Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley Charley is offline

Default Venting about trucks, trailers, and custmer service

I rather enjoyed the game with them. They were very puzzled as to why I
would go all the way to California to buy a trailer, and also how I managed
to get this trailer all the way to North Carolina to register it here only 4
days after it was purchased. After explaining that my son needed it to move
back, and he drove 12-16 hour days, they gave me the registration without
any further delay. They were a little upset though, that I cheated them out
of the sales tax, as I had paid it in California. When they tried to charge
me for it here I produced the invoice showing that it had been paid in
California and told them that they had no right to charge a second sales
tax. They backed down. Buraucracy......You can try to fight them and
raise your stress levels, but it's more fun to beat them at their own game.
I had fun with this one, even though I didn't win monetarily.

--
Charley

"resrfglc" wrote in message
"Registering it here raised some eyebrows."

Don't you just love those government employees? Always asking questions

they
have no right to. Where you purchased the item is immaterial to the
registration process.

I once applied for a PO Box and was challenged to provide (as ID) either a
Driver's License, Voter's Registration or Social Security card. I reuse,
advising the postal employee that one could not be required (in this
country) to drive, vote or participate in the Social Security System in
order to receive U.S. Mail.

They relented and accepted a copy of a phone bill.

After 9/11 they really got a tight anal orifice - Bin Laden had the

intended
effect on our society all right. Some guy in a cave effectively re-writes
our constitution with the help, of course, of a bunch of reactionary
congress persons knee jerking us out of privacy rights, habeas corpus and
our little Bics at the airport.

"Charley" wrote in message
Last year my youngest son needed to move from LA back home. We decided
that
a trailer was the best way to haul what he wanted to bring. When he got
prices from U-Haul they wanted 2/3 as much to rent a trailer for the

trip
as
we could buy a new one for. Since I had been considering buying a

trailer
anyway, I ended up charging it to my credit card by phone and he pulled

it
home. Registering it here raised some eyebrows. They had to ask why I
bought
a trailer in California when I wanted it registered here only 4 days

after
bought it. A long explanation later it got registered.

--
Charley

"resrfglc" wrote in message
For what it is worth, I used Penske to rent a 16' truck and tow dolly.

They
didn't have a tow dolly and gave me the trailer at the same price. I

did
it
online - then did not "go through with it." They called me to offer

help
and
discounts. I went with them and had no complaints and enjoyed the

discounts.
(One way 800 miles four days)
"Kevin Craig" wrote in message
In article .com,
brianlanning wrote:

And mentions quickly under his breath that he can't go
back and change the total now.

As to the U-Haul software, let me add my own example.

I needed a tow dolly, to move a Plymouth Voyager minivan from one

spot
to another. My tow vehicle was my semi-old iron, '82 GMC half ton
pickup.

I tried making a reservation online. I was told that my truck was too
small to pull a minivan. Curious, I kept playing with the

combinations
of tow vehicle and towed vehicle, just to see what was acceptable.

I didn't make the reservation online. Instead, I walked into my
neighborhood U-Haul dealer. Forewarned with knowledge, I told them

the
one thing I knew would pass the computer system: I was using a 3/4

ton
pickup to pull a Geo Metro. With proper caution, we made the 80 mile
trip easily and safely.

On the other hand, there is such a thing as "too little vehicle". My
late next door neighbor once repossessed his co-signed truck from his
wayward son. He borrowed a 16' flatbed from the fellow across the
street, loaded the truck, and towed it home. He said he had a bit of

scare when he came to a stop sign, and skidded right through the
intersection.

Lessee... 1971 long/wide Chevy truck, on a 16' trailer without

trailer
brakes, being towed by a Toyota Corrolla.

Yeah. I can see the problem with braking. LOL

Kevin