Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Truly waterproof glue and waterproof finish

FrozenNorth wrote in
:

Robatoy wrote:

On Jul 5, 7:59Â*am, Han wrote:
Frank Boettcher wrote
:

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:40:48 +0100, Gary Dean
wrote:

I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of
building a wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden.
Â*Can anyone tell me if there is a glue out there that will stand
being constantly immersed in water and is there a finish that will
waterproof and preserve the timber without poisoning the birds or
tainting the water?

While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?

Gary(UK)

Epoxies and Polyurethanes are supposed to be waterproof.

For the bowl itself, however, you might want to consider designing
in the manner of redwood water tanks that are held together
mechanically and rely on the swelling of the wood for seal. Â*Can
you get redwood or something similar in the UK?

Frank

That sounds to me like a great idea. Â*Maybe an old whiskey barrel?
Clearing out the contents would enhance the enjoyment one gets from
the project.

There used to be (and maybe still is) a technique for building boats
whereby strips of wood are attached to a frame. Â*When finished, the
boat is launched, whereupon it fills with water since it leaks like
a sieve. Once thoroughly soaked, the water is pumped or bailed out,
and the swelling keeps the boat practically water-tight.
Â*Rot-resistant wood would be best grin. Â*The building method was
cheap and very popular in Holland
http://www.fast351.com/boating/16m2/16m2.jpg is an example of
the boats, but I can't find a good web site refereencing the
building method. Â*The boats used to be taken out during the winter,
and repainted, I believe.

--
Best regards
Han

That looks like a BM.

Bowel Movement?

Bulthuis Method. Guy invented the system to make el cheapo boats (for
that era, pre-WWII I believe). The disadvantage was that making sharp
bows was difficult. The blunt bows caused a lot of spray, especially on
those lakes with short chop, like Sneekermeer.

--
Best regards
Han