Mark Hancock

Default What is best lathe manufacturer?

Rob

"So, as you can see, I am now looking for suggestions on a 1. high quality,
2. large swing, 3. long bed, 4. variable speed, 5. reversible lathe."

Most of the lathes mentioned already probably fulfil the above spec. You're
next step I would suggest is to try out the lathes. My decision was between
a VB36 and a Poolewood Euro 3000 and I tried both before getting the 3000.
Ask at you local club whose got what and see if you can get some hands on.
It's only when you do this that you find the peculiarities of the lathe -
those things that will drive you up the wall! In my case it was having to
change belts with a variable speed lathe, a fiddly way of mounting on the
headstock, not enough distance between centers and a few other points. I
didn't consider any of the other fixed headstock lathes because of outboard
turning and space involved. Having said that the big Oneway looked
interesting but I could never get the swinging control arm in a place that
was always convenient for me. It things like that to look out for. If as you
say you "buy the last one you are going to buy first" it's worth taking your
time and doing the research.

Good luck
--
Mark Hancock