Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Venting about trucks, trailers, and custmer service

Over the weekend I finished most of my move. I had moved all of my
machines a couple weeks ago except for one where the cabinet I made was
5 feet wide. As it turns out, the 5'x9' trailer is really 4'10" on the
inside. And the guy I normally rent trailers from didn't have the
6'x12' open uhauls...

So I rent the biggest truck my normal uhaul guy has. He asked me if I
wanted the appliance dolly. I said no because I already have one...
nearly identical to the uhaul one in fact. He calls me today with the
total saying that it includes the applicance dolly rental. When I said
that I tried not to rent the dolly, he tells me that I didn't sweep out
the truck either, which is normally a $25 charge, but he didn't charge
me for that. And mentions quickly under his breath that he can't go
back and change the total now. For the record, I didn't sweep out the
truck. But it was about as clean as it was when I got it, which was
nearly perfect. My knee-jerk reaction is to find another u-haul
dealer. And I've rented from him maybe a dozen times in the last three
years.

So back to my 5' cabinet. I had to rent a trailer from another rental
place, not u-haul. It seems that no u-haul dealer has open 6'x12'
trailers. I called five of them. The central u-haul 800 number says
they want $5 up front, and they'll call me tomorrow with the address of
someone who has it. This is chicago though. So I'm sure they would
come up with someone clear across town.

The cost to rent the open 6'x12' trailer from this other place was $60.
Now I'm no cheap skate. But this is about twice what u-haul charges.
I (politely) asked the grumpy old man behind the counter why it was so
high. I asked, "What am I getting for twice the money? Am I getting
better service? A better trailer?" I mentioned that I would rather
work with a privately owned place like that, even if the price is
higher. But there's a point where it doesn't make sense anymore. He
complained about how u-haul is self- insured, but they have to buy
insurance and that's what it costs to put a trailer on the road. He
can't help it if they're giving them away. While every u-haul dealer
in town sells out of their trailers every weekend, this guy had a lot
devoid of people and full of a couple dozen trailers.

What's happening? I'm I getting old or something? I would never treat
my customers like the u-haul guy did. We're on a first name basis.
And we're only talking $10. And the other place seems like they would
rather take their ball and go home than to engauge in any reasonable
competition with u-haul. Why have the trailers?

There was a nice lady I talked to at another local u-haul rental place.
She recommended her competition when she didn't have the bigger
trailer. I'll start going to her guess. I guess I'm done venting.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

brianlanning wrote:
...[U-Haul guy] ... mentions quickly under his breath that he can't go
[...]

My impression from the last experience w/ U-Haul (which I intend to be
_THE_ last one ) is that their billing software now is so inflexible
from corporate the local rental places essentially have no freedom for
fixing any billing other than, say, the sweep-out charge which they can
add/not add. It certainly appears true they can't change anything once
billed, even an incorrect billing. I had the local guy charge an extra
day and it took nearly an Act of Congress to get it corrected through
corporate -- at his billing station, once their software thought said
trailer was rented for two days there was literally no way he could
alter the fact.

It may well be that is fairly close to the marginal cost for the local
self-financed guy under his cost model. Quite possibly he has the same
problem as do many other small outfits--not enough volume combined w/
relatively high fixed costs to keep the incremental cost high.
Alternatively, he might just be a grumpy old man and as stodgy in his
ways by now as I...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
brianlanning wrote:
My impression from the last experience w/ U-Haul (which I intend to be
_THE_ last one ) is that their billing software now is so inflexible
from corporate the local rental places essentially have no freedom for
fixing any billing other than, say, the sweep-out charge which they can
add/not add. It certainly appears true they can't change anything once
billed, even an incorrect billing. I had the local guy charge an extra
day and it took nearly an Act of Congress to get it corrected through
corporate -- at his billing station, once their software thought said
trailer was rented for two days there was literally no way he could
alter the fact.

Someone sent me an email describing some of their business model these
days. They sound like typical corporate america. That by itself is
enough to make me not get a u-haul trailer again.

It may well be that is fairly close to the marginal cost for the local
self-financed guy under his cost model. Quite possibly he has the same
problem as do many other small outfits--not enough volume combined w/
relatively high fixed costs to keep the incremental cost high.
Alternatively, he might just be a grumpy old man and as stodgy in his
ways by now as I...

I know the small u-haul people make next to nothing on the rentals. I
have to wonder why they put up with it.

As for the non u-haul guy, they're probably having a hard time
competing with a corporate giant who can play games with the laws and
get huge discounts on equipment by buying in volume. I could tell he
was feeling great about his job that day, even before I started talking
to him.

I think the plan is for us to buy a 12' or 16' trailer as soon as we
have a place to park it. Seems more workable to us (since we drive
vans) than a separate pickup truck.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11 Dec 2006 11:38:10 -0800, "brianlanning"
wrote:

Over the weekend I finished most of my move.

snip of difficulty with U-Haul and guy at competition

every u-haul dealer
in town sells out of their trailers every weekend

What's happening? I'm I getting old or something? I would never treat
my customers like the u-haul guy did. We're on a first name basis.
And we're only talking $10. And the other place seems like they would
rather take their ball and go home than to engauge in any reasonable
competition with u-haul. Why have the trailers?

There was a nice lady I talked to at another local u-haul rental place.
She recommended her competition when she didn't have the bigger
trailer. I'll start going to her guess. I guess I'm done venting.

brian

I'm glad I own my trailer.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

Over the weekend I finished most of my move.

snip of difficulty with U-Haul and guy at competition

I'm glad I own my trailer.

Figured out if your amortized per usage cost is less than U-Haul's rate
yet???

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Figured out if your amortized per usage cost is less than U-Haul's rate
yet???

Mine is...

Especially when I also add in "dumpster rental" for all the time it
spends holding debris. g
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think the plan is for us to buy a 12' or 16' trailer as soon as we
have a place to park it. Seems more workable to us (since we drive
vans) than a separate pickup truck.

I own a 10' enclosed trailer and have been very happy. That trailer is
the smartest investment I ever made. Once you own a trailer you find
uses for it all the time, more than expected. A quality trailer is a
simple device compared to a truck and can outlast several pickups and
perhaps last the rest of your life. Repairs and maintenance are simple
compared to a truck. So, if you can find the room for it then buy one
for sure.

The coolest thing about the enclosed trailer is that it give you
secure, weatherproof storage seperate from the truck. This has a lot
of advantages and will cause you to use your truck in a whole new way.
If it's inconvenient to haul your gear all over, you can just lock up
and unhook and your truck is empty and available. If conditions don't
allow for immediate unloading, your gear is secure and can be accessed
at your convenience.

I love my trailer and would like to own another. That way you could
have a trailer devoted to a particular task ready to go and other
trailers which are empty and available. My next trailer will be a
gooseneck tandem with a dump bed and removable sides rated to 14,000
lbs. After that I would like to have a 20' enclosed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm in a university community. U-Haul is absolutely the
worst of the dealers. Their equipment is in poor condition
(compared to Ryder, which has much nicer newer trucks), and
while they're happy to take your money and reservations, they
can't guarantee that the truck or trailer you reserved will
actually be available.

Why are you second-guessing the place with the higher prices?
Their costs probably ARE higher than U-Haul's, and their
service is probably much better. You complained about your
treatment at U-Haul, but then you say you don't want to
pay any more.

brianlanning wrote:

What's happening? I'm I getting old or something? I would never treat
my customers like the u-haul guy did. We're on a first name basis.
And we're only talking $10. And the other place seems like they would
rather take their ball and go home than to engauge in any reasonable
competition with u-haul. Why have the trailers?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Over the weekend I finished most of my move.

snip of difficulty with U-Haul and guy at competition

I'm glad I own my trailer.

Figured out if your amortized per usage cost is less than U-Haul's rate
yet???

Easily.

The trailer was a couple of hundred bucks around 25 years ago. It
only gets better as time passes.

It's moved the contents of two households from one place to another.
It's made numerous trips hauling dirty things that I and others would
be loathe to put in our cars. It's made the transport of sheetgoods
possible. It's helped quite a bit with hauling lumber and firewood.

And it's available at a moments notice. At 9am or 9pm. Whichever.
And I don't have to deal with any self important fools or accounting
software that doesn't allow for correction of mistakes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

lwhaley wrote:
I own a 10' enclosed trailer and have been very happy.

I would like to get an enclosed trailer. My wife keeps pointing out
that we wouldn't be able to haul a refridgerator in it though since the
top would likely be too low. I'd like to be able to put a car on it
also. And i really dislike the idea of having to bend over inside.
Maybe someone makes one with a 7' interior height? Maybe I need a
horse trailer.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

M Berger wrote:
Why are you second-guessing the place with the higher prices?
Their costs probably ARE higher than U-Haul's,

I agree.

and their
service is probably much better.

That's debatable. Maybe what I need is a different, better, non-uhaul
place to rent trailers from.

You complained about your
treatment at U-Haul, but then you say you don't want to
pay any more.

There are half a dozen uhaul dealers around. I'll probably try some of
the others. If I can find a private place, I'd rather work with them
though.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

brianlanning wrote:
lwhaley wrote:
I own a 10' enclosed trailer and have been very happy.

I would like to get an enclosed trailer. My wife keeps pointing out
that we wouldn't be able to haul a refridgerator in it though since the
top would likely be too low. I'd like to be able to put a car on it
also. And i really dislike the idea of having to bend over inside.
Maybe someone makes one with a 7' interior height? Maybe I need a
horse trailer.

Which enclosed trailers are you looking at?

All of the enclosed trailers I've ever seen, (Featherlite, Haulmark,
Wells Cargo, and the BORG cheapies) except U-Haul and snowmobile
trailers, would easily take a household fridge standing up, even the
small 5x8's.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
lwhaley wrote:
I own a 10' enclosed trailer and have been very happy.

I would like to get an enclosed trailer. My wife keeps pointing out
that we wouldn't be able to haul a refridgerator in it though since the
top would likely be too low. I'd like to be able to put a car on it
also. And i really dislike the idea of having to bend over inside.
Maybe someone makes one with a 7' interior height? Maybe I need a
horse trailer.

Or you can buy a frame (or kit) and make your own enclosure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
Which enclosed trailers are you looking at?

All of the enclosed trailers I've ever seen, (Featherlite, Haulmark,
Wells Cargo, and the BORG cheapies) except U-Haul and snowmobile
trailers, would easily take a household fridge standing up, even the
small 5x8's.

I admit I haven't done enough research and my only exposure to box
trailers so far has been the u-haul 6x12 and my assessment of trailers
I see driving down the road.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

"brianlanning" wrote in
ups.com:

B A R R Y wrote:
Which enclosed trailers are you looking at?

All of the enclosed trailers I've ever seen, (Featherlite, Haulmark,
Wells Cargo, and the BORG cheapies) except U-Haul and snowmobile
trailers, would easily take a household fridge standing up, even the
small 5x8's.

I admit I haven't done enough research and my only exposure to box
trailers so far has been the u-haul 6x12 and my assessment of trailers
I see driving down the road.

brian

You can get almost ANY configuration of trailer that makes sense, and rolls
down the road. Full custom, even. You just have to look.

If I had a place to park one, I'd have one, and sell one of the trucks.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
I would like to get an enclosed trailer. My wife keeps pointing out
that we wouldn't be able to haul a refridgerator in it though since the
top would likely be too low. I'd like to be able to put a car on it
also. And i really dislike the idea of having to bend over inside.
Maybe someone makes one with a 7' interior height? Maybe I need a
horse trailer.

Or you can buy a frame (or kit) and make your own enclosure.

Couldn't he just lie the refrigerator on its back? Of course, if he's talking
about an enclosed car carrier a la Nascar then he's talking some major bucks.
When he starts laying out that kind of cash, he can find one high enough to take
a standing refrigerator.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

brianlanning wrote:
lwhaley wrote:
I own a 10' enclosed trailer and have been very happy.

I would like to get an enclosed trailer. My wife keeps pointing out
that we wouldn't be able to haul a refridgerator in it though since the
top would likely be too low. I'd like to be able to put a car on it
also. And i really dislike the idea of having to bend over inside.
Maybe someone makes one with a 7' interior height? Maybe I need a
horse trailer.

My enclosed trailer is 6' high inside. I have to stoop ever so
slightly while inside. A ordinary house hold fridge is shorter than
that. Otherwise, You can buy or order a trailer of any height, believe
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"a standing refrigerator"

My understanding is that one may safely transport them laying flat -
provided, however, that you let them sit a day or so in the new location
before starting them up again so as to allow the fluids to settle back.

I've done this a couple of times, most recently last month without
difficulty. The staked washer dryer, however, lost fluids enoute (found them
on floor of the trailer) though it does not seem to haveimpaired the
operation over the five years since the move.

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 136...
"brianlanning" wrote in
ups.com:

B A R R Y wrote:
Which enclosed trailers are you looking at?

All of the enclosed trailers I've ever seen, (Featherlite, Haulmark,
Wells Cargo, and the BORG cheapies) except U-Haul and snowmobile
trailers, would easily take a household fridge standing up, even the
small 5x8's.

I admit I haven't done enough research and my only exposure to box
trailers so far has been the u-haul 6x12 and my assessment of trailers
I see driving down the road.

brian

You can get almost ANY configuration of trailer that makes sense, and
rolls
down the road. Full custom, even. You just have to look.

If I had a place to park one, I'd have one, and sell one of the trucks.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
brianlanning wrote:

And mentions quickly under his breath that he can't go
back and change the total now.

As to the U-Haul software, let me add my own example.

I needed a tow dolly, to move a Plymouth Voyager minivan from one spot
to another. My tow vehicle was my semi-old iron, '82 GMC half ton
pickup.

I tried making a reservation online. I was told that my truck was too
small to pull a minivan. Curious, I kept playing with the combinations
of tow vehicle and towed vehicle, just to see what was acceptable.

I didn't make the reservation online. Instead, I walked into my
neighborhood U-Haul dealer. Forewarned with knowledge, I told them the
one thing I knew would pass the computer system: I was using a 3/4 ton
pickup to pull a Geo Metro. With proper caution, we made the 80 mile
trip easily and safely.

On the other hand, there is such a thing as "too little vehicle". My
late next door neighbor once repossessed his co-signed truck from his
wayward son. He borrowed a 16' flatbed from the fellow across the
street, loaded the truck, and towed it home. He said he had a bit of a
scare when he came to a stop sign, and skidded right through the
intersection.

Lessee... 1971 long/wide Chevy truck, on a 16' trailer without trailer
brakes, being towed by a Toyota Corrolla.

Yeah. I can see the problem with braking. LOL

Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

For what it is worth, I used Penske to rent a 16' truck and tow dolly. They
didn't have a tow dolly and gave me the trailer at the same price. I did it
online - then did not "go through with it." They called me to offer help and
discounts. I went with them and had no complaints and enjoyed the discounts.
(One way 800 miles four days)
"Kevin Craig" wrote in message
In article .com,
brianlanning wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

brianlanning wrote:

lwhaley wrote:
I own a 10' enclosed trailer and have been very happy.

I would like to get an enclosed trailer. My wife keeps pointing out
that we wouldn't be able to haul a refridgerator in it though since the
top would likely be too low. I'd like to be able to put a car on it
also. And i really dislike the idea of having to bend over inside.
Maybe someone makes one with a 7' interior height? Maybe I need a
horse trailer.

brian

Why would you have a problem hauling a refrigerator? Just lay it on it's
back and it will be just fine. Allow a couple hours in the upright
position before applying power (let's oil flow back to the compressor).

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Last year my youngest son needed to move from LA back home. We decided that
a trailer was the best way to haul what he wanted to bring. When he got
prices from U-Haul they wanted 2/3 as much to rent a trailer for the trip as
we could buy a new one for. Since I had been considering buying a trailer
anyway, I ended up charging it to my credit card by phone and he pulled it
home. Registering it here raised some eyebrows. They had to ask why I bought
a trailer in California when I wanted it registered here only 4 days after I
bought it. A long explanation later it got registered.

--
Charley

brianlanning wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Registering it here raised some eyebrows."

Don't you just love those government employees? Always asking questions they
have no right to. Where you purchased the item is immaterial to the
registration process.

I once applied for a PO Box and was challenged to provide (as ID) either a
Driver's License, Voter's Registration or Social Security card. I reuse,
advising the postal employee that one could not be required (in this
country) to drive, vote or participate in the Social Security System in
order to receive U.S. Mail.

They relented and accepted a copy of a phone bill.

After 9/11 they really got a tight anal orifice - Bin Laden had the intended
effect on our society all right. Some guy in a cave effectively re-writes
our constitution with the help, of course, of a bunch of reactionary
congress persons knee jerking us out of privacy rights, habeas corpus and
our little Bics at the airport.

brianlanning wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I rather enjoyed the game with them. They were very puzzled as to why I
would go all the way to California to buy a trailer, and also how I managed
to get this trailer all the way to North Carolina to register it here only 4
days after it was purchased. After explaining that my son needed it to move
back, and he drove 12-16 hour days, they gave me the registration without
any further delay. They were a little upset though, that I cheated them out
of the sales tax, as I had paid it in California. When they tried to charge
me for it here I produced the invoice showing that it had been paid in
California and told them that they had no right to charge a second sales
tax. They backed down. Buraucracy......You can try to fight them and
raise your stress levels, but it's more fun to beat them at their own game.
I had fun with this one, even though I didn't win monetarily.

--
Charley

tuff trucks Uriahheep Woodworking 5 June 25th 06 12:36 PM
Anyone know lots about trucks / trailers? Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 17 August 30th 05 07:29 PM
Somewhat off topic: Ladder racks for trucks Scott Moore Metalworking 7 April 22nd 05 10:27 PM