Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Waterproof glue for teapot?

Is there a glue suitable for sticking the spout back on to a teapot?
Obviously it would need to be resistant to heat and water, and not
dissolve into the tea and poison us.

Thanks,

- guy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 31, 2:57*pm, Guy Snape
wrote:
Is there a glue suitable for sticking the spout back on to a teapot?
Obviously it would need to be resistant to heat and water, and not
dissolve into the tea and poison us.

Thanks,

- guy

Two part epoxy like Araldite.
I tried evostick for this once. The spout fell off when it got hot.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Guy Snape wrote:
Is there a glue suitable for sticking the spout back on to a teapot?
Obviously it would need to be resistant to heat and water, and not
dissolve into the tea and poison us.

I simply would not do this. The danger of hot (near-boiling) liquid
spewing out over people (or just me!) when the spout fell off would not
be fun.

And, depending on the damage that caused it to fall off in the first
place, you might find it still unusable.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy Snape says...
Is there a glue suitable for sticking the spout back on to a teapot?
Obviously it would need to be resistant to heat and water, and not
dissolve into the tea and poison us.

Thanks,

- guy

I've used Araldite to reattach a knob after it's spot weld
failed that held it to the lid of a stainless steel tea
pot. That has put up with boiling water for several years
now. However, for sticking a ceramic spout back on I'd be
dubious. As another poster said - it could always fall off
again and scold someone. If the teapot is of some
sentimental value I'd fix it with araldite then just put it
in a display cabinet, certainly not use it.
--
David in Normandy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jan, 14:57, Guy Snape
wrote:
Is there a glue suitable for sticking the spout back on to a teapot?
Obviously it would need to be resistant to heat and water, and not
dissolve into the tea and poison us.

I'd use some hot melt chocolate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:14:22 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Guy Snape wrote:
Is there a glue suitable for sticking the spout back on to a teapot?
Obviously it would need to be resistant to heat and water, and not
dissolve into the tea and poison us.

I simply would not do this. The danger of hot (near-boiling) liquid
spewing out over people (or just me!) when the spout fell off would not
be fun.

I agree .I thinking poisoning would be the least thing to concern
yourself about....You pour boiling water in to the teapot,stir it a
couple of times,replace the lid then take it to the table and as you
lean over to pour the tea,possibly with the cup or mug in your other
hand the spout decides to remove itself from the teapot and someone
possibly yourself ,gets a blast of extremely hot water over themselves
.. Not nice ,
Dump the teapot and buy another one . What is so special about that
one anyway ?.It can't have been valuable else you would not have been
using it anyway .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy Snape wrote:
Is there a glue suitable for sticking the spout back on to a teapot?
Obviously it would need to be resistant to heat and water, and not
dissolve into the tea and poison us.

Thanks,

- guy

Epoxy is very good for this.

If the spout will stay in place without assistance mix up epoxy
THROUGHLY, smear on, squidge spout back on and use acetone or cellulose
thinners to clean up.

If it wont stay in place try to use a rubber band.

I always bake these repairs in the bottom aga oven - around 90C. That
seems to cure the epoxy better and harder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy wrote:
Guy Snape says...
Is there a glue suitable for sticking the spout back on to a teapot?
Obviously it would need to be resistant to heat and water, and not
dissolve into the tea and poison us.

Thanks,

- guy

I've used Araldite to reattach a knob after it's spot weld
failed that held it to the lid of a stainless steel tea
pot. That has put up with boiling water for several years
now. However, for sticking a ceramic spout back on I'd be
dubious. As another poster said - it could always fall off
again and scold someone. If the teapot is of some
sentimental value I'd fix it with araldite then just put it
in a display cabinet, certainly not use it.

If you cure the epoxy at high temperatures, it wont fail under heat.

Its the only glue that really works on porcelain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy Snape wrote:
Is there a glue suitable for sticking the spout back on to a teapot?
Obviously it would need to be resistant to heat and water, and not
dissolve into the tea and poison us.

Thanks,

- guy

How about JB weld. Try the waterweld stuff, drinking water safe and heat
resistant to 300 F / 148 C

http://jbweld.net/products/water.php

Hope that helps

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 10:26, Rob Horton wrote:
Guy Snape wrote:
Is there a glue suitable for sticking the spout back on to a teapot?
Obviously it would need to be resistant to heat and water, and not
dissolve into the tea and poison us.

Thanks,

- guy

How about JB weld. Try the waterweld stuff, drinking water safe and heat
resistant to 300 F / 148 C

http://jbweld.net/products/water.php

Hope that helps

Just as a warning for this material - which I agree might tolerate the
temperature - it does set with a definite grey colour which would be
all too apparent if this is a white teapot.

I know this is a bit geekish, but I've used one of the other JB Weld
epoxies to make a methylated spirit stove out of a beer can - at about
1 oz this is very satisfactory for ultra lightweight camping.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy Snape wrote:
Is there a glue suitable for sticking the spout back on to a teapot?
Obviously it would need to be resistant to heat and water, and not
dissolve into the tea and poison us.
Thanks,
- guy

How about JB weld. Try the waterweld stuff, drinking water safe and heat
resistant to 300 F / 148 C

http://jbweld.net/products/water.php

Hope that helps

Just as a warning for this material - which I agree might tolerate the
temperature - it does set with a definite grey colour which would be
all too apparent if this is a white teapot.

I know this is a bit geekish, but I've used one of the other JB Weld
epoxies to make a methylated spirit stove out of a beer can - at about
1 oz this is very satisfactory for ultra lightweight camping.

Rob

Thats why I use a clearish epoxy.

Its actually pretty good,and I can add microballoons to make it white.

As I said. setting it at a higher temperature than it will get in use,
makes it pretty safe from that point of view.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've used Araldite on a mug handle, and then run it through the
dishwasher. Many times. It copes fine with that.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 21:13, Andy Champ wrote:
I've used Araldite on a mug handle, and then run it through the
dishwasher. Many times. It copes fine with that.

Andy

I used Araldite on a large ceramic teapot handle twenty years ago and
it's still going fine.

Jonathan