Peter Wells wrote:
I have a few tools (table saw, radial arm saw, sander, grinder) that I use
probably a few times a month that are fitted with connections for dust
collector. I use them in the garage where a lot of other stuff is stored.
So after using them there is always dust all over the place. To what extent
would a dust collector keep the garage clean? Do they just get the big bits
so you don't need to sweep but still leave dust everywhere? Given that I
don't have the space to permenantly connect a dust collection system I'm
wondering if I wouldn't be as well off buying a strong shop vac and
connecting as needed.

All advice appreciated.

Peter

I was using a large shop vac which did a very good job catching the
easily visible stuff from the table saw, RAS, and router table, but
left a cloud of dust around each machine which eventually settled
everywhere. The larger space of "negative air pressure" created by my
new 1 1/2 HP DC seems to have all but eliminated the cloud.

For occasional use, the shop vace would be okay IMHO.