Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Truly waterproof glue and waterproof finish

I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of
building a wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden. Can
anyone tell me if there is a glue out there that will stand being
constantly immersed in water and is there a finish that will waterproof
and preserve the timber without poisoning the birds or tainting the water?

While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?

Gary(UK)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gary Dean wrote:

I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of
building a wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden. Can
anyone tell me if there is a glue out there that will stand being
constantly immersed in water and is there a finish that will waterproof
and preserve the timber without poisoning the birds or tainting the water?

While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?

Gary(UK)

West Epoxy will satisfy all you asked for, but it will still need
something to protect it (and the wood) from UV.

Richard
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gary Dean wrote:
I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of
building a wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden. Can
anyone tell me if there is a glue out there that will stand being
constantly immersed in water and is there a finish that will
waterproof and preserve the timber without poisoning the birds or
tainting the water?

While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?

Resorcinol glue is generally preferred for bonds that will be immersed
in water. WEST epoxy, System 3, or any other good epoxy should also
work. As for a finish that's non-toxic and good for continuous
immersion, you're better off with a plastic liner.

There aren't any really good choices for lumber--the woods that stand
up well when continuously wet are difficult to bond.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:40:48 +0100, Gary Dean
wrote:

I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of
building a wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden. Can
anyone tell me if there is a glue out there that will stand being
constantly immersed in water and is there a finish that will waterproof
and preserve the timber without poisoning the birds or tainting the water?

While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?

Gary(UK)

Epoxies and Polyurethanes are supposed to be waterproof.

For the bowl itself, however, you might want to consider designing in
the manner of redwood water tanks that are held together mechanically
and rely on the swelling of the wood for seal. Can you get redwood or
something similar in the UK?

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of
building a wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden. Can
anyone tell me if there is a glue out there that will stand being
constantly immersed in water and is there a finish that will waterproof
and preserve the timber without poisoning the birds or tainting the water?

While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?

Gary(UK)

I'm sure you can use a marine epoxy varnish--not cheap. I guess white
oak would work, but any plastic or concrete bird bath will outlast the
wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Frank Boettcher wrote in
:

wrote:

I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of
building a wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden. Can
anyone tell me if there is a glue out there that will stand being
constantly immersed in water and is there a finish that will
waterproof and preserve the timber without poisoning the birds or
tainting the water?

While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?

Gary(UK)

Epoxies and Polyurethanes are supposed to be waterproof.

For the bowl itself, however, you might want to consider designing in
the manner of redwood water tanks that are held together mechanically
and rely on the swelling of the wood for seal. Can you get redwood or
something similar in the UK?

Frank

That sounds to me like a great idea. Maybe an old whiskey barrel?
Clearing out the contents would enhance the enjoyment one gets from the
project.

There used to be (and maybe still is) a technique for building boats
whereby strips of wood are attached to a frame. When finished, the boat
is launched, whereupon it fills with water since it leaks like a sieve.
Once thoroughly soaked, the water is pumped or bailed out, and the
swelling keeps the boat practically water-tight. Rot-resistant wood
would be best grin. The building method was cheap and very popular in
Holland http://www.fast351.com/boating/16m2/16m2.jpg is an example of
the boats, but I can't find a good web site refereencing the building
method. The boats used to be taken out during the winter, and repainted,
I believe.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gary Dean" wrote in message
I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of building a
wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden. Can anyone tell me if
there is a glue out there that will stand being constantly immersed in
water and is there a finish that will waterproof and preserve the timber
without poisoning the birds or tainting the water?

While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?

Gary(UK)

I'd line the inside with glass cloth and polyester resin, same as used for
boats.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That looks like a BM. I spent an entire summer camp learning how to
sail one before they let us have Rainbows for the next year's camp.
There had to have been thousands of those around...or at least, there
appeared to be back then.
Memories.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gary Dean" wrote in message
I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of building a
wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden. Can anyone tell me if
there is a glue out there that will stand being constantly immersed in
water and is there a finish that will waterproof and preserve the timber
without poisoning the birds or tainting the water?

While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?

That sounds like a fine idea. You are right that constant immersion requires
a special glue, more than just weatherproof and as others have said you need
to worry about UV light. You _can_ do the job by using boat building
timbers, adhesives and finishes but if it was me I would want to put it in
the garden and leave it to weather so use a timber suitable for outside use
like a good dense oak or a cedar, line the bowl with a bit of roofing lead
beaten into shape with a rubber mallet, sit the foot on a piece of stone to
keep it off the wet ground, design and join in such a way that it will be
resistant to seasonal soaking, freezing, baking and drying and it sounds
like a really cool project. Good luck.

Tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Jul 5, 7:59Â*am, Han wrote:
Frank Boettcher wrote
:

wrote:

I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of
building a wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden. Â*Can
anyone tell me if there is a glue out there that will stand being
constantly immersed in water and is there a finish that will
waterproof and preserve the timber without poisoning the birds or
tainting the water?

While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?

Gary(UK)

Epoxies and Polyurethanes are supposed to be waterproof.

For the bowl itself, however, you might want to consider designing in
the manner of redwood water tanks that are held together mechanically
and rely on the swelling of the wood for seal. Â*Can you get redwood or
something similar in the UK?

Frank

That sounds to me like a great idea. Â*Maybe an old whiskey barrel?
Clearing out the contents would enhance the enjoyment one gets from the
project.

There used to be (and maybe still is) a technique for building boats
whereby strips of wood are attached to a frame. Â*When finished, the boat
is launched, whereupon it fills with water since it leaks like a sieve.
Once thoroughly soaked, the water is pumped or bailed out, and the
swelling keeps the boat practically water-tight. Â*Rot-resistant wood
would be best grin. Â*The building method was cheap and very popular in
Holland http://www.fast351.com/boating/16m2/16m2.jpg is an example of
the boats, but I can't find a good web site refereencing the building
method. Â*The boats used to be taken out during the winter, and repainted,
I believe.

--
Best regards
Han

That looks like a BM.

Bowel Movement?
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

FrozenNorth wrote in
:

Robatoy wrote:

On Jul 5, 7:59Â*am, Han wrote:
Frank Boettcher wrote
:

wrote:

I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of
building a wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden.
Â*Can anyone tell me if there is a glue out there that will stand
being constantly immersed in water and is there a finish that will
waterproof and preserve the timber without poisoning the birds or
tainting the water?

While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?

Gary(UK)

Epoxies and Polyurethanes are supposed to be waterproof.

For the bowl itself, however, you might want to consider designing
in the manner of redwood water tanks that are held together
mechanically and rely on the swelling of the wood for seal. Â*Can
you get redwood or something similar in the UK?

Frank

That sounds to me like a great idea. Â*Maybe an old whiskey barrel?
Clearing out the contents would enhance the enjoyment one gets from
the project.

There used to be (and maybe still is) a technique for building boats
whereby strips of wood are attached to a frame. Â*When finished, the
boat is launched, whereupon it fills with water since it leaks like
a sieve. Once thoroughly soaked, the water is pumped or bailed out,
and the swelling keeps the boat practically water-tight.
Â*Rot-resistant wood would be best grin. Â*The building method was
cheap and very popular in Holland
http://www.fast351.com/boating/16m2/16m2.jpg is an example of
the boats, but I can't find a good web site refereencing the
building method. Â*The boats used to be taken out during the winter,
and repainted, I believe.

--
Best regards
Han

That looks like a BM.

Bowel Movement?

Bulthuis Method. Guy invented the system to make el cheapo boats (for
that era, pre-WWII I believe). The disadvantage was that making sharp
bows was difficult. The blunt bows caused a lot of spray, especially on
those lakes with short chop, like Sneekermeer.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Fellas

There are some very useful suggestions in there and will get back to you
when I have finished the bath and given it a season or two to weather in.
Gary