Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Waterproof Glue

I really need a non-biodegradable, self-sealing, heavy-duty, absolutely
water-tight plasic bag, at least four feet by two feet but I was unable
to find anything like this from any packaging supplier. I figure I can
glue together two sides of a shower curtin but I need an adhesive that
is very secure and water tight. Home Depot did not seem to have anything
like this. Any ideas on what product would work and where to get it ?
Stephen

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The One" wrote in message
I really need a non-biodegradable, self-sealing, heavy-duty, absolutely
water-tight plasic bag, at least four feet by two feet but I was unable
to find anything like this from any packaging supplier. I figure I can
glue together two sides of a shower curtin but I need an adhesive that
is very secure and water tight. Home Depot did not seem to have anything
like this. Any ideas on what product would work and where to get it ?
Stephen

What about one of those "space bags"? The kind you see on TV that they put
clothes in and vacumn out the air? They show those being submirsed in water,
no leakage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian V wrote:

"The One" wrote in message

I really need a non-biodegradable, self-sealing, heavy-duty, absolutely
water-tight plasic bag, at least four feet by two feet but I was unable
to find anything like this from any packaging supplier. I figure I can
glue together two sides of a shower curtin but I need an adhesive that
is very secure and water tight. Home Depot did not seem to have anything
like this. Any ideas on what product would work and where to get it ?
Stephen

What about one of those "space bags"? The kind you see on TV that they put
clothes in and vacumn out the air? They show those being submirsed in water,
no leakage.

I susprct that the OP's requirement of "heavy duty" may disqualify the
"space bag" type things. After all, the OP is looking at something as
thick
as a shower curtain or his do it yourself bag.

A looong time ago, (mid 1980s) when I had less sense, I used to do
serious white water rafting.
A local equipment store around here used to sell big "sea bag" size
plastic / rubber bags that were
sealable at the top through ian ntricate system of folds and "buttons".
These thing were the size of
an old Navy seabag of the kind you saw in some WWII era movies. They
did keep your spare clothes and camp stove and cooking gear dry, even if
you did roll your raft and dump the bag into a class 4 or 5 rapids.

Those were not locally (Portland, OR) mad, but I have no recollection of
a brand name or manufacturer. Theywere not cheap.

Perhaps if there is an R.E.I. store (big outfitting chain) or a Cabelas
(sp?) nrear the OP one of those outfits mayhave something appropriate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bags like this are heat sealed not glued.

You would need to find a vinyl glue if you want to glue a plastic shower
curtain together. Even if you found a glue to do this I doubt it would
fulfill your strength requirements. Also, this glue would most likely have
to melt the two pieces together like glue used for PVC drain pipe.

I think you are going to have to look for bags designed for boating like
white water rafting or kayaking.

"The One" wrote in message
I really need a non-biodegradable, self-sealing, heavy-duty, absolutely
water-tight plasic bag, at least four feet by two feet but I was unable
to find anything like this from any packaging supplier. I figure I can
glue together two sides of a shower curtin but I need an adhesive that
is very secure and water tight. Home Depot did not seem to have anything
like this. Any ideas on what product would work and where to get it ?
Stephen

Posted to alt.home.repair

The One wrote:
I really need a non-biodegradable, self-sealing, heavy-duty,
absolutely water-tight plasic bag, at least four feet by two feet
but I was unable to find anything like this from any packaging
supplier. I figure I can glue together two sides of a shower curtin
but I need an adhesive that is very secure and water tight. Home
Depot did not seem to have anything like this. Any ideas on what
product would work and where to get it ? Stephen

Consider can liners. Here's some:

three x four feet, 2 mil thickness (less than a shower curtain, but far
stronger).

http://www.toiletpaperworld.com/tpw/...05011-88%20GRA

Posted to alt.home.repair

The One writes:

Any ideas on what product would work and where to get it ?

Flexible PVC shower liner and PVC cement from the plumbing dept.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The One wrote:
I really need a non-biodegradable, self-sealing, heavy-duty,
absolutely water-tight plasic bag, at least four feet by two feet
but I was unable to find anything like this from any packaging
supplier. I figure I can glue together two sides of a shower curtin
but I need an adhesive that is very secure and water tight. Home
Depot did not seem to have anything like this. Any ideas on what
product would work and where to get it ? Stephen

Try water based contact cement from any hardware store. Solvent base
would be OK if it doesn't deteriorate your plastic.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:10:22 -0400, "claude" wrote:

Not what.... Who )

This is all very informative but I am curious about the poster's indented
use for this bag.

Not indentured, right?

"Goedjn" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:56:50 -0400, (The One)

Oren

"equal opportunity, not equal results"