Never Enough Money

Default A Trick for long tapers on a table saw?

Problem:
Need a 4 foot board 3.5 inches wide on one end and 3' 5/16'ths on the
other. I have a taper jig I bought from Delta (I think) but it's not
big enough.

Questions:
Do I not know how to use the taper jig I have?
Do I have to build my own? If so, where can I find plans? Or should I
make a larger model of the one I bought?

Solution(s):
Hopefully the responders of this post will provide.....

CW

Only one? Double sided tape a straightedge (board) to the top of the board
to be tapered. Tape it at the angle you need. Attach an L shaped bracket
(couple of boards nailed together at a right angle) to your tablesaw fence
high enough so the workpiece slides under it but the bracket bares on the
straitedge. Set fence and run through saw. Alternatively, tape the
straightedge as before and use it for a router guide to cut your board.

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Problem:
Need a 4 foot board 3.5 inches wide on one end and 3' 5/16'ths on the
other. I have a taper jig I bought from Delta (I think) but it's not
big enough.

Questions:
Do I not know how to use the taper jig I have?
Do I have to build my own? If so, where can I find plans? Or should I
make a larger model of the one I bought?

Solution(s):
Hopefully the responders of this post will provide.....

Mike

On 30 May 2005 19:39:12 -0700, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

Need a 4 foot board 3.5 inches wide on one end and 3' 5/16'ths on the
other. I have a taper jig I bought from Delta (I think) but it's not
big enough.

If you need to use a table saw CW's method will work fine.
You could also accomplish this easily with a joiner.

Mike O.
Lew Hodgett

Never Enough Money wrote:
Problem:
Need a 4 foot board 3.5 inches wide on one end and 3' 5/16'ths on the
other. I have a taper jig I bought from Delta (I think) but it's not
big enough.

Time for a router with say a 1/2"-3/4" straight bit, a straight edge and
a couple of C-Clamps.

Forget the table saw, you will not get the needed accuracy IMHO.

Lew

Doug Miller

In article .com, "Never Enough Money" wrote:
Problem:
Need a 4 foot board 3.5 inches wide on one end and 3' 5/16'ths on the
other. I have a taper jig I bought from Delta (I think) but it's not
big enough.

This is a job for a bandsaw and hand plane.

--
Regards,

B a r r y

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, "Never Enough Money" wrote:

Problem:
Need a 4 foot board 3.5 inches wide on one end and 3' 5/16'ths on the
other. I have a taper jig I bought from Delta (I think) but it's not
big enough.

This is a job for a bandsaw and hand plane.

Or a task-specific taper sled:

http://www.bburke.com/wood/images/Skinnysledtaper1.jpg

If the blocks are screwed down, not glued to the sled, it can be easily
rearranged for different tapers,

Barry
Lawrence Wasserman

In article .com,
Never Enough Money wrote:
Problem:
Need a 4 foot board 3.5 inches wide on one end and 3' 5/16'ths on the
other. I have a taper jig I bought from Delta (I think) but it's not
big enough.

Questions:
Do I not know how to use the taper jig I have?
Do I have to build my own? If so, where can I find plans? Or should I
make a larger model of the one I bought?

Solution(s):
Hopefully the responders of this post will provide.....

Get, say, a 1X6 about 4 1/2 feet long, set your fence to its width.
Attach the board to be tapered to the 1X6 using brads, hot glude,
capet tape, or some type of purpose-made hold down, such that the cut
line aligns with the left edge of 1X6. Then push the whole thing
through the saw against the fence.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Never Enough Money

Why didn't I think of that? (No need to answer that.)

Never Enough Money

How?

Never Enough Money

Hmmm. Why would this method be less accurate than CW's method?

Never Enough Money

Seems like a lot more work than CW's method.....
Of course, I could use a bandsaw and a jointer.....

Never Enough Money

That looks like what I'm after....picture is worth a 1000 words....

One could even calibrate it for different tapers.

Mike

On 31 May 2005 17:31:44 -0700, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

How?

If you need 3 1/2" it is easiest if you start with ripping a piece
3 9/16. Set your joiner to 1/16. Put a mark on the end you want to
be 3 5/16. Theoretically you will need to make 4 passes to take off
the 4/16.
Place your board on the joiner with about 16" of the end you want to
be narrow on the rear table and make a pass. Move the board to about
half way and make another pass. Move the board where almost all of it
is on the rear table but an inch or so is still on the front table and
make another pass. Now for the final pass run the entire length of
the piece. That should do it.

Use the mark for reference as you go to be sure your joiner depth is
okay for four passes. Use normal joiner use techniques and pay
attention to grain direction.
You can do this starting with a 3 1/2" piece (in 3 passes) but your
last run will have to be the one with the piece barely sitting on the
front table. This will cause you to have an inch or so at that end
that didn't get any taper.

Mike O.
Slowhand

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
ups.com...
Seems like a lot more work than CW's method.....
Of course, I could use a bandsaw and a jointer.....

I use a skill saw with a straight edge leaving the pencil line exposed and
depending on my mood, either a router with a trim bit or the jointer.
SH

Charles Spitzer

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
ups.com...
That looks like what I'm after....picture is worth a 1000 words....

One could even calibrate it for different tapers.

when you trim out the entire post you're replying to, no one has any idea
what the heck you're talking about.

Never Enough Money

What are you talking about when you say "trim out the entire post."

I view this thread through Google groups and it's really easy to see
why replies go with what posts. No confusion.....

alexy

"Never Enough Money" wrote:

What are you talking about when you say "trim out the entire post."

I view this thread through Google groups and it's really easy to see
why replies go with what posts. No confusion.....

Yes, that was fairly predictable. Those who use Google groups tend to
look at usenet as a web forum, and eventually it may devolve to that.
But recognize that a large portion of the readership uses newsreaders
that don't download the whole thread each time a new message is added.
And while we could go back and see the context, it is more efficient
use of screen space to look at current messages only.
Never Enough Money

So what shoud I do, repeat the post I'm responding to? That seem
inefficient. Seems like you usenet folks should move on itno the year
2005.

Doug Miller

In article .com, "Never Enough Money" wrote:

So what shoud I do, repeat the post I'm responding to?

If you want the majority of your readers to know what you're talking about,
then, yes.

That seem inefficient.

And making people wonder what the heck you're talking about, isn't?

Seems like you usenet folks should move on itno the year 2005.

No, it seems like:
a) Google should fix its broken news interface, which fails to quote posts
when following up
b) you should switch to using a real newsreader.

--
Regards,

Never Enough Money

For those of you using a newsreader -- I'm responding to Doug Miler who
said:

So what shoud I do, repeat the post I'm responding to?

If you want the majority of your readers to know what you're talking
about,
then, yes.

That seem inefficient.

And making people wonder what the heck you're talking about, isn't?

Seems like you usenet folks should move on itno the year 2005.

No, it seems like:
a) Google should fix its broken news interface, which fails to quote
posts
when following up
b) you should switch to using a real newsreader.

Now finally I can say my piece....

Perhaps I don't know what a newsreader is. The one I thought I tried
about two years ago was far inferior to Google.

BTW, I notice huge numbers of folks do the same as I do - they don't
quote anything. That makes me suspect your use of the word "majority".

I'll also check the settings/preferences on Google. Perhaps it will
"quote" or maybe you can tell me where to find a "newsreader" that I
don't have to be a computer scientists to download, upload, overload,
install, figure out, etc.

Doug Miller

In article .com, "Never Enough Money" wrote:

Perhaps I don't know what a newsreader is. The one I thought I tried
about two years ago was far inferior to Google.

Which one did you try?

MickeySoft Outhouse and Outhouse Express are not newsreaders. Neither is
Netscape.

I use NewsXpress mostly, Microplanet Gravity sometimes. Lots of regulars here
use Forte Agent or Free Agent.

BTW, I notice huge numbers of folks do the same as I do - they don't
quote anything. That makes me suspect your use of the word "majority".

Take a look at the headers on those posts: nearly all of them are using the
same broken Google interface you use. Then compare them to the number of posts
that properly quote what they're replying to, and you'll see that (a) there
are quite a bit more of the latter than the former, and (b) almost *none* of
the latter are using Google Groups.

I'll also check the settings/preferences on Google. Perhaps it will
"quote"

Let us hope so. Perhaps in time Google could be persuaded to make quoting the
default behavior - but given their utter lack of responsiveness to anything
*else* involving newsgroups, I'm not holding my breath.

or maybe you can tell me where to find a "newsreader" that I
don't have to be a computer scientists to download, upload, overload,
install, figure out, etc.

Google on any of the newsreaders that I named above. NewsXpress in particular
is dirt-simple to install and use.

--
Regards,

Prometheus

On 1 Jun 2005 17:44:42 -0700, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

So what shoud I do, repeat the post I'm responding to? That seem
inefficient. Seems like you usenet folks should move on itno the year
2005.

I've tried them both, and Agent is far more effiencient than Google.
Not to mention that Google only carries a fraction of Usenet. If you
doubt that, go check out alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking!

But go ahead and use whatever posting preference you like (because you
will anyhow). Just be advised that it doesn't come out correctly for
much of the group.

Prometheus

On 1 Jun 2005 18:49:26 -0700, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

Perhaps I don't know what a newsreader is. The one I thought I tried
about two years ago was far inferior to Google.

BTW, I notice huge numbers of folks do the same as I do - they don't
quote anything. That makes me suspect your use of the word "majority".

I'll also check the settings/preferences on Google. Perhaps it will
"quote" or maybe you can tell me where to find a "newsreader" that I
don't have to be a computer scientists to download, upload, overload,
install, figure out, etc.

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/download.php

It's not any harder than an e-mail program to use once you get the
hang of it. The only thing you'll have to do is find out what your
ISP's news service is and plug it into the program. News servers have
an address similar to mail servers- it should look like this
"news.your_ISP_here.com" The outgoing mail server is the same as the
one in your e-mail program (IE. "smtp.your_ISP_here.com"

To get you started, download and install free agent, select "options"
and then "User and System profile" Fill in your handle and e-mail
address on the first screen, then click on the "system" tab and enter
your news server amd outgoing mail server as noted above. If you
don't know what your news server is, call your ISP and they'll tell
you.

Next select "Online" and then "Get new groups" from the drop-down
menu. This'll take a few minutes. Once you've got a list of groups,
you can either search for keywords using control+F (or "edit" then
"find") or just scroll through the list with the sliding bar on the
side. When you find a group you want to follow, right-click on it and
select "subscribe" Once you've subscribed to some, you can navigate
to the subscribed groups window by clicking on the text below the
"groups" tab. This way, you can just keep the ones you are interested
handy for easy access.

To get message headers, click on the button on the left side of the
screen below the drop down menu bar. (if you let your pointer float
over the buttons for a second, they will give you a short description-
you're looking for the get new headers button) Once you've found
that, it will download the titles for all availible messages. When
you want to read a message, double-click on it, and it will download
the message from the server and open it.

It might sound like a lot, but it's really easy once you do it once or
twice, and it works quite a lot better than Google, at least in my
opinion.

Slowhand

"alexy" wrote in message
"Never Enough Money" wrote:

What are you talking about when you say "trim out the entire post."

I view this thread through Google groups and it's really easy to see
why replies go with what posts. No confusion.....

Yes, that was fairly predictable. Those who use Google groups tend to
look at usenet as a web forum, and eventually it may devolve to that.
But recognize that a large portion of the readership uses newsreaders
that don't download the whole thread each time a new message is added.
And while we could go back and see the context, it is more efficient
use of screen space to look at current messages only.

After Google takes over the world, who's gonna need software anyway.
SH - Look out microsoft. Here comes google.

Never Enough Money

Don't worry. The Chinese are stealing everything and soon we'll be
buying from them.

Never Enough Money

Ok, getting Free Agent to work has turned into a science fair project.
The download was trivial. However, that's just the beginning.

First, I use Yahoo mail not mail from my ISP (Indra's Net). I called my
ISP to get my username and password, which I haven't used in6 years.
Found out their news server and mail server. Free Agent gave me errors.
After playing around for an hour, I contact my ISP and they said the
proble is that I get braodband from Comcats, not them.

I contact Comcast. They said I must connect to giginews. I got a
username and password from them too. I've been trying for about 20
minutes and have sent Comcast another question asking why I'm getting
the follwing error:

"Error reported by winsock driver. Conection refused by server [error
10061]"

I found error 10061 in "help" and it says the server may be down. I've
tried this severla times over 24 hours so I ssupect it's something
else.

These frustrations are why people use Google. Google is simple.

no(SPAM)vasys

Never Enough Money wrote:
[...]

Indra's news server is "news.indra.com" per their support page. Their
news server should interface with GigaNews.

It looks like Indra may have a copy of "Free Agent" that MAY already set
up for their service. Take a looks at their download page at:

http://www.indra.com/support/downloads.html#news

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Never Enough Money

You are missing the point. I called Indra's net and spoke with their
tech weenie. He said I needed to connect through Comcast since they are
my broadband modem provider.

Doug Miller

In article . com, "Never Enough Money" wrote:
You are missing the point. I called Indra's net and spoke with their
tech weenie. He said I needed to connect through Comcast since they are
my broadband modem provider.

You may be missing something, too: you can probably (but not necessarily)
connect to Indra's news server *through* your broadband connection to Comcast.
Lots of front-line tech support people are absolutely clueless about anything
that isn't completely 100 percent standard, and they'll automatically tell you
it can't be done, when the truth is they haven't been told how. Try to get
past Indra's front-line support, and talk to somebody in their second tier
support group - if *they* tell you it can't be done, that's probably correct.

--
Regards,