Rob McConachie

Default What is best lathe manufacturer?

I was seriously considering the DVR as a good MOR lathe. But, being a "geek
at heart" and a "geek in real life", I became concerned about the
electronics. If the electronics fail, the lathe is toasted. I think that
is kind of a problem (at least in my opinion).

Another consideration I was looking at was the Vicmarc VL300 bench only
lathe and then "Acquiring" the additional parts required to finish it.

It really makes my brain hurt - the longer I look, the more expensive they
become.

However, I have still not dismissed the idea of building my own. not
because i am trying to save money but rather because i want to.

Rob

"william kossack" wrote in message
Kind of like asking what is the best car.

Depends on how much more you want to spend. Lathes seem to go up in
price in amounts that double from one level to another.

If you were considering the Nova 3000 which runs under $1000 then look
at the DVR for $1800 or the variable speed Delta for $1900. If you have
twice the money to spend than a DVR then the others come into the
picture like the Oneway, vic, stubby etc for around $4K....shoot I saw a
really nice laguna for $8500 at the woodworking show if you have the

money.

I got the DVR partly because of the price and partly because I needed to
keep a certain amount of portability because of a non existant shop (I
have to drag everything outside onto the driveway to make
sawdust)....PS some dislike the computer control on the DVR but I
really like it but then I'm a geek at heart.

Rob McConachie wrote:

I know this looks like a troll. But, I have come to a point where I may

be
able to go higher that the Nova 3000 I was considering and wanted to get
your esteemed opinions on the best manufacturer.

could you please help rate the manufacturers (in your opinion)? even a

one
word reply would help me.

Honest, its not a troll.

Rob