Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Truly waterproof glue and waterproof finish

Gary Dean wrote:
I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of
building a wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden. Can
anyone tell me if there is a glue out there that will stand being
constantly immersed in water and is there a finish that will
waterproof and preserve the timber without poisoning the birds or
tainting the water?

While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?

Resorcinol glue is generally preferred for bonds that will be immersed
in water. WEST epoxy, System 3, or any other good epoxy should also
work. As for a finish that's non-toxic and good for continuous
immersion, you're better off with a plastic liner.

There aren't any really good choices for lumber--the woods that stand
up well when continuously wet are difficult to bond.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)