material he
sells.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
news
There's also the part:
"HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE

To obtain service for this RIDGID tool you must return it, freight
prepaid, to an authorized RIDGID service center for hand held and
stationary power tools. "

The closest service center to me is "Jack's Lawn Mower Service". I don't
know if I'd like a lawn mower mechanic trying to fix my table saw.

Shipping a 452 lb saw with a fragile top could be quite expensive.

Why in Jed's name would you ship a table saw for service? ??? The complex
wiring is neatly encased in a fan cooled metal enclosure. The arbor and
trunnion... I guess I would just ship that if they turned out to be bad.

Oh, and think what the "lawn mower mechanic" might think of having to work
on your tablesaw. Rocket science probably wasn't covered in his tech school
education.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

: But not to worry. Robatoy can upgrade you to a new bigger, thicker
piece of
: granite for your tablesaw. Or even some of that fake countertop
material he
: sells.

My SYB has a niece whose husband sell that fake countertop stuff for
Le Grande Orange and I've been trying to get him to fork up a piece big
enough to make a router table out of.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

MikeWhy wrote:
"Nova" wrote in message
news
There's also the part:
"HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE

To obtain service for this RIDGID tool you must return it, freight
prepaid, to an authorized RIDGID service center for hand held and
stationary power tools. "

The closest service center to me is "Jack's Lawn Mower Service". I
don't know if I'd like a lawn mower mechanic trying to fix my table saw.

Shipping a 452 lb saw with a fragile top could be quite expensive.

Why in Jed's name would you ship a table saw for service?

snip

Because the lifetime service agreement reads "you must return it"?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
news
Leon wrote:

There's also the part:
"HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE

To obtain service for this RIDGID tool you must return it, freight
prepaid, to an authorized RIDGID service center for hand held and
stationary power tools. "

The closest service center to me is "Jack's Lawn Mower Service". I don't
know if I'd like a lawn mower mechanic trying to fix my table saw.

Shipping a 452 lb saw with a fragile top could be quite expensive.

Well yeah, if you want it fixed, you gotta get it back to them. I don't
know if too many brands where they come to you to pick up the tool to repair
it. I was the repair guy with Jet even though the repair center was only 6
miles away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
news
"Nova" wrote in message
[...]

Actually Jack's Lawn Mower Service is a bigger out fit than it sounds. They
service a lot of equipment. Living in Houston, Jack's was the only place
that I could talk to and get the correct parts to repair a Speed Air
compressor that was 8 years old. I did the repairs after getting the parts
from them. Granger could not provide the parts I needed and Speed Air is
their brand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

it's GRANITE topped!

WTF?

That makes NO sense whatsoever. Might as well use glass and get the
destruction over with in a hurry.

Oddly I know of 3 brands offering granite tops. Steel City was the first
IIRC. Add Ridged and Craftsman.

I can see the advantages, no rust, "flat" top that stays that way, and mass
for a smother running machine.
Disadvantages, chipping or breaking, virtually no modifications to the
granite, you may never be able to change fences, no magnets will stick to it
so many new feather boards and jigs are out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"NuWave Dave" wrote in message

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

: But not to worry. Robatoy can upgrade you to a new bigger, thicker
piece of
: granite for your tablesaw. Or even some of that fake countertop
material he
: sells.

My SYB has a niece whose husband sell that fake countertop stuff for
Le Grande Orange and I've been trying to get him to fork up a piece big
enough to make a router table out of.

Dave in Houston

You might want to talk to an installer and get a sink cut out. My neighbor
had his counter tops changed out after I redid his cabinets. He use the
locally available, SyleStone, located on the south belt. They don't install
but can recommend an installer. I bet you could call them and see if an
installer could get you a cut out. My neighbor ended up with a decent sized
chunk IIRC.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

NuWave Dave wrote:
My SYB has a niece whose husband sell that fake countertop stuff for
Le Grande Orange and I've been trying to get him to fork up a piece big
enough to make a router table out of.

Sink cutouts should be pretty easy to come by altho most around here
shape them and leave them as cutting boards as a "feature service" kind
of goodwill thingie.

The bulk of those are only 1/2" material thickness and not all that
rigid though so not quite as good a material as it seems on first blush
has been my experience. For smaller pieces it's fine; not quite strong
enough in bigger or for larger routers, at least w/o supporting structure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

There's also the part:
"HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE

To obtain service for this RIDGID tool you must return it, freight
prepaid, to an authorized RIDGID service center for hand held and
stationary power tools. "

The closest service center to me is "Jack's Lawn Mower Service". I
don't know if I'd like a lawn mower mechanic trying to fix my table saw.

Shipping a 452 lb saw with a fragile top could be quite expensive.

Why in Jed's name would you ship a table saw for service?

snip

Because the lifetime service agreement reads "you must return it"?

Just throw it away and buy a new one, then.
How dare they give you a lifetime warranty.

And those stupid lawn mower mechanics, yeah you can't trust those guys.
I mean, a table is complicated.

What's a lawn mower anyway, but an engine moving a blade in a circle
real fast? That's nothing like a table saw.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

I can see the advantages, no rust, "flat" top that stays that way, and mass
for a smother running machine.
Disadvantages, chipping or breaking, virtually no modifications to the
granite, you may never be able to change fences, no magnets will stick to it
so many new feather boards and jigs are out.

Seems like a lot of benefits to give just to keep from having to clean
and wax it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
I can see the advantages, no rust, "flat" top that stays that way, and
mass for a smother running machine.
Disadvantages, chipping or breaking, virtually no modifications to the
granite, you may never be able to change fences, no magnets will stick to
it so many new feather boards and jigs are out.

Seems like a lot of benefits to give just to keep from having to clean and
wax it.

A flat top and less vibration go a long way in improving accuracy. I'd say
granite would be the superior surface if you are willing to take the
precautions, find other ways of using jigs and buy with a good fence to
start with.

For me no. I don't baby my tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

A flat top and less vibration go a long way in improving accuracy. I'd
say granite would be the superior surface if you are willing to take the
precautions, find other ways of using jigs and buy with a good fence to
start with.

If a lot of granite topped saws end up out in the market, there will be a
great need to secure jigs to the saw. Seems like an opportunity for
somebody. Perhaps a giant suction device similar to what the glass people
use to move those big panes of glass. In a pinch, you could use the Red
Green approach, good ole duct tape!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote

In a pinch, you could use the Red Green approach, good ole duct tape!

Yep, I'm already using it to hold the blade on ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"MikeWhy" wrote in message
news
"Nova" wrote in message
[...]

"Jack's Lawn Mower Service" in the Buffalo area is just a small shop
selling and servicing "outdoor power equipment" (quoted from their web
page).

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Seems like a lot of benefits to give just to keep from having to clean and
wax it.

A flat top and less vibration go a long way in improving accuracy. I'd say
granite would be the superior surface if you are willing to take the
precautions, find other ways of using jigs and buy with a good fence to
start with.

For me no. I don't baby my tools.

Is vibration really an issue with a heavy cast iron top?
I'm asking.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

snipped

Because the lifetime service agreement reads "you must return it"?

Just throw it away and buy a new one, then.
How dare they give you a lifetime warranty.

My point exactly. Who's going to haul a 452 lb. table saw in for service.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

snipped

Because the lifetime service agreement reads "you must return it"?

Just throw it away and buy a new one, then.
How dare they give you a lifetime warranty.

My point exactly. Who's going to haul a 452 lb. table saw in for service.

Is it common for other manufacturers to come to your house and fix it?
You're left with the option of buying another saw and.... hauling it to
your house.
Then getting rid of your old saw which means... hauling it away.

Seriously though, if the only issue is weight, I'm thinking they would
let you disconnect the top and leave it at home.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

-MIKE- wrote:
Leon wrote:
Seems like a lot of benefits to give just to keep from having to
clean and wax it.

A flat top and less vibration go a long way in improving accuracy.
I'd say granite would be the superior surface if you are willing to
take the precautions, find other ways of using jigs and buy with a
good fence to start with.

For me no. I don't baby my tools.

Is vibration really an issue with a heavy cast iron top?
I'm asking.

Not unless there's something causing it which is pretty much independent
of the top.

I can't see granite being a real plus given the issues and the pita
problem it would be if did chip/crack. Seems like a marketing gimmick
to me; I've no clue about whether it's a cost-cutting effort for the
manufacturer or not. Doesn't seem like it must be much cost penalty
anyway given the vendors who are using it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13-Mar-2009, "Leon" wrote:

"CW" wrote in message

Update:
The TS3660 apparently has not been phased out. Good thing too (or so it
seems)
since the warranty on this new one is only 3yrs....

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4511-Ta...w/EN/index.htm

Did you read that warranty? The warranty is 3 years on all tools unless
you register them, then you get the life time warranty.

No I hadn't. I was strapped for time yesterday. But I've read it over now.

In the part you didn't post, there's the usual disclaimer info that pertains
to what is and is not covered. In essence it's the standard "Ridgid is not
responsible for problems not of our making" (see below) -- which, it seems
to me, leaves it entirely up to discretion of the person doing the repairs
make that determination.

Begging the question: Has anyone here had cause to repair a Ridgid
product, and if so, how pleased were you with your experience. Maybe a
topic for another thread???

"...warranty only covers defects arising under normal usage and does not
cover any malfunction, failure or defect resulting from misuse, abuse,
neglect,
alteration, modification or repair by other than an authorized service
center
for RIDGID branded hand held and stationary power tools".

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Nova wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:

snipped

Because the lifetime service agreement reads "you must return it"?

Just throw it away and buy a new one, then.
How dare they give you a lifetime warranty.

My point exactly. Who's going to haul a 452 lb. table saw in for
service.

Is it common for other manufacturers to come to your house and fix it?
You're left with the option of buying another saw and.... hauling it to
your house.
Then getting rid of your old saw which means... hauling it away.

Seriously though, if the only issue is weight, I'm thinking they would
let you disconnect the top and leave it at home.

If my saw breaks I'll fix it myself.

Ridigid's "Lifetime Warranty" for large stationary tools, due to the
fact they have to be returned, bothers me when sited as a valid reason
for purchasing their tools as it's virtually useless.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

If my saw breaks I'll fix it myself.

I'm with you on that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message

Seriously though, if the only issue is weight, I'm thinking they would
let you disconnect the top and leave it at home.

If my saw breaks I'll fix it myself.

Ridigid's "Lifetime Warranty" for large stationary tools, due to the fact
they have to be returned, bothers me when sited as a valid reason for
purchasing their tools as it's virtually useless.

I'd venture to say that you bringing it in means that they are not coming
out to do the repair. Jet sent me a start capacitor and eventually a new
motor for my cabinet saw when it was still under warranty. I did all the
leg work. Fine with me except the part with me lifting that honking motor
into place under the table.
I only had to return the big parts, I would imagine that Ridgid would work
with you accordingly.
Oddly the problem with the motor was normal, most all cabinet saws start off
with a hard thump, that is what we were trying to fix.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
news

Actually Jack's Lawn Mower Service is a bigger out fit than it sounds.
They service a lot of equipment. Living in Houston, Jack's was the only
place that I could talk to and get the correct parts to repair a Speed
Air compressor that was 8 years old. I did the repairs after getting the
parts from them. Granger could not provide the parts I needed and Speed
Air is their brand.

"Jack's Lawn Mower Service" in the Buffalo area is just a small shop
selling and servicing "outdoor power equipment" (quoted from their web
page).

Either they are not the same Jack's or they need to update their web page.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message

No I hadn't. I was strapped for time yesterday. But I've read it over
now.

In the part you didn't post, there's the usual disclaimer info that
pertains
to what is and is not covered. In essence it's the standard "Ridgid is
not
responsible for problems not of our making" (see below) -- which, it seems
to me, leaves it entirely up to discretion of the person doing the repairs
make that determination.

Well naturally there would be a disclaimer, neglect and purposely damaging
the tool would void that warranty.

Begging the question: Has anyone here had cause to repair a Ridgid
product, and if so, how pleased were you with your experience. Maybe a
topic for another thread???

I revall having read about repairs on their equipment. But besides that has
anyone ever been dissatisfied with the product or warranty. Typically you
hear about problems more so than a tool that performs as expected.

"...warranty only covers defects arising under normal usage and does not
cover any malfunction, failure or defect resulting from misuse, abuse,
neglect,
alteration, modification or repair by other than an authorized service
center
for RIDGID branded hand held and stationary power tools".

Would you expect otherwise? The tool is not built and expected to perform
when misused, abused, or neglected. They do BTY advertise in some of thir
ads that routine maintaince is covered under the warranty. I suspect that
if you neglect to get routine "free" service performed that that would void
the warranty.

BMW warrants their cars under warranty and perform free maintance for the
first 4 years of 50,000 miles. If you don't have the oil changed at all,
for free, or otherwise and blow the engine, it is going to be on you.

It is a common sense thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"Nova" wrote in message

Ridigid's "Lifetime Warranty" for large stationary tools, due to the fact
they have to be returned, bothers me when sited as a valid reason for
purchasing their tools as it's virtually useless.

I'd venture to say that you bringing it in means that they are not coming
out to do the repair. Jet sent me a start capacitor and eventually a new
motor for my cabinet saw when it was still under warranty. I did all the
leg work. Fine with me except the part with me lifting that honking motor
into place under the table.
I only had to return the big parts, I would imagine that Ridgid would work
with you accordingly.
Oddly the problem with the motor was normal, most all cabinet saws start off
with a hard thump, that is what we were trying to fix.

I don't own any Ridgid power tools so I can't say, but the way the
warranty is worded it would seem the only way they will honor the
warranty is to return the toll to an authorized service center with your
receipt in hand.

I do own a number of Ridgid's pipe tools. The warranty for these hand
tools (threader and pipe wrenches), on the other hand, tells you to
return them to the place of purchase for repair or replacement at
Ridgid's Tools option.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
Seems like a lot of benefits to give just to keep from having to clean
and wax it.

A flat top and less vibration go a long way in improving accuracy. I'd
say granite would be the superior surface if you are willing to take the
precautions, find other ways of using jigs and buy with a good fence to
start with.

For me no. I don't baby my tools.

Is vibration really an issue with a heavy cast iron top?
I'm asking.

Absolutely! Stock belts and pulleys on contractor saws can cause a lot of
vibration. Hence the belt and pulley kits that are offered as aftermarket.
Even the better cabinet saw makers are going from the 3 belt set up to the
serpentine automotive type belts as they don't take a set shape.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"Nova" wrote in message
news
Actually Jack's Lawn Mower Service is a bigger out fit than it sounds.
They service a lot of equipment. Living in Houston, Jack's was the only
place that I could talk to and get the correct parts to repair a Speed
Air compressor that was 8 years old. I did the repairs after getting the
parts from them. Granger could not provide the parts I needed and Speed
Air is their brand.

"Jack's Lawn Mower Service" in the Buffalo area is just a small shop
selling and servicing "outdoor power equipment" (quoted from their web
page).

Either they are not the same Jack's or they need to update their web page.

I doubt that it is. Here's the Buffalo area web site:

http://www.jackslawnmower.com/

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 14-Mar-2009, Nova wrote:

If my saw breaks I'll fix it myself.

Ridigid's "Lifetime Warranty" for large stationary tools, due to the
fact they have to be returned, bothers me when sited as a valid reason
for purchasing their tools as it's virtually useless.

I think you have a valid point. And it probably should also be pointed out ,
that the "Lifetime Waranty" is not bumper-to-bumper -- there are restrictions.

Now, I do own a couple Ridgid tools and I've been more than pleased. No
problems whatsoever. And while I expect that my TS will continue perform
well and last forever -- should it break -- I can't see shipping it off, only to
have some repair guy tell me that the problem's not covered by warranty.
And then charge me for repairs and return freight.

So I suppose it's a good thing for me that the nearest service center is
only a 1/2 hr away.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
For me no. I don't baby my tools.

Is vibration really an issue with a heavy cast iron top?
I'm asking.

Absolutely! Stock belts and pulleys on contractor saws can cause a lot of
vibration. Hence the belt and pulley kits that are offered as aftermarket.
Even the better cabinet saw makers are going from the 3 belt set up to the
serpentine automotive type belts as they don't take a set shape.

Isn't the obvious solution, rather than get a saw with a 300lb top to
dampen vibration, simply upgrade the belt and maybe add a machined pulley?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Leon wrote:
For me no. I don't baby my tools.
Is vibration really an issue with a heavy cast iron top?
I'm asking.

Absolutely! Stock belts and pulleys on contractor saws can cause a
lot of vibration. Hence the belt and pulley kits that are offered
as aftermarket. Even the better cabinet saw makers are going from
the 3 belt set up to the serpentine automotive type belts as they
don't take a set shape.

Isn't the obvious solution, rather than get a saw with a 300lb top to
dampen vibration, simply upgrade the belt and maybe add a machined
pulley?

The 3560 vibrates a little at startup but once it's going it passes the
nickel test just fine. No need for upgraded anything.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 14-Mar-2009, "Leon" wrote:

"CW" wrote in message

No I hadn't. I was strapped for time yesterday. But I've read it over
now.

In the part you didn't post, there's the usual disclaimer info that
pertains to what is and is not covered. In essence it's the standard
"Ridgid is not responsible for problems not of our making" (see below)
which, it seems to me, leaves it entirely up to discretion of the
person doing the repairs to make that determination.

Well naturally there would be a disclaimer, neglect and purposely damaging
the tool would void that warranty.

Of course. I'd not meant to be obtuse or contentious. I realize that
Ridgid is not in business to provide its customers with tools, unconditionally,
for life.

But you seemed a little smitten with this idea of a "Lifetime Waranty"
as if the whole notion made your heart go pitter-pat and your knees
all weak. If it did, then who am I to tell you any different? I happen to
be a little more skeptical though. It's a common sense thing. eg

What it comes down to for me is that some guy -- someone collecting
a paycheck from Ridgid -- decides what is and is not "abuse, neglect,
or purposeful damage". Regardless of how I've treated my TS, it's this
guy's word against mine. What's the likelihood that, should my motor
burn out or something else happen 5, 10, or 15 years down the road --
that he is going to decide that it was due to a "defect in workmanship"?
Do you really think he's going to decide in my favor? If your answer is
other than "Highly unlikely" then I'd love to tell you how to triple your money
in this little ponzi scheme that I've got going...

I bought Ridgid because I read some good stuff about the product I
wanted. The price was right. And it was available the day I needed
it. And the warranty? Well it didn't even crack my top 5 reasons for
buying.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 17:40:00 -0500, Leon cast forth these pearls of
wisdom...:

Would you expect otherwise? The tool is not built and expected to perform
when misused, abused, or neglected. They do BTY advertise in some of thir
ads that routine maintaince is covered under the warranty. I suspect that
if you neglect to get routine "free" service performed that that would void
the warranty.

Nope. No requirement for any "routine maintenance".

--

-Mike-

Ridgid TS 36-6-0! J. Clarke Woodworking 17 March 16th 08 06:14 AM
Ridgid TS 36-6-0! Joe Woodworking 1 March 15th 08 07:51 PM
Ridgid TS 36-6-0! Joe Woodworking 0 March 15th 08 02:48 PM
Ridgid TS2400LS Tablesaw. Opinions? HerHusband Woodworking 2 April 8th 04 03:54 AM
Ridgid George Metalworking 29 November 1st 03 06:19 AM