Rob McConachie

Default What is best lathe manufacturer?

I know this looks like a troll. But, I have come to a point where I may be
able to go higher that the Nova 3000 I was considering and wanted to get
your esteemed opinions on the best manufacturer.

could you please help rate the manufacturers (in your opinion)? even a one
word reply would help me.

Honest, its not a troll.

Rob

DJ Delorie

If by "best manufacturer" you mean "which lathe do people drool over
the most?" the answer is usually Oneway. There are other vendors that
produce better specialty lathes, but the Oneways seem to have cornered
the drool market for general purpose consumer lathes.

Mark Hancock

Rob

Poolewood!!

You should really be asking what you want to turn and which lathe fits your
requirements. For example what swing are you looking for? Do you want to
turn inboard and outboard or would a swivel headstock be more suitable? Once
you have your lathe spec. then see which lathe fits it best.

--
Mark Hancock, South Wales, UK
http://www.markhancock.co.uk

MCR

DJ Delorie wrote in message ...
If by "best manufacturer" you mean "which lathe do people drool over
the most?" the answer is usually Oneway. There are other vendors that
produce better specialty lathes, but the Oneways seem to have cornered
the drool market for general purpose consumer lathes.

MY OPINION

1.Oneway
2.Stubby
3.VB36
4.Vicmarc
5.Woodfast

James E Gaydos

Oneway
Rob McConachie

True. Very True. I know that I need to know what I want to do before I buy
a lathe.

At this point, I am "relatively" new to woodturning. I have made somewhere
between 50 & 75 pens and have just started with bowls and boxes.

In addition, I would like to do closed forms (such as vases and the like).
Also I find the precision of the segmented bowl to be amazing.

Currently, I have a shopsmith 10ER that I work on and it likes to do all
kinds of vibration things. Somedays, it likes to dance. Some days, it
likes to bounce up and down. And everyday it is just plain LOUD.

Later this week, I am planning on ordering my Jet JML-1014VS to do pen work
and small bowls. As my shop will be closing soon and I may be without it
(the shop) for 6-8 months.

What I am looking at now is my parents are moving to a new house that they
are building and will be building a new shop out at the new place. Because
we are moving the shop, it is a fine time to upgrade some of the equipment
in there. And through "sweat equity", my dad has agreed to purchase a new
lathe for the new shop (mainly because the SS sucks).

So, I am trying to get some ideas. I am a big believer in "buy the last one
you are going to buy first". With this in mind, I am trying to get some
reasonable ideas for lathes. Because I am intersted in bowls, I think that
variable speed and reversible would be requirements. With an interest in
larger bowls, a larger swing would be desired. With an interest in turning
pool cues, a longer bed would be nice.

So, as you can see, I am now looking for suggestions on a 1. high quality,
2. large swing, 3. long bed, 4. variable speed, 5. reversible lathe. That I
do not have to pay for.

But, it has to be reasonably priced. My current leader of the pack is the
Powermatic 3250a for $1899.

Rob

"Mark Hancock" wrote in message
Rob

Poolewood!!

You should really be asking what you want to turn and which lathe fits

your
requirements. For example what swing are you looking for? Do you want to
turn inboard and outboard or would a swivel headstock be more suitable?

Once
you have your lathe spec. then see which lathe fits it best.

--
Mark Hancock, South Wales, UK
http://www.markhancock.co.uk

Ghodges2

ROB, I have a Nova 3000 with a 1 1/2 hp motor, and an outboard capacity. I
wanted something larger. I also now own the Euro 2000 Poolewood. The Nova
spoiled me with the swivel head, and variable speed. The Poolewood has this,
plus a 20 inch swing, and the outboard capacity. I have turned a 30 inch bowl
with it, and can turn even larger bowls. I also turn bottle stoppers and tops
on the Poolewood. The direct drive of the Poolewood insures that I never have
to mess with belts. You have a tough choice. Poolewood was the right one for
me.
Nashville, Georgia
william kossack

Kind of like asking what is the best car.

Depends on how much more you want to spend. Lathes seem to go up in
price in amounts that double from one level to another.

If you were considering the Nova 3000 which runs under $1000 then look
at the DVR for $1800 or the variable speed Delta for $1900. If you have
twice the money to spend than a DVR then the others come into the
picture like the Oneway, vic, stubby etc for around $4K....shoot I saw a
really nice laguna for $8500 at the woodworking show if you have the money.

I got the DVR partly because of the price and partly because I needed to
keep a certain amount of portability because of a non existant shop (I
have to drag everything outside onto the driveway to make
sawdust)....PS some dislike the computer control on the DVR but I
really like it but then I'm a geek at heart.

Rob McConachie wrote:

I know this looks like a troll. But, I have come to a point where I may be
able to go higher that the Nova 3000 I was considering and wanted to get
your esteemed opinions on the best manufacturer.

could you please help rate the manufacturers (in your opinion)? even a one
word reply would help me.

Honest, its not a troll.

Rob

Robert

Rob
I just purchased a 1640 Oneway lathe, and for my money it is the best
all around. It is about $1500 less than the top of the line Oneway
(2436), comes with a two horse motor, excellent controls and sturdy
bed/frame. Optional short bed extension available (about $250) which
turns it into a 24" swing over the bed on the outboard side. I can't
imagine ever needing more than this. Having had deltas before, this
is a significant leap forward. I had been considering the powermatic
because of cost until I ran into the new 1640 (just released a few
months back) - for about $500 more I felt it was the best.
Just one man's opinion.
Robert

"Rob McConachie" wrote in message thlink.net...
I know this looks like a troll. But, I have come to a point where I may be
able to go higher that the Nova 3000 I was considering and wanted to get
your esteemed opinions on the best manufacturer.

could you please help rate the manufacturers (in your opinion)? even a one
word reply would help me.

Honest, its not a troll.

Rob

Rob McConachie

I was seriously considering the DVR as a good MOR lathe. But, being a "geek
at heart" and a "geek in real life", I became concerned about the
electronics. If the electronics fail, the lathe is toasted. I think that
is kind of a problem (at least in my opinion).

Another consideration I was looking at was the Vicmarc VL300 bench only
lathe and then "Acquiring" the additional parts required to finish it.

It really makes my brain hurt - the longer I look, the more expensive they
become.

However, I have still not dismissed the idea of building my own. not
because i am trying to save money but rather because i want to.

Rob

Rob McConachie wrote:

I know this looks like a troll. But, I have come to a point where I may

be
able to go higher that the Nova 3000 I was considering and wanted to get
your esteemed opinions on the best manufacturer.

could you please help rate the manufacturers (in your opinion)? even a

one
word reply would help me.

Honest, its not a troll.

Rob

Mark Hancock

Rob

"So, as you can see, I am now looking for suggestions on a 1. high quality,
2. large swing, 3. long bed, 4. variable speed, 5. reversible lathe."

Most of the lathes mentioned already probably fulfil the above spec. You're
next step I would suggest is to try out the lathes. My decision was between
a VB36 and a Poolewood Euro 3000 and I tried both before getting the 3000.
Ask at you local club whose got what and see if you can get some hands on.
It's only when you do this that you find the peculiarities of the lathe -
those things that will drive you up the wall! In my case it was having to
change belts with a variable speed lathe, a fiddly way of mounting on the
headstock, not enough distance between centers and a few other points. I
didn't consider any of the other fixed headstock lathes because of outboard
turning and space involved. Having said that the big Oneway looked
interesting but I could never get the swinging control arm in a place that
was always convenient for me. It things like that to look out for. If as you
say you "buy the last one you are going to buy first" it's worth taking your
time and doing the research.

Good luck
--
Mark Hancock
South Wales, UK

Rob McConachie

Thanks Mark.

Some of these things are what I was looking for.

Recently, I went to woodcraft (www.woodcraft.com) and took a look at the
nova 3000 they had there in house and I liked it. But, I was attracted to
teh delta 46-715 lathe. However, after turning them both on, the Nova
vibrated *a lot* with no load and the delta was totally smooth. So, I
started testing the Delta. But, after a few minutes, I found that the
handwheel (which I use to stop the lathe quickly) had about a 3/8 inch gap
between the wheel and the headstock. Which, IMO, was enough to get my thumb
and fingers good and stuck in. So, I ruled that out.

I think that I have enough time to do plenty of research on this and
therefore am looking for all the help that i can get. Unless something
unbelieveable falls into my lap.

[...]

Lewis Dodd

The drowning feeling from excess saliva and the drool on your chin will stop
if you buy the Oneway 2436 with a 3 hp motor!

Regards,
Lewis

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
"Rob McConachie" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I know this looks like a troll. But, I have come to a point where I may

be
able to go higher that the Nova 3000 I was considering and wanted to get
your esteemed opinions on the best manufacturer.

could you please help rate the manufacturers (in your opinion)? even a

one
word reply would help me.

Honest, its not a troll.

Rob

Rich Pagano

I can't believe that with all these posts, nobody mentioned the General
20260VS. It does everything a Oneway does at about half the price and it
looks like a lathe and not like a sewer pipe. :-) No real offense to
Oneway, it's a great lathe and I wouldn't mind having one, but
price/performance wise, you can't beat the General.

"Rob McConachie" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I know this looks like a troll. But, I have come to a point where I may

be
able to go higher that the Nova 3000 I was considering and wanted to get
your esteemed opinions on the best manufacturer.

could you please help rate the manufacturers (in your opinion)? even a

one
word reply would help me.

Honest, its not a troll.

Rob

George

It's that off the end part that I like about the 3520, for instance, though
you are right in stating that the General, with its long-proven design is a
great item. That's one of my difficulties - I'm turning on an old clone of
same with less capacity, a Delta 46-204. It's too good a lathe to give up,
and less the risers, as big as the General!

"Rich Pagano" wrote in message
nk.net...
I can't believe that with all these posts, nobody mentioned the General
20260VS. It does everything a Oneway does at about half the price and it
looks like a lathe and not like a sewer pipe. :-) No real offense to
Oneway, it's a great lathe and I wouldn't mind having one, but
price/performance wise, you can't beat the General.

Rob McConachie

no, it was a nova 3000. I have heard that nova is coming out with an
updated model this spring (of 2004).

however, i did not get a chance to turn them all on.

Rob McConachie wrote:

[...]

Barry N. Turner

I took a beginning bowl-turning class at Woodcraft a couple of years ago. I
turned on a Nova 3000 all day. Not a bad lathe. Not a really great one
either, IMHO. I thought it to be excessively noisy. Our club also has an
older Nova 3000. It also seems to be excessively noisy. And during a
turning demo the motor shaft broke. There have been some threads on this NG
about this defect. Personally, I feel it is a bit too easy to apply too
much belt tension, causing premature failure of the motor shaft. I'm still
turning on a Jet Mini. Since I'm not even in the category of lathes you are
looking at, I should probably keep my opinions to myself. But, I feel the
Jet Mini is a better small lathe than the Nova is a larger lathe. (Did that
make any sense at all?) Good luck in your quest. Let us know what lathe
you settle on.

Barry

link.net...

Rob McConachie wrote:

I know this looks like a troll. But, I have come to a point where I

may
be
able to go higher that the Nova 3000 I was considering and wanted to

get
your esteemed opinions on the best manufacturer.

could you please help rate the manufacturers (in your opinion)? even a

one
word reply would help me.

Honest, its not a troll.

Rob

Rob McConachie

actually, it made perfect sense.

as i am planning on getting a jet mini jml-1014vs for the moment, i am
looking to plan for the future (this fall and beyond).

i just learned from one of the other guys on this NG that he mounted a block
of wood on his nova DVR and it weighed 96 pounds (he sent me a picture).

when i learned this, i got to thinking that i might be shooting just a
little TOO large on the future lathe. I know you can turn chessmen on an
giant. But, will i REALLY turn a gargantuan piece of wood? I am not
certain at this moment.

I am certain that for the next couple of months, I may be posting some
newbie questions until it get it worked out.

i am still very interested in building my own large-scale lathe. I am not
planning on doing it to save money but for the experience.

Rob

. ..

Rob McConachie wrote:

I know this looks like a troll. But, I have come to a point where I

may
be
able to go higher that the Nova 3000 I was considering and wanted to

get
your esteemed opinions on the best manufacturer.

could you please help rate the manufacturers (in your opinion)? even

one
word reply would help me.

Honest, its not a troll.

Rob

william kossack

Interesting. It still should not have vibrated. Something must have
been wrong with it but
nobody at the woodcraft store has the time or cares to mess with it.
When I was going
to woodcraft or Rocklers to look at lathes the majority of the sales
people were of little
help. The guy that knew about lathes and turning was usually not in. I
found other
customers far more informative.

Your best bet is to check with a local turning club or woodworking club.

Two things to remember.
Free advice is often is worth what you are pay for it. It is only an
opinion.
Complainers always speak louder and more often than people that are happy.

PS as for the DVR the geek in me loves the fact that I can change out
the motherboard
if a much improved version comes out.

Rob McConachie wrote:

no, it was a nova 3000. I have heard that nova is coming out with an
updated model this spring (of 2004).

however, i did not get a chance to turn them all on.

Rob

"william kossack" wrote in message

If that was a DVR that vibrated a lot then there was something wrong with

it

william kossack

I'd love to see that pic.

I started out with a really crappy Grizzly on which I've been turning
for 1 1/2 years. I was looking
at the Jet Mini when my wife gave me the grizzly (Oh well what was I to
do then). The grizzly
really crapped out on anything larger than 5 inches. I did do a 9 inch
bowl but it took several days
because the slightest presure would bog down the lathe.

If you want practice sharpening chisels get a weak lathe.

However, the grizzly provided me with a learning lathe to get a taste.
The jet mini would be
a good learning lathe. Many never seem to need anything else. Once
you decide to move
up you should be able to sell the mini someone will buy it. I can only
hope that someone
will buy my grizzly.

My interest has gone to larger pieces but I needed a lathe that could
handle it. I selected
the DVR based on my requirments.

Rob McConachie wrote:

actually, it made perfect sense.

as i am planning on getting a jet mini jml-1014vs for the moment, i am
looking to plan for the future (this fall and beyond).

i just learned from one of the other guys on this NG that he mounted a block
of wood on his nova DVR and it weighed 96 pounds (he sent me a picture).

when i learned this, i got to thinking that i might be shooting just a
little TOO large on the future lathe. I know you can turn chessmen on an
giant. But, will i REALLY turn a gargantuan piece of wood? I am not
certain at this moment.

I am certain that for the next couple of months, I may be posting some
newbie questions until it get it worked out.

i am still very interested in building my own large-scale lathe. I am not
planning on doing it to save money but for the experience.

Rob

guy

I've seen the Oneways in action etc and I ended up with a Vicmarc
VL300 longbed, 24 inch swing, 50 inch between centers. The Oneways are
well made but I like cast iron and the Vics are of the same quality as
Oneway, just made of cast iron. I made a stand out of plywood (6
sheets of it) and got a 3HP 3 phase motor and controller. Total was
just under $3000. Very very smooth, total weight for lathe and stand
is around 1300 pounds (+/-). Have only recently finished it. This
weekend I'm going to chuck up a 24 inch by 24 inch chunk I've been
saving for this. We'll see then how good it really is. Testing so far
shows tons of torque, smooth as silk running, and all components work
smoothly. Feels solid as a tank. Get whatever one you feel like and
have fun!! Just my .02.

Randal Dickinson

You said manufacture; Oneway by far it is the best company I have ever
dealt with, bar none; great family...
Incidentally, they hold very tight tolerances that are very
consistent. This is very hard to do as cutters wear, etc., even with
cnc and all of the related equipment. I am no expert, but I did do a
stint running a cnc vertical mill, programming and all in a
manufacturing facility, and learned a lot, enough to be an informed
basic low level beginner...

Now, for the answer you expected, they also make excellent lathes;
they are my choice. I love my OneWay 2436 !
The whole lathe is excellent, but the head stock really shines, in my
opinion; a plus or minus three ten thousands hardened spindle, with
locking groove for chucks, faceplates, etc. The bearings fine tuned so
that bearing play is at a absolute minimum, this is just a fantastic
head stock on a great lathe.

My two cents....
Randy Dickinson

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 05:39:41 GMT, "Rob McConachie"
wrote:

I know this looks like a troll. But, I have come to a point where I may be
able to go higher that the Nova 3000 I was considering and wanted to get
your esteemed opinions on the best manufacturer.

could you please help rate the manufacturers (in your opinion)? even a one
word reply would help me.

Honest, its not a troll.

Rob

CJH

I know I will get in trouble for this but I have had my Powermatic 4224 for
long enough to say that i received 'Value for money' for my purchase. There
are other lathes in it's class that sell for almost twice as much. it really
depends what your bank account looks like. Chuck in Maine