Posted to rec.woodworking

Default advice on new vehicle

At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and daily
use..
Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit..
I'm toying with buying something else... Gas mileage is important. As much
as I like small pickups and mini vans well ouch yuck, they can actually
load more inside than a small pickup. A friend has a Honda Odyssey.. loads a
lot..
So I was just curious what others are using for there business and daily use
vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dwolf" wrote in message
At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and
daily use..
Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit..
I'm toying with buying something else... Gas mileage is important. As much
as I like small pickups and mini vans well ouch yuck, they can actually
load more inside than a small pickup. A friend has a Honda Odyssey.. loads
a lot..
So I was just curious what others are using for there business and daily
use vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

There is no replacement for a pick-up.
I love my Chevrolet CCDually 4x6 Diesel.

Dave
Afterall, I am a Chevrolet and Honda Dealer so eitherway - I like your
choices.

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:
At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and daily
use..
Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit..
I'm toying with buying something else... Gas mileage is important. As much
as I like small pickups and mini vans well ouch yuck, they can actually
load more inside than a small pickup. A friend has a Honda Odyssey.. loads a
lot..
So I was just curious what others are using for there business and daily use
vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

What if you need sheet goods? Are you going to let it hang out the
back?

I have a 4WD Sierra with the small V8 and I'm getting about 17mpg as a
daily driver.
http://www.gmc.com/sierra/1500/specsFuel.jsp

Stick with a pickup, you'll always have plenty of friends.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in
oups.com:

dwolf wrote:
At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and
daily use..
Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit..
I'm toying with buying something else... Gas mileage is important. As
much as I like small pickups and mini vans well ouch yuck, they can
actually load more inside than a small pickup. A friend has a Honda
Odyssey.. loads a lot..
So I was just curious what others are using for there business and
daily use vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

What if you need sheet goods? Are you going to let it hang out the
back?

I have a 4WD Sierra with the small V8 and I'm getting about 17mpg as a
daily driver.
http://www.gmc.com/sierra/1500/specsFuel.jsp

Stick with a pickup, you'll always have plenty of friends.

I like my 1999 Sierra, 2wd 3 door, with the small V8. 18-20 mpg with a
shell over the back. It's my third or fourth, depending on how one
counts...

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

I used to have a Honda Civic 83. When I needed sheets of ply I rented
a truck for the weekend. Now I have a new Tundra, not good on gas
mileage but I drive very little.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:
At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and daily
use..

So I was just curious what others are using for there business and daily use
vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

I've got a '92 Taurus station wagon.. the Least Stolen Car In America (tm).
Sheet goods go up on the roof; everything else goes inside. With the back seat
folded down I can get an amazing amount of crap inside. It still looks and runs
pretty well... my dad gave it to me for a Lowesmobile.

29 MPG. I doubt there's a van or pickup on the planet that can match that.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:

So I was just curious what others are using for there business and daily use
vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

My father is a contractor and he drives an old toyota cargo minivan.
It's not quite wide enough for sheet goods on the floor, but it bulges
out a bit so he built a raised platform level with the wider area.
There is storage under the platform.

He's in vancouver where it rains a lot, so it's nice to have it fully
enclosed.

I drive a Matrix, which is fine for everything but sheet goods (will
take 8' lumber with the hatch closed).

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
I've got a '92 Taurus station wagon.. the Least Stolen Car In America

(tm).
snip
29 MPG. I doubt there's a van or pickup on the planet that can match
that.

They say you can tell alot about a person by the car/truck they drive.
;~}

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:

At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work

and daily
use..

So I was just curious what others are using for there business and

daily use
vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

A cut below where you are at right now, a Toyota Tacoma, 4 Cyl, 5 Spd
stick with a lockable flat top cover over the bed and a liner from
SnugTop.

Average 25 MPG minimum in SoCal traffic.

Have 110,000 miles on it.

A tuneup and front brakes at 90,000, a battery and some rubber
including wiper blades, along the way.

Other than oil and filters, that's been it.

Fully expect another 250,000 miles before end of life.

Sheet goods stick out the back, that's why red flags and bungee cords
exist.

It was interesting carrying 16 ft, 2x4s from the lumber yard to the
boat yard, but all went well.

Since I'm mostly by myself, serves my needs well.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa wrote:
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
I've got a '92 Taurus station wagon.. the Least Stolen Car In America

(tm).
snip
29 MPG. I doubt there's a van or pickup on the planet that can match
that.

They say you can tell alot about a person by the car/truck they drive.

Hey, I only drive it to and from the Borg or if it's raining. The rest of the
time I drive my 2000 Taurus sedan.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:
At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and
daily use..
Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit..
I'm toying with buying something else... Gas mileage is important. As
much as I like small pickups and mini vans well ouch yuck, they can
actually load more inside than a small pickup. A friend has a Honda
Odyssey.. loads a lot..
So I was just curious what others are using for there business and
daily use vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

I have an '86 Nissan Std cab p/u. 4 cyl, 5 spd, about 150K on it now. It's
fairly cheap to maintain, carries odd/oversize stuff well and it's paid for.
Insurance is cheap since it'smy 2nd vehicle (other is a Jeep Cherokee). It
was my daily driver until a few years ago when I bought the Jeep. I don't
know what I'd do without it..

Posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:
At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and daily
use..
Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit..
I'm toying with buying something else... Gas mileage is important. As much
as I like small pickups and mini vans well ouch yuck, they can actually
load more inside than a small pickup. A friend has a Honda Odyssey.. loads a
lot..
So I was just curious what others are using for there business and daily use
vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

G'day all,
I drive a Toyota Hilux 4 cyl 1988 model ute. Has an 8' x 6' x 1'
Aluminium tray. Bought it about 6 years ago for $2000.00. It was fitted
for LPG. Don't know what mileage it gets but it's been a pearler of a
vehicle. Not flash but it keeps on going and is bloody cheap to run. The
only thing I have had done to it is had the clutch plate and thrust
bearing replaced about 3 years ago. Currently needs a gasket replaced on
the carby, so one day when I have nothing better to do I'll get around
to that.

Regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Because "dwolf" could, he/she/it opin'd:

At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and daily
use..
Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit..
I'm toying with buying something else... Gas mileage is important. As much
as I like small pickups and mini vans well ouch yuck, they can actually
load more inside than a small pickup. A friend has a Honda Odyssey.. loads a
lot..
So I was just curious what others are using for there business and daily use
vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

Scion xB with a Yakima rackima on the roof.

I can fit a LOT of stuff inside with the back seats down, and what
doesn't will go on the rack.

And I REALLY like 35 MPG for my daily commute (that is, when I'm not
riding a motorcycle).

-Don (hip to be square in Rochester, MN)
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, Aug 24, 2006, 10:56am (dwolf) doth need
someone to tell him what to do:
At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and
daily use..
Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit.. I'm toying with buying
something else.. snip

No prob.

If you want luxury, go with something like this.
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/390.jpg

If you want economy, go with something like this.
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/CubanSUV.jpg

*If you're just a really cheap *******, this is your choice.
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/Man_of_the_Year.jpg

But, if you're a "real" man, this is it.
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/Manoftheyear2.jpg

JOAT
Justice was invented by the innocent.
Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "dwolf" wrote:
At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and daily
use..
Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit..
I'm toying with buying something else... Gas mileage is important. As much
as I like small pickups and mini vans well ouch yuck, they can actually
load more inside than a small pickup. A friend has a Honda Odyssey.. loads a
lot..
So I was just curious what others are using for there business and daily use
vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

Just make sure you get a vehicle that's big enough for your needs -- you use
less gas making one trip in a truck that gets 16mpg than you do making two
trips in something that gets 25mpg. Not to mention the value of your time for
those trips...

I'm using a Chevy Suburban. It's good for about 16mpg in combined city/highway
driving. And I rarely have to make two trips. It holds a *lot* of stuff. Just
used it yesterday to haul #1 son off to college for the first time. Had SWMBO
& me up front, son in back, other half of the back seat folded down, and all
his stuff in the cargo area with room to spare. In a smaller truck like an
S-10, it would have been two trips -- with the three of us crammed into one
too-small bench seat up front.

I like my Burb. Even if I cry every time I fill the gas tank.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:26:48 -0500, Patriarch wrote:

"RayV" wrote in
roups.com:

dwolf wrote:
[...]

Second this! I have (well son #2 now has) a 99 Sierra Classic with the same set up. 135k on it
now. Cherub #2 commutes to school in it (Houston to NC). Still a great truck. I replaced it with
another GMC, but crew cab. Rides like a fancy car, but works like a truck. I like this even better
than the 99 (much improved a/c system) if that is possible. Chevy/GMC man since I bought a 72
strait six, 3 on the column with 2x40 a/c (2 windows, 40mph) in 80. I have no idea how I would
function without a truck. My current one may be my last.

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

Get a real truck. I just bought a Dodge '06 QuadCab 2500 4x4 with the
Cummins and an auto tranny.

I love it. 610 ft. lbs. torque. 325 hp. The mileage doesn't level out
until it has about 30k miles on it. They say the engine will outlast the
power train components by about 3:1.

Costs about $100 to gas it up, but it will haul plenty.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dwolf" wrote in message
At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and
daily use..

snip

you got some good comments and some goofy comments. I'll add to the goofy.
My retirement (30 years in the U.S. Navy) gift is a '06 Mercedes SLK350.
Sucks for hauling sheetgoods, rough lumber, or a 1 pound box of
woodscrews... but it is pretty and I deserve it. I also recommend it, just
for fun.
I need a bumper sticker that says" my other cars are a 2003 Mazda Protege
and a 1990 Mitsubishi MightyMax"
http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=SLK350
Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
dwolf wrote:
[...]

FYI, when my wife got a new car we kept her old '97 Dodge Grand Caravan
for picking up lumber and sheet goods (and tailgating). The inside
dimensions are exactly 4' between the rear wheel wells and 8' from the
back of the front seats to the inside of the back door (with the other
seats out--fairly easy). I have picked up 10 sheets of 3/4" ply with
the door closed. Pretty sweet.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:
At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and daily
use..
Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit..
I'm toying with buying something else... Gas mileage is important. As much
as I like small pickups and mini vans well ouch yuck, they can actually
load more inside than a small pickup. A friend has a Honda Odyssey.. loads a
lot..
So I was just curious what others are using for there business and daily use
vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

I have a Mini Cooper S, ~ 30MPG and a ton of fun. I can fit 8' studs
in it. Can't do a 4x8, but never really need to, and if I do I have it
delivered. Sounds like you use your pickup for a work truck, so you
probably need it. But the funny thing is how many people I know that
drive these 12-18 MPG pickup trucks that probably REALLY need them 3-4
times a year. Can't tell you how many I ask "when was the last time
you carried something I couldn't" that give me a blank look. Sort of a
pet peeve of mine, drives me nuts commuting to work everyday surrounded
buy these monsters, always empty, and most are going to office jobs.
In fact I'm starting to see more and more women driving them. And why
is it the bigger the truck, the shorter the driver?

But enough of my rant...;+}

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
Scion xB with a Yakima rackima on the roof.

I can fit a LOT of stuff inside with the back seats down, and what
doesn't will go on the rack.

And I REALLY like 35 MPG for my daily commute (that is, when I'm not
riding a motorcycle).

I can't get myself to buy one but it seems to be one of the most practical
and economical vehicles on the market today. Sort of a cute ugly, unlike
the Element that is just plain ugly, ugly. The xC is sharp looking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I can't get myself to buy one but it seems to be one of the most

practical
and economical vehicles on the market today. Sort of a cute ugly,

unlike
the Element that is just plain ugly, ugly. The xC is sharp looking.

That's not UGLY, that's BFU.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:17:52 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
Scion xB with a Yakima rackima on the roof.

I can fit a LOT of stuff inside with the back seats down, and what
doesn't will go on the rack.

And I REALLY like 35 MPG for my daily commute (that is, when I'm not
riding a motorcycle).

I can't get myself to buy one but it seems to be one of the most practical
and economical vehicles on the market today. Sort of a cute ugly, unlike
the Element that is just plain ugly, ugly. The xC is sharp looking.

I think the Element is ugly too, plus with all the plastic inside it
feels cheap. But it has its purposes--very large cargo space and it
looks like it can be hosed down inside. I bought my Toyota Tundra
because of its reliability and expected repair record, but I do think
it is not the best-looking truck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dwolf" wrote in message
At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and
daily use..
Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit..
I'm toying with buying something else... Gas mileage is important. As much
as I like small pickups and mini vans well ouch yuck, they can actually
load more inside than a small pickup. A friend has a Honda Odyssey.. loads
a lot..
So I was just curious what others are using for there business and daily
use vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

Toyota Highlander Hybrid...and a $800 costco trailer

Great mileage, and lots of power. 30+ mpg on a Canadian gallon (about 27 mpg
us)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" writes:

dwolf wrote:
[...]

My ranger gets 24MPG. Not too shabby. No A/C, No Power windows, no
fancy leather seats, but it hauls just fine; and a perfect commuter
vehicle.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:4hGHg.18$p23.5@trnddc04:

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
Scion xB with a Yakima rackima on the roof.

I can fit a LOT of stuff inside with the back seats down, and what
doesn't will go on the rack.

And I REALLY like 35 MPG for my daily commute (that is, when I'm not
riding a motorcycle).

I can't get myself to buy one but it seems to be one of the most
practical and economical vehicles on the market today. Sort of a
cute ugly, unlike the Element that is just plain ugly, ugly. The xC
is sharp looking.

The variance of opinion on the Scion vs. the Element is pretty
interesting. Who likes what doesn't line up with what I would expect at
all.

And my youngest owns and loves an Element. His mother thinks it's an
ugly vehicle, though.

Patriarch,
not making his son's car payments...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Because "Edwin Pawlowski" could, he/she/it opin'd:

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
Scion xB with a Yakima rackima on the roof.

I can fit a LOT of stuff inside with the back seats down, and what
doesn't will go on the rack.

And I REALLY like 35 MPG for my daily commute (that is, when I'm not
riding a motorcycle).

I can't get myself to buy one but it seems to be one of the most practical
and economical vehicles on the market today. Sort of a cute ugly, unlike
the Element that is just plain ugly, ugly. The xC is sharp looking.

Yeah; I remember my reaction when I first saw one, "What the heck is
THAT??"

Promise me two things: Don't go sit in one and notice all the ROOM
inside. And don't go test drive one and see how nicely it drives.

Don't blame ME if you wind up buying one after doing the above. Tha's
why I'm driving mine!

-D
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman
Posted to rec.woodworking

Because Lew Hodgett could, he/she/it
opin'd:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I can't get myself to buy one but it seems to be one of the most

practical
and economical vehicles on the market today. Sort of a cute ugly,

unlike
the Element that is just plain ugly, ugly. The xC is sharp looking.

That's not UGLY, that's BFU.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/ BFU:

BFU Bau Furniersperrholz
BFU Burst Forming Units
BFU Biologisk Fagudvalg
BFU Body Fly University
BFU Brussels Free Universities
BFU Beijing Forestry University
BFU Biologisk Fagutvalg
BFU Blue Fluorescent
BFU Block Floating Units
BFU Brush Fire Unit
BFU Bundesstelle Fur
BFU Blindingly Fast Update
BFU Bicycle Facilities Unit
BFU Basic Functional Units
BFU Benjamin Franklin University
BFU Blue Forming Unit
BFU Brussels Free University
BFU Bit Field Units

Hmmmmm . . . none of it makes any sense.

Oh well, it's still an FLC (FINE Little Car)!

-D
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski"
snip
Sort of a cute ugly, unlike the Element that is just plain ugly, ugly.

Hey! I sell them! Although some think the look is a touch
nconventional - The people that have them, love them, and as far as I'm
concerned, God love 'em!

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Don Fearn" wrote in message

Promise me two things: Don't go sit in one and notice all the ROOM
inside. And don't go test drive one and see how nicely it drives.

Don't blame ME if you wind up buying one after doing the above. Tha's
why I'm driving mine!

OK, I promise. I'm not sure I could live with myself if I owned a practical,
sensible vehicle. If I did buy one, it would have to be yellow. Seems
like a lot of small businesses buy them because they make such a good
billboard with the flat sides.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Been driving a 95 GMC Safari small van, Vortech V-6......it tolled over
a quarter million miles until it finally started showing signs of its
age, and breaking down........about 24 mpg with the overdrive trans,
enuff guts to pull a loaded utility trailer full of lumber....I would
buy another one of these again in a heart beat.

You can slide in 4' x 8' sheet goods with a lil wiggling around, and if
you stack your lumber between the 2 front seats, if memory serves you
can get 10'+ lumber inside with the doors closed.

My other pick of the litter is the 4 cylinder Isuzu pick up truck. We
had one of those, and unfortunately had to get rid of it when a spinal
injury prevented the wife from driving a standard trans anymore. Well,
the fella that bought it from us for $1200 has driven it steadily with
no problems other than lifter seals and general maintanance since '93,
he now has it up for sale for $1200 ( and will no doubt get it) this
lil truck has over a half million miles on it!
My 2 cents
Steve