Peter Wells

Default Shop vac for dust collection

I have a few tools (table saw, radial arm saw, sander, grinder) that I use
probably a few times a month that are fitted with connections for dust
collector. I use them in the garage where a lot of other stuff is stored.
So after using them there is always dust all over the place. To what extent
would a dust collector keep the garage clean? Do they just get the big bits
so you don't need to sweep but still leave dust everywhere? Given that I
don't have the space to permenantly connect a dust collection system I'm
wondering if I wouldn't be as well off buying a strong shop vac and
connecting as needed.

All advice appreciated.

Peter

David

Peter Wells wrote:

I have a few tools (table saw, radial arm saw, sander, grinder) that I use
probably a few times a month that are fitted with connections for dust
collector. I use them in the garage where a lot of other stuff is stored.
So after using them there is always dust all over the place. To what extent
would a dust collector keep the garage clean? Do they just get the big bits
so you don't need to sweep but still leave dust everywhere? Given that I
don't have the space to permenantly connect a dust collection system I'm
wondering if I wouldn't be as well off buying a strong shop vac and
connecting as needed.

All advice appreciated.

Peter

DC collects SOME of the dust and wood chips, but there will still be
some airborne dust. For that, you can install an air filtration unit.
They are quiet and some have remote controls. mount in a high, central
location. I don't have a severe enough problem with dust in my shop so
I haven't purchased the filter, but I've looked at them and read about
their usage. I think if you are concerned about the dust laying around,
you should realize that you are also BREATHING it in, so for your
health, you might want to seriously consider getting one. Delta and Jet
both make them. There is a small triangular shaped one with a light
under it, available at Lowes. I doubt it is a high volume unit,
however--it's pretty small.

Dave
Andy

I tried the same thing - small, weekend shop on a budget - and I've
found that I shop vac (with the optional HEPA filter) works fairly well
for sucking up dust and chips. I've used it connected directly to my
home-made router table, bandsaw, and RO sander. It is definitely loud,
even with the optional 'muffler', so with that and your power tools,
you'll definitely need hearing protection (Unless you drop $300 for the
Fein shop-vac).
I've found that my basement shop stays fairly free of dust. When
possible, I also have a box fan that I point out the window or attach a
Filtrete furnace filter to. This isn't as efficient as a true shop air
filter, of course, but I usually use a face-mask filter too, and the
fan + filter is about $190 cheaper than a true air cleaner. Good
temporary fix, until I can start spending more time in the shop.
Hope this helps,
Andy

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

David,

Would you have any recommendations for an air filtration system? My
workshop will be rather small (about 13' x 18'), but large enough to
warrant addressing the dust problem.

I too will have a DC system of some sort, but I was in fact concerned
about the dust and particles that will ultimately fill the environment.
I'll wear a dust mask when sawing, but I'd rather not have to keep it on
after I'm done sawing. The fine particles float around for quite some time.

Jack

David wrote:
Peter Wells wrote:

[...]

David

David wrote:

Peter Wells wrote:

[...]

Jack, no, I'm sorry, I'm not up on the merits of the various units
currently available. I know what you mean about wanting to rip off the
mask when it seems the worst of the dust has settled. Problem with
removing a mask just moments after shutting off the saw is that you'll
still be breathing in the fine dust, which is much worse than the large
visible particles. The filtration units should turn over "x" amount of
air per hour to be considered effective. It takes a finite amount of
time to clean the air to a healthful level, so I wouldn't count on a
filter to obviate then need to wear a mask. Capturing the offending
dust at its source should be a high priority, as once it's airborne, it
takes time to remove it. Meanwhile, maskless, you are breathing in tiny
particles which can lodge in the lungs. As uncomfortable as it may be,
I say keep your mask on. I use the disposable N95 type masks unless
spraying. then I wear an organic vapors respirator.

Dave

WillR

Andy wrote:
[...]

=20

I have done much the same as you -- I have a HEPA filter for the shop=20
vac, but I also use the .1 Micron Bags -- for drywall and cement dust.

Recently I added the small chip separator from busy bee tools. $30 CDN...=

I will be adding an air filter soon -- HEPA style.

For face masks, use the N95 NIOSH filter with the port on the front if=20
you have glasses or face mask -- it stays cooler and less fogging.

Face mask is now standard equipment in the shop. Breathing is a lot=20
easier...

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Good point. Breathing in a little dust won't hurt you, but over time it
really adds up. Plus, it's those micro-fine particles that do the most
damage to your internals. Sometimes I wonder how my father lived as
long as he did! He took no precautions at all.

Then again, his health in his last 10-15 years was pretty dismal.

I do worry about my safety in the workshop. I suppose I should have
plenty of dust masks available and easily assessible so that I never
have an excuse not to wear one.

Jack

David wrote:

Peter Wells wrote:

[...]

No

I use both. DC connected to table saw, router table, jointer and other high
dust volume, stationary, tools. I use the shop vac with my ROS, belt sander
and other portable tools. What I would like to do some day is have a very
long small hose that I can drag around the shop as necessary to use with the
portable tools. I cant imagine any shop vac doing what my DC does.

I have a Griz http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G1029Z

"Peter Wells" wrote in message
.. .
I have a few tools (table saw, radial arm saw, sander, grinder) that I use
probably a few times a month that are fitted with connections for dust
collector. I use them in the garage where a lot of other stuff is stored.
So after using them there is always dust all over the place. To what
extent
would a dust collector keep the garage clean? Do they just get the big
bits
so you don't need to sweep but still leave dust everywhere? Given that I
don't have the space to permenantly connect a dust collection system I'm
wondering if I wouldn't be as well off buying a strong shop vac and
connecting as needed.

All advice appreciated.

Peter

Steve Peterson

Before we moved my basement served dual purposes: I called it my workshop
but my wife called it the laundry room. Needless to say, I needed to remove
as much dust as I could. I built an air cleaner - buy the blower from
Grainger, mount it in a 1'x2' box with frames to install a couple furnace
filters. I put a bag filter at the output. In particular, the first filter
collected a lot. Total cost was about $150, or about $100 less than the
commercial units, and it worked great.

Steve

"Peter Wells" wrote in message
.. .
I have a few tools (table saw, radial arm saw, sander, grinder) that I use
probably a few times a month that are fitted with connections for dust
collector. I use them in the garage where a lot of other stuff is stored.
So after using them there is always dust all over the place. To what
extent
would a dust collector keep the garage clean? Do they just get the big
bits
so you don't need to sweep but still leave dust everywhere? Given that I
don't have the space to permenantly connect a dust collection system I'm
wondering if I wouldn't be as well off buying a strong shop vac and
connecting as needed.

All advice appreciated.

Peter

Bob G.

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:05:31 GMT, "Peter Wells"
wrote:

I have a few tools (table saw, radial arm saw, sander, grinder) that I use
probably a few times a month that are fitted with connections for dust
collector. I use them in the garage where a lot of other stuff is stored.
So after using them there is always dust all over the place. To what extent
would a dust collector keep the garage clean? Do they just get the big bits
so you don't need to sweep but still leave dust everywhere? Given that I
don't have the space to permenantly connect a dust collection system I'm
wondering if I wouldn't be as well off buying a strong shop vac and
connecting as needed.

All advice appreciated.

Peter

===========================
Depends on what you actually mean by " keeping the garage clean"....

I sure would be hooking up a Shop Vac if for no other reason then to
reduce the amount of dust....

I have (AND USE) both 1 and a 2 Hp Dust Collectors in my
shop...(24x24) ...plus I have (AND USE) two Delta Air Filters in the
shop... and I enclosed my shop vac (because of noise) in a plywood
cabinet and installed my own central vac system for the shop...

Even doing this I still have... dust ! Not nearly as much as I would
have without using the filters and Dust Collectors BUT my shop is 90
percent cleaner then it would be...

Dust Collectors work by sucking a lot of air at a relitevely low speed
and a Shop Vac works by sucking a lot less air but at a much higher
speed... That is important to understand... Dust collertors collect
dust...the small stuff (air borne etc) a heck of a lot better then any
Shop vac...but the shop vac will suck up the chips better then a Dust
Collector...

I Honestly like working in a clean shop (relitevily) ..its just more
relaxing and enjoyable... Thats why I have DC's Filters etc...I DO NOT
have them to protect my health... but I realize that I do get some
health benifits with my system...that is just a plus since I am after
a clean shop..

In your Garage I would hook the tools up to a Shop Vac...(especially
the sander)...I would also NOT own a BLACK car and park it in the
garage ...

Bob G

Peter Wells wrote:
I have a few tools (table saw, radial arm saw, sander, grinder) that I use
probably a few times a month that are fitted with connections for dust
collector. I use them in the garage where a lot of other stuff is stored.
So after using them there is always dust all over the place. To what extent
would a dust collector keep the garage clean? Do they just get the big bits
so you don't need to sweep but still leave dust everywhere? Given that I
don't have the space to permenantly connect a dust collection system I'm
wondering if I wouldn't be as well off buying a strong shop vac and
connecting as needed.

All advice appreciated.

Peter

I was using a large shop vac which did a very good job catching the
easily visible stuff from the table saw, RAS, and router table, but
left a cloud of dust around each machine which eventually settled
everywhere. The larger space of "negative air pressure" created by my
new 1 1/2 HP DC seems to have all but eliminated the cloud.

For occasional use, the shop vace would be okay IMHO.

bridger

consider your budget. there's a breaking point at around $200. below
that, shop vacs are loud enough to drive you nuts, and dust collectors
are pretty wimpy.

above $200 you can start finding quiet shop vacs (but they are still
not good for a lot of volume) and you get into the range of decent dust
collectors.

bottom line is, you're really going to want to have both.

nospambob

A plumber also installs furnaces and when I asked for a 2 speed
squirrel cage from one pulled out they said O.K. and 3 weeks later
called for me to pick it up. Gratis. Paid $8.00 for switch from
motor shop.

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:09:26 GMT, "Steve Peterson"
wrote:

I built an air cleaner - buy the blower from Grainger, mount it in a 1'x2' box with frames to install a couple furnace
filters.

CaptMike

Peter Wells wrote:
I have a few tools (table saw, radial arm saw, sander, grinder) that I use
probably a few times a month that are fitted with connections for dust
collector. I use them in the garage where a lot of other stuff is stored.
So after using them there is always dust all over the place. To what extent
would a dust collector keep the garage clean? Do they just get the big bits
so you don't need to sweep but still leave dust everywhere? Given that I
don't have the space to permenantly connect a dust collection system I'm
wondering if I wouldn't be as well off buying a strong shop vac and
connecting as needed.

All advice appreciated.

Peter

I have a dedicated Jet DC unit, or rather one on wheels with a flex hose
connected to my TS. It's 1½ HP and does a nice job for me. I also have
a Jet Gold Air Filtration unit ceiling hung right over my TS. I've
noticed far less dust around the shop on shelves and cans and stuff
since I started using them. I don't use a mask unless I'm cutting tons
of stuff... I just flip on the switches and start cutting/working. I
shut the DC off when I don't cut... as it is noisy. Not as noisy as a
shop-vac though, and the AF has a remote and timer so I can set it for X
hours and it'll shut down automatically when the time is up.

A shop vac is a marginal DC machine but it's all about budget. You can
build a fairly effective AF with an old AC/Furnace squirrel cage fan,
some plywood, and a couple of filters. Definitely worth looking in to.

Peter Wells

Thanks to all those who replied, you've got me thinking about making
something. One of those kids outdoor inflatable castle blowers and some
sort of separator,.

Peter