Gfretwell

Default Dremel Customer Service - Outstanding (must be taking lessons from Lee Valley)

I agree, Dremel is a quality outfit. I bought my first tool real cheap in a
pawn shop and figured out why it was hocked the first time I used it. The
coupler was bad. I figured this was some kind of unobtanium. To my surprise
every part in this thing is on the Dremel web site and pretty cheap. For about
$5 (shipped) I had new couplers and brushes, the only other suspect parts when
I took it apart.
Since then I have bought some other Dremel tools, comfortable that I can always
get parts easily.
CW

I doubt they will miss your business. They have sold millions of these
things to mostly satisfied customers. The first one I had lasted for 12
years. The one I have now is twelve years old.
"Morgans" wrote in message

I wonder if I contacted them, I would get two new dremmell tools. I have
owned two of them, and the bearings have gone out in both of them after a
very short time. I will not buy another
--
Jim in NC

Bob S.

Jim,

Wondering about it won't solve the problem. Click here
http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html and click on Customer Service or
call 1-800-437-3635 (7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CST Monday through Friday) and
give them a chance to respond. My minor complaint was over a $6.75 item -
peanuts compared to the cost of two Dremel tools.

Perhaps they had a bad batch of bearings ?

Ring their bell and report back what happens...

Bob S.

I wonder if I contacted them, I would get two new dremmell tools. I have
owned two of them, and the bearings have gone out in both of them after a
very short time. I will not buy another
--
Jim in NC

Morgans

"Fred McClellan" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:19:35 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:
SNIP

I wonder if I contacted them, I would get two new dremmell tools. I have
owned two of them, and the bearings have gone out in both of them after a
very short time. I will not buy another

Not saying this happened to you, but I've found that Dremel motor
shafts are fairly easily bent, and that leads to bearing failure.

One drop to the shop floor will do it.

DAMHIKT.

My last Dremel 'multi-tool' took a bite of asphalt floor tile, and I
got ready to rebuild it.

Needed bearings, shaft, yada yada yada. Thought I'd change brushes
while I had the thing apart.

Started ordering the stuff over the phone, and the CS rep asked if I
was going to rebuild the tool. I said yes.

She said she'd be glad to sell me the parts, but that I'd get by
cheaper by _trading in_ the old tool for the current model.

Turns out Dremel has a maximum charge to rebuild one of their
roto-tools, and if the rebuild exceeds that total, they send you a
_new_ one.

The other thing I learned the hard way is that the Dremel is _not_ an
industrial tool. If that's what you need, Dremel ain't gonna cut it.

The Dremel is a small _hobby_ tool, not in the same league with a
Foredom by a long shot.

FWIW.
Cheers,
Fred McClellan
the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

I agree about the hobby status. I was using it mainly for building RC
airplanes.

I now use a air powered die grinder. Overkill, but I always have enough
power! g
--
Jim in NC

Bob McConnell

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:54:41 GMT, "Bob S."
wrote:

Seldom do we take the time to recognize outstanding individuals that work at
companies we purchase products from but are often quick to criticize them
when there's a problem.

I bought their Model 1680 scroll saw on clearance at Lowes last year.
It had been the display model and all documents and a couple of parts
were missing. I sent them an email asking where I could buy the manual
and parts, and the reply email only asked for my postal address. I got
the manual, complete parts list and a brand new catalog about three
days later. I'm quite happy with both the saw and the service.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Fred McClellan

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:26:46 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

I agree about the hobby status. I was using it mainly for building RC
airplanes.

I now use a air powered die grinder. Overkill, but I always have enough
power! g

Damn !

I forgot all about my near-thirty-year-old Craftsman high speed
quarter-horsepower grinder . . . worked great hogging out intake and
exhaust runners when I was 'tweaking' Spridget cylinder heads back in
the early 70s. Blew up a bunch of stones . . .

I need to unearth that beast and see if it still runs . . . got a pile
of .032" 2024-T3 aluminum sheets I need to turn into servo arms,
control horns, and bell cranks. I was pretty sure the Dremel wouldn't
care for that stuff . . .