william kossack

Default What is best lathe manufacturer?

I'd love to see that pic.

I started out with a really crappy Grizzly on which I've been turning
for 1 1/2 years. I was looking
at the Jet Mini when my wife gave me the grizzly (Oh well what was I to
do then). The grizzly
really crapped out on anything larger than 5 inches. I did do a 9 inch
bowl but it took several days
because the slightest presure would bog down the lathe.

If you want practice sharpening chisels get a weak lathe.

However, the grizzly provided me with a learning lathe to get a taste.
The jet mini would be
a good learning lathe. Many never seem to need anything else. Once
you decide to move
up you should be able to sell the mini someone will buy it. I can only
hope that someone
will buy my grizzly.

My interest has gone to larger pieces but I needed a lathe that could
handle it. I selected
the DVR based on my requirments.

Rob McConachie wrote:

actually, it made perfect sense.

as i am planning on getting a jet mini jml-1014vs for the moment, i am
looking to plan for the future (this fall and beyond).

i just learned from one of the other guys on this NG that he mounted a block
of wood on his nova DVR and it weighed 96 pounds (he sent me a picture).

when i learned this, i got to thinking that i might be shooting just a
little TOO large on the future lathe. I know you can turn chessmen on an
giant. But, will i REALLY turn a gargantuan piece of wood? I am not
certain at this moment.

I am certain that for the next couple of months, I may be posting some
newbie questions until it get it worked out.

i am still very interested in building my own large-scale lathe. I am not
planning on doing it to save money but for the experience.

Rob