Rob McConachie

Default What is best lathe manufacturer?

actually, it made perfect sense.

as i am planning on getting a jet mini jml-1014vs for the moment, i am
looking to plan for the future (this fall and beyond).

i just learned from one of the other guys on this NG that he mounted a block
of wood on his nova DVR and it weighed 96 pounds (he sent me a picture).

when i learned this, i got to thinking that i might be shooting just a
little TOO large on the future lathe. I know you can turn chessmen on an
giant. But, will i REALLY turn a gargantuan piece of wood? I am not
certain at this moment.

I am certain that for the next couple of months, I may be posting some
newbie questions until it get it worked out.

i am still very interested in building my own large-scale lathe. I am not
planning on doing it to save money but for the experience.

Rob

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
. ..
I took a beginning bowl-turning class at Woodcraft a couple of years ago.

turned on a Nova 3000 all day. Not a bad lathe. Not a really great one
either, IMHO. I thought it to be excessively noisy. Our club also has an
older Nova 3000. It also seems to be excessively noisy. And during a
turning demo the motor shaft broke. There have been some threads on this

NG
about this defect. Personally, I feel it is a bit too easy to apply too
much belt tension, causing premature failure of the motor shaft. I'm

still
turning on a Jet Mini. Since I'm not even in the category of lathes you

are
looking at, I should probably keep my opinions to myself. But, I feel the
Jet Mini is a better small lathe than the Nova is a larger lathe. (Did

that
make any sense at all?) Good luck in your quest. Let us know what lathe
you settle on.

Barry

"Rob McConachie" wrote in message
link.net...
I was seriously considering the DVR as a good MOR lathe. But, being a

"geek
at heart" and a "geek in real life", I became concerned about the
electronics. If the electronics fail, the lathe is toasted. I think

that
is kind of a problem (at least in my opinion).

Another consideration I was looking at was the Vicmarc VL300 bench only
lathe and then "Acquiring" the additional parts required to finish it.

It really makes my brain hurt - the longer I look, the more expensive

they
become.

However, I have still not dismissed the idea of building my own. not
because i am trying to save money but rather because i want to.

Rob

"william kossack" wrote in message
Kind of like asking what is the best car.

Depends on how much more you want to spend. Lathes seem to go up in
price in amounts that double from one level to another.

If you were considering the Nova 3000 which runs under $1000 then look
at the DVR for $1800 or the variable speed Delta for $1900. If you

have
twice the money to spend than a DVR then the others come into the
picture like the Oneway, vic, stubby etc for around $4K....shoot I saw

really nice laguna for $8500 at the woodworking show if you have the

money.

I got the DVR partly because of the price and partly because I needed

keep a certain amount of portability because of a non existant shop (I
have to drag everything outside onto the driveway to make
sawdust)....PS some dislike the computer control on the DVR but I
really like it but then I'm a geek at heart.

Rob McConachie wrote:

I know this looks like a troll. But, I have come to a point where I

may
be
able to go higher that the Nova 3000 I was considering and wanted to

get
your esteemed opinions on the best manufacturer.

could you please help rate the manufacturers (in your opinion)? even

one
word reply would help me.

Honest, its not a troll.

Rob