Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default an absolute model of customer service - Lee Valley

I can't get over what a pleasure it is to speak to the Lee Valley customer
service reps.

You can understand them
They want to help you
They actually sound friendly (yes, you can *hear* when someone is smiling)

In short, they get the job done.

Well done.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 11:26*am, "Joe" wrote:
I can't get over what a pleasure it is to speak to the Lee Valley customer
service reps.

You can understand them
They want to help you
They actually sound friendly (yes, you can *hear* when someone is smiling)

In short, they get the job done.

Well done.

jc

Along those lines I saw last night on the news where a lot of
companies will be offering support in a pay basis to speak to "Sombody
in North America". They said they are losing too many customers with
outsourced support.

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:

I can't get over what a pleasure it is to speak to the Lee Valley customer
service reps.

You can understand them
They want to help you
They actually sound friendly (yes, you can *hear* when someone is smiling)

In short, they get the job done.

Visit one of their stores, and spend a few bucks. They are just as friendly
in real life.
;-)
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Atlanta Woodworking show: Was Lee Valley Cust Svc

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Joe wrote:

I can't get over what a pleasure it is to speak to the Lee Valley
customer
service reps.

You can understand them
They want to help you
They actually sound friendly (yes, you can *hear* when someone is
smiling)

In short, they get the job done.

Visit one of their stores, and spend a few bucks. They are just as
friendly
in real life.
;-)
--
Froz...

*That* would be a little bit of a hike from TN.

And after the bucks I spent at their booth at the Atlanta woodworking show,
I'm sure I don't have enough left to get anything else :-)
They had a great deal, 10% off of everything, no sales tax (another nearly
10%) and free shipping. I took advantage.

They had one of the few booths worth visiting. Others were the Woodworker's
Guild of Georgia for seeing great work and Peachtree for stocking up on
consumables.

Only stationary tools exhibitors were Rigid and Steel City. I was hoping
for some offerings from Powermatic, but no luck there. Apollo was there,
but the Apollo rep wasn't on the day I attended, just a guy selling water
based finishes, so I didn't get that question answered either. L-N was
demonstrating, but not selling, which really mystified me. Oh yeah, the
DeWalt also had a spot, but they were tucked away in a corner and I never
got over there.

Other than that, both it and the Chicago WW shows are mere shadows of their
former selves. Too bad, really.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 12:12*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
Joe wrote:
I can't get over what a pleasure it is to speak to the Lee Valley customer
service reps.

You can understand them
They want to help you
They actually sound friendly (yes, you can *hear* when someone is smiling)

In short, they get the job done.

Visit one of their stores, and spend a few bucks. *They are just as friendly
in real life.
;-)
--
Froz...

Leave the American Express at home. Master Card and Visa are okay, as
they usually have caps on them...enter at you own risk.

I recall being in the London Ontario store and ordering a tool. When
he showed up from the warehouse section with a box, he said: "Did you
want to take a look at it?" He then carefully took out a little knife,
and cut the tape, and opened the box. First taking out the paperwork,
manual, etc and handing them to me for my perusal. Then handing me the
tool after a close inspection. Very patient, cordial and friendly.
And it's always like that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

I recall being in the London Ontario store and ordering a tool. When
he showed up from the warehouse section with a box, he said: "Did you
want to take a look at it?" He then carefully took out a little knife,
and cut the tape, and opened the box. First taking out the paperwork,
manual, etc and handing them to me for my perusal. Then handing me the
tool after a close inspection. Very patient, cordial and friendly.
And it's always like that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who is going to say no to that?

It would be very hard to not buy the tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I once sent a tool back to them that my wife bought for me and I had
rarely used because it had little quirks that made it a hassle to
use. Just could never get it to work correctly. It had been so long
since she bought it that I did not expect any refund or return etc. I
sent it back to them with a letter explaining I didn't expect
anything, and I was not complaining about it, I just wanted them to
examine it and maybe determine what was wrong with it for quality
review or whatever.

A week or so later, a very polite lady CALLED, and wanted to confirm
my shipping address as they were sending me a replacement, no
problem. I told her I didn't really want them to do that since it had
been so long (more than a year perhaps), but they did anyway. The new
item arrived in perfect working order.

I spent much of my GWB stimulus check with them right after Christmas
this year. Thanks LV!
Cheers

On Jan 30, 10:26*am, "Joe" wrote:
I can't get over what a pleasure it is to speak to the Lee Valley customer
service reps.

You can understand them
They want to help you
They actually sound friendly (yes, you can *hear* when someone is smiling)

In short, they get the job done.

Well done.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

Joe wrote:
I can't get over what a pleasure it is to speak to the Lee Valley customer
service reps.

You can understand them
They want to help you
They actually sound friendly (yes, you can *hear* when someone is smiling)

In short, they get the job done.

Well done.

jc

A Lee Vally rep. once gave me the phone number of a competitor. They
did not stock a band saw blade the size I wanted and although they
could have brought one in, said it would cost too much to do a special
order.

That's class.

LdB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Jan 30, 12:12Â*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
Joe wrote:
I can't get over what a pleasure it is to speak to the Lee Valley
customer service reps.

You can understand them
They want to help you
They actually sound friendly (yes, you can *hear* when someone is
smiling)

In short, they get the job done.

Visit one of their stores, and spend a few bucks. Â*They are just as
friendly in real life.
;-)
--
Froz...

Leave the American Express at home. Master Card and Visa are okay, as
they usually have caps on them...enter at you own risk.

I recall being in the London Ontario store and ordering a tool. When
he showed up from the warehouse section with a box, he said: "Did you
want to take a look at it?" He then carefully took out a little knife,
and cut the tape, and opened the box. First taking out the paperwork,
manual, etc and handing them to me for my perusal. Then handing me the
tool after a close inspection. Very patient, cordial and friendly.
And it's always like that.

I usually go to the Toronto West store, only 10 minutes away, they are like
that with everything, they will happily slit open a clear plastic bag so
you can fondle the product before purchase.
--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 12:52*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

I recall being in the London Ontario store and ordering a tool. When
he showed up from the warehouse section with a box, he said: "Did you
want to take a look at it?" He then carefully took out a little knife,
and cut the tape, and opened the box. First taking out the paperwork,
manual, etc and handing them to me for my perusal. Then handing me the
tool after a close inspection. Very patient, cordial and friendly.
And it's always like that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who is going to say no to that?

It would be very hard to not buy the tool.

I wonder if Robin messes with the coffee machine....G

Posted to rec.woodworking

LdB wrote:
A Lee Vally rep. once gave me the phone number of a competitor. They
did not stock a band saw blade the size I wanted and although they
could have brought one in, said it would cost too much to do a special
order.

That's class.

Reminds me of "Miracle on 34th Street." Perhaps they've seen that
movie, too . . .

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.woodworking

LdB wrote:
Joe wrote:
I can't get over what a pleasure it is to speak to the Lee Valley
customer service reps.

You can understand them
They want to help you
They actually sound friendly (yes, you can *hear* when someone is
smiling)

In short, they get the job done.

Well done.

jc

A Lee Vally rep. once gave me the phone number of a competitor. They did
not stock a band saw blade the size I wanted and although they could
have brought one in, said it would cost too much to do a special order.

That's class.

LdB

When I worked for Sears I used to do that all the time when a customer
wanted something that we didn't carry. Sometimes even when we did but
didn't have in stock.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

David G. Nagel wrote:

When I worked for Sears I used to do that all the time when a customer
wanted something that we didn't carry. Sometimes even when we did but
didn't have in stock.

Dave

When I wore a younger man's clothes I worked for a mailorder company for
awhile. One day a customer wanted to order an accessory and I told him that
although I would be happy to take his money I knew that the mfg. was just
about to release an improved version so he might want to wait. There was a
long pause and then he said, "This is why I shop with you guys." Then he
ordered some other stuff he hadn't planned to buy at that time simply
because he felt good about doing business with us. I've said it a thousand
times, treat your customers the way you want to be treated when you're
shopping and most of them will respond positively.

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

I'll second (or third, or fourth) the praise for LV customer service.
I recently had a problem with a lost CC number. They went fishing thru
the stack of hand written sales orders from the recent WW show, and
CALLED me at home. I wasn't home for the first call, so they left a
message. Then they CALLED AGAIN later that day. It's too bad we have
to be so shocked when we get excellent service. They earned a loyal
customer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in
:

I can't get over what a pleasure it is to speak to the Lee Valley
customer service reps.

You can understand them
They want to help you
They actually sound friendly (yes, you can *hear* when someone is
smiling)

In short, they get the job done.

Well done.

jc

Lee Valley are awesome. My wife finally listened and went through my wish
list I put on the LV web site for my Christmas shopping list and bought
most of it - just mostly small stuff. A very Merry Christmas.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"MB" wrote in message
I'll second (or third, or fourth) the praise for LV customer service.
I recently had a problem with a lost CC number. They went fishing thru
the stack of hand written sales orders from the recent WW show, and
CALLED me at home. I wasn't home for the first call, so they left a
message. Then they CALLED AGAIN later that day. It's too bad we have
to be so shocked when we get excellent service. They earned a loyal
customer.

Did I understand correctly that they called YOU to tell you your CC number?
I presume CC means "credit card"? That seems a little *too* helpful if you
ask me. Although I'll agree with the rest of your sentiments.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" writes:

I can't get over what a pleasure it is to speak to the Lee Valley customer
service reps.

I mentioned this to my wife just now, and she hates mail order, but
hates crowded stores more. She just said "When Christmas time comes,
I look forward to talking to them."

Posted to rec.woodworking

LdB wrote:

A Lee Vally rep. once gave me the phone number of a competitor. They did
not stock a band saw blade the size I wanted and although they could
have brought one in, said it would cost too much to do a special order.

That's class.

LdB

I've had that kind of response when they were out of stock as well.Yes,
it's class, but I was dumbfounded. I've never had service like that
anywhere else.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just a guess: By not selling, they didn't have to get a tax number, or
business license. Nor did they have to ship more than a few examples of
what they brought with them for display...

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

I spent much of my GWB stimulus check with them right after Christmas
this year. Thanks LV!

Now you see, that's the trouble with this economy. I think Lee Valley is
wonderful and so are our northern neighbors, but you were supposed to spend that
here.

Hmm. If you did, it probably would have ended up in China. Never mind. Enjoy
your GWB toys. -- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 31, 8:22*am, Tanus wrote:
LdB wrote:
A Lee Vally rep. once gave me the phone number of a competitor. They did
not stock a band saw blade the size I wanted and although they could
have brought one in, said it would cost too much to do a special order.

That's class.

LdB

I've had that kind of response when they were out of stock as well.Yes,
it's class, but I was dumbfounded. I've never had service like that
anywhere else.

Tanus

You're biased.
..
..
..
..
..
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 31, 8:22 am, Tanus wrote:
LdB wrote:
A Lee Vally rep. once gave me the phone number of a competitor. They did
not stock a band saw blade the size I wanted and although they could
have brought one in, said it would cost too much to do a special order.
That's class.
LdB

I've had that kind of response when they were out of stock as well.Yes,
it's class, but I was dumbfounded. I've never had service like that
anywhere else.

Tanus

You're biased.
..
..
..
..
..

That's what my wife says too.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

I just bought a converter box and called support services, and guy spoke
such bad broken English. I wonder how he got that job? Curt

Posted to rec.woodworking

Curtis Martin wrote:
I just bought a converter box and called support services, and guy spoke
such bad broken English. I wonder how he got that job? Curt

He went to the Mumbai employment office and filled out an application.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Curtis Martin wrote:
I just bought a converter box and called support services, and guy spoke
such bad broken English. I wonder how he got that job? Curt

He went to the Mumbai employment office and filled out an application.

The movie "Slumdog Millionaire" has an interesting take on the
Mumbai call center culture . . .

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.