Bob G.

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:05:31 GMT, "Peter Wells"
wrote:

I have a few tools (table saw, radial arm saw, sander, grinder) that I use
probably a few times a month that are fitted with connections for dust
collector. I use them in the garage where a lot of other stuff is stored.
So after using them there is always dust all over the place. To what extent
would a dust collector keep the garage clean? Do they just get the big bits
so you don't need to sweep but still leave dust everywhere? Given that I
don't have the space to permenantly connect a dust collection system I'm
wondering if I wouldn't be as well off buying a strong shop vac and
connecting as needed.

All advice appreciated.

Peter

===========================
Depends on what you actually mean by " keeping the garage clean"....

I sure would be hooking up a Shop Vac if for no other reason then to
reduce the amount of dust....

I have (AND USE) both 1 and a 2 Hp Dust Collectors in my
shop...(24x24) ...plus I have (AND USE) two Delta Air Filters in the
shop... and I enclosed my shop vac (because of noise) in a plywood
cabinet and installed my own central vac system for the shop...

Even doing this I still have... dust ! Not nearly as much as I would
have without using the filters and Dust Collectors BUT my shop is 90
percent cleaner then it would be...

Dust Collectors work by sucking a lot of air at a relitevely low speed
and a Shop Vac works by sucking a lot less air but at a much higher
speed... That is important to understand... Dust collertors collect
dust...the small stuff (air borne etc) a heck of a lot better then any
Shop vac...but the shop vac will suck up the chips better then a Dust
Collector...

I Honestly like working in a clean shop (relitevily) ..its just more
relaxing and enjoyable... Thats why I have DC's Filters etc...I DO NOT
have them to protect my health... but I realize that I do get some
health benifits with my system...that is just a plus since I am after
a clean shop..

In your Garage I would hook the tools up to a Shop Vac...(especially
the sander)...I would also NOT own a BLACK car and park it in the
garage ...

Bob G