Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Truly waterproof glue and waterproof finish

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:40:48 +0100, Gary Dean
wrote:

I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of
building a wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden. Can
anyone tell me if there is a glue out there that will stand being
constantly immersed in water and is there a finish that will waterproof
and preserve the timber without poisoning the birds or tainting the water?

While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?

Gary(UK)

Epoxies and Polyurethanes are supposed to be waterproof.

For the bowl itself, however, you might want to consider designing in
the manner of redwood water tanks that are held together mechanically
and rely on the swelling of the wood for seal. Can you get redwood or
something similar in the UK?

Frank