Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default New Ridgid Tablesaw

-MIKE- wrote:
Leon wrote:
Seems like a lot of benefits to give just to keep from having to
clean and wax it.

A flat top and less vibration go a long way in improving accuracy.
I'd say granite would be the superior surface if you are willing to
take the precautions, find other ways of using jigs and buy with a
good fence to start with.

For me no. I don't baby my tools.

Is vibration really an issue with a heavy cast iron top?
I'm asking.

Not unless there's something causing it which is pretty much independent
of the top.

I can't see granite being a real plus given the issues and the pita
problem it would be if did chip/crack. Seems like a marketing gimmick
to me; I've no clue about whether it's a cost-cutting effort for the
manufacturer or not. Doesn't seem like it must be much cost penalty
anyway given the vendors who are using it.