Prometheus

On 1 Jun 2005 18:49:26 -0700, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

Perhaps I don't know what a newsreader is. The one I thought I tried
about two years ago was far inferior to Google.

BTW, I notice huge numbers of folks do the same as I do - they don't
quote anything. That makes me suspect your use of the word "majority".

I'll also check the settings/preferences on Google. Perhaps it will
"quote" or maybe you can tell me where to find a "newsreader" that I
don't have to be a computer scientists to download, upload, overload,
install, figure out, etc.

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/download.php

It's not any harder than an e-mail program to use once you get the
hang of it. The only thing you'll have to do is find out what your
ISP's news service is and plug it into the program. News servers have
an address similar to mail servers- it should look like this
"news.your_ISP_here.com" The outgoing mail server is the same as the
one in your e-mail program (IE. "smtp.your_ISP_here.com"

To get you started, download and install free agent, select "options"
and then "User and System profile" Fill in your handle and e-mail
address on the first screen, then click on the "system" tab and enter
your news server amd outgoing mail server as noted above. If you
don't know what your news server is, call your ISP and they'll tell
you.

Next select "Online" and then "Get new groups" from the drop-down
menu. This'll take a few minutes. Once you've got a list of groups,
you can either search for keywords using control+F (or "edit" then
"find") or just scroll through the list with the sliding bar on the
side. When you find a group you want to follow, right-click on it and
select "subscribe" Once you've subscribed to some, you can navigate
to the subscribed groups window by clicking on the text below the
"groups" tab. This way, you can just keep the ones you are interested
handy for easy access.

To get message headers, click on the button on the left side of the
screen below the drop down menu bar. (if you let your pointer float
over the buttons for a second, they will give you a short description-
you're looking for the get new headers button) Once you've found
that, it will download the titles for all availible messages. When
you want to read a message, double-click on it, and it will download
the message from the server and open it.

It might sound like a lot, but it's really easy once you do it once or
twice, and it works quite a lot better than Google, at least in my
opinion.