Posted to alt.home.repair

Default to waterproof or not to waterproof(and stain) pressure treated wood (kids home swingset)...

We are about to setup a kids playset out back.. which comes with some
lumber, but about 9 4x4x8's it didnt include.

Some say you dont really need to waterproof or even stain these unless
you want to.. that you can simply use a pressure washer to bring it
back to life every so often (as it fades and gets that ugly old wood
appearance).

My question is if there is any benefit, aside from avoiding water
pressure cleaning of the wood, to doing the waterproofing/staining
(i'm assuming they make waterproofing with stain built in)..

IE: Will the wood last any longer if i do the waterproofing every 5
years or so?

How long is likely to hold up without doing so? (the typical 10 year
range etc)?

Thanks for any thoughts

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

markm75 wrote:
We are about to setup a kids playset out back.. which comes with some
lumber, but about 9 4x4x8's it didnt include.

Some say you dont really need to waterproof or even stain these unless
you want to.. that you can simply use a pressure washer to bring it
back to life every so often (as it fades and gets that ugly old wood
appearance).

My question is if there is any benefit, aside from avoiding water
pressure cleaning of the wood, to doing the waterproofing/staining
(i'm assuming they make waterproofing with stain built in)..

IE: Will the wood last any longer if i do the waterproofing every 5
years or so?

How long is likely to hold up without doing so? (the typical 10 year
range etc)?

Thanks for any thoughts

Don't fret about it.
Consider this: drive through any subdivision and observe all the
unused kiddie playsets that are obviously terminally idle. Kids will
use them the first year sporadically, once in a blue moon the second
year and then ignore them ever after while they go to the mall with
their friends or play with their PS3's.
Best thing is to avoid messing up your yard with a dreary structure
with no particular future. Makes more sense to spade up a small area
and teach them gardening with sturdy flowers. YMMV

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 11:08 am, Joe wrote:
markm75 wrote:
[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

This may be true.. but my kids are young.. 6 months, 4 years.. i
expect to get about 10 years of use out it.. I know i used my metal
playset till i was around 10 (i think).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 10, 10:55 am, markm75 wrote:
On May 10, 11:08 am, Joe wrote:

markm75 wrote:
[...]

Remember your kids are a whole different generation. Everything you
did will be old fashioned to them. The music you like will be
'quaint', the monster plastic toys will be boring all too soon, the
list goes on. It's just the panoply of life, so just do your best to
show them life's inscrutable boundaries. Take them to a nice
neighborhood playground to see what they really like and don't worry
about having one in your yard. Be firm about music lessons (practice,
practice...) and free with rewards, and read to the tykes or have them
read to you an hour or more every day. Buy them real tools and show
them how to use them, no gaudy plastic cartoon tools allowed. Do all
this and maybe they'll stop by one day when you're old and feeble and
quickly fix your leaky roof. Best of luck.

Joe