Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Why do you participate (or lurk) in this group?

There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlieb wrote:
There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?

I check in about twice a day.
I enjoy woodturning and am still learning.
New messages.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Insert inevitable trivial witticism of
your choice.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 09:28:44 -0800, charlieb
wrote:

There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?

A regular lurker, I like to see more of "garage" woodworking
shop, fixtures, projects and etc.

Keep on postings :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote in message
There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?

If I told you I'd no longer be lurking! goes back to shed and hides

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Ian Malcolm" wrote in message
. net...

"charlieb" wrote in message
There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?

If I told you I'd no longer be lurking! goes back to shed and hides

I'm here because I'm interested. I lurk because I don't have all the
answers. I participate because some questions are so simple I *do* have an
answer.

Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

This group is interesting, in part because there are some pretty
knowledgable turners who participate. And it's also interesting
because folks who want to know how to do something, or advice
on buying or making something - ask interesting questions.

And there aren't many dumb questions asked here because
the asker has thought about it and tried to come up with an
answer and hasn't been able to - and - wants to learn the anwer,
or answers.

Sometimes a question can intentionally, or unintentionally
raise other questions, or spark an interesting discussion.

For me, the group is a resource, a place where information
is exchanged - freely (rare in these days when everything
seems to have to be "monetized" it's value expressed in
dollars worth) - and a pretty hospitable group as well.

And it's a pretty good place to pick up an idea that may become
a turned piece - or not.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I mostly lurk because I have few answers. Most of them aren't right. 8^)

I started turning only a couple years ago and am teaching myself through
books. I get lots of ideas hanging around but don't follow through much
although getting my back straightened out again might get me back down
working. That and retiring in a few months. So I don't have answers.

Of course, big reason for lurking is teranews has been taking a lot of
finagling of late. I've had to delete and reset up the account several
times and it got to where I could not post. We'll see if this works but I
won't hold my breath.

"charlieb" wrote in message
There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Cause we are addicted to making huge piles of wood chips. This is the
only place I can find ALL the answers and get ideas for my turning.
When I was working I was lucky enough to get my hands on all kinds of
trim material ,now I need to use It up cause its piled up every
where.One load was nine pc" 1x12x12 ft. of oak and a bunch of poplar and
pine. If anybody is in the north east of Ohio area I am willing to trade
oak for some turning logs.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 11:28:44 -0600, charlieb wrote
(in message ):

There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?

I mainly lurk. I'm an amateur with about 40 years' experience, and this place
is a great resource for answers and ideas. No attitudes that I can perceive.
Folks are always ready with help.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

I have regularly attended the "meetings" of this group for several
years (ever since I first got interested in turning). It has been one
of the many reliable sources of information I have used to improve as
a woodturner along with videos, lessons and "logging" lots of hours on
the lathe (pun intended).

At first I was a lurker. I read everything that this group had to
offer. I suspect that is the case with lots of the group's members.
But as time passed and I felt more confidence I decided to contribute
from time to time.

Over the years I have seen some new names pop up every so often. I
have also noticed some other names vanish. I am not sure why. I
speculate that as some have used this group to become better turners
they have become even more addicted, spend more time turning and have
to attend shows to sell their pieces.

Whatever the case I believe that this group has helped a lot of people
over the years. It still does.

Ted J

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 5, 12:28*pm, charlieb wrote:
There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?

I'm a lurker too. I have been turning for a little over a year now. I
do not typically have answers for people yet but will hopefully
someday. The times I have actually known an answer, someone beat me to
answering the question...

I lurk on a few other groups as well and this is by far my favorite.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Of course, big reason for lurking is teranews has been taking a lot of
finagling of late. I've had to delete and reset up the account several
times and it got to where I could not post. We'll see if this works but I
won't hold my breath.

I am really cheap and I gave up on tera-news because of posts showing up 3
days later or never. I realise that news posting are not instantaneous, but
if a post takes 3 days, the conversation has left you behind.

I ended up he http://usenet-news.net/

For $10, I get to download 30GB of content. I think I might have to pony up
again in a year or two.

-steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

For the most part a lurk.

Why?

* I'm mostly a flat woodworker and frankly, I expect that I will always
spend the bulk of my shop time doing rectilinear work. Consequently, I will
probably never get really good at turning. I need all the help I can get.

* The quality of information available here is excellent.

* The signal to noise ratio is excellent.

* I prefer a newsgroup/newsreader over web-based forms, and I abhor using
Google's interface to news.

-Steve

"charlieb" wrote in message
There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I am not so arrogant as to think that I know all there is to know about
woodturning and neither am I a doomsday personality. I sure hope my
comments don't come over either way.

Rcw is a great source for answers to woodturning questions, but down
through the years I've learned as much as I need to know for the kind of
turning I've settled into. The many "new ideas" presented on rcw are
interesting, some even exciting, but they seldom lead to my following up
on them at the lathe.

For me it's the pleasures of friendly and sometimes not so friendly give
& take of diverse members with a common interest in woodturning that I
enjoy more than what I learn about turning wood. It's that _enjoyment
that has kept me active on the ng for years with posts by this
"crotchety ole coot" that often could better be left unsaid.

I remember with happy satisfaction so many turners who have passed
through rcw, each changing it for the better. Some I've heartedly agreed
with and some I've heatedly disagree with, but we always ended up as net
friends. Some have become leaders in turning circles, even becoming
known internationally. Some have 'turned' to other groups and some like
old turners "have just faded away". I'm probably about to join in that
number, dammit.

I won't embarass any of my valued old net friends here with soupy
maudlin commentary, but please know how much I appreciate each of you.
As for the newest and relatively newest members, thanks new friends for
keeping rcw going as an unmoderated friendly source for whatever each of
you hope to get out of a woodturning news group.

And thanks for asking, Charlie.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"StephenM" wrote in
:

Of course, big reason for lurking is teranews has been taking a lot
of finagling of late. I've had to delete and reset up the account
several times and it got to where I could not post. We'll see if
this works but I won't hold my breath.

I am really cheap and I gave up on tera-news because of posts showing
up 3 days later or never. I realise that news posting are not
instantaneous, but if a post takes 3 days, the conversation has left
you behind.

I ended up he http://usenet-news.net/

For $10, I get to download 30GB of content. I think I might have to
pony up again in a year or two.

-steve

As a longtime lurker on the wrec, I came here when I began turning 2
years ago. I've had on & off ISP supplied usenet service and ultimately
used tera-news. I've had the same problems as you, never knowing when and
if my posts will show up.(We'll see with this one) Makes you look like a
real putz when your post comes in days after the discussion is over.
Maybe I also will invest $10 in your suggestion. Thanks.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote in message
There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?

I lurk a lot, and participate on occasion. I've learned SO very much simply
from reading here, and, on occasion, have attempted to pass along a few
tips, hints and tricks, when I believe what I've "discovered" is of interest
to the rest of you. Over the past 2 or 3 years, I've found everyone here to
be gracious, informative and more than willing to help out a newcomer.
Once, when I had a ? about the Morse Taper on my lathe, I received an answer
in less than 15 mins, from more than a few posters. I can't get service
like that from my local quickie oil change shop!

Having given the question some thought, I can't think of anything missing.
I especially enjoy the links to others works, using their efforts as pure
inspiration to spur me on when my mind seems to become "fixated" on one or
two methods or design techniques.

Bob Crawford

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

This was the first turning forum that I found. I still visit it once a
day or so. It isn't the most active. I guess the only real down side
to it is the spammers with the sex stuff and cheap knock off retail
stuff. How boring. I like mentoring as much as I do turning. I have
found the forums to be a bigger learning experience than any of the
turning magazines out there. Made some friends, even met Mac in person
once. Great group of people.
robo hippy

On Mar 6, 9:08*am, "Bob Crawford" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Roy Roy is offline

I lurk, therefore I am.

I've lurked here since Agent version 0.99c came out, which is probably about 1995 or so. I don't
turn much any more. More into regular woodworking now. Still, this group has always been friendly
and open, and quick to respond to peoples questions. Like rec.ww, it seems postings are down since
so many ISP's dropped Usenet groups.

The two posters I miss most are Fred Holder and George. Fred was always helpful with any question
people asked, and helped me out with advice more than once. He was a big proponent of making your
own tools and accessories, something I like to do very much. I think he may still drop in once in a
great while, but it has been a long time since he was a regular poster.

George sometimes seemed to have the knack to rub people wrong, which generated much spirited
discussion and debate, some of it about the participants probable ancestry and personal habits.
However, the group was certainly lively at those times.

Well, back into lurk limbo. Look for my next post in another five to ten years!

Regards,
Roy

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 09:28:44 -0800, charlieb wrote:

There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?
charlieb

I started turning a few years ago and joined this group to glean some
knowledge and ideas. I love all woodworking and don't talk much
because I feel there are many more knowledgeable and experienced peeps
in here than me. But I'm working on it!!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 5, 1:28*pm, charlieb wrote:
There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?

Well like others this was my first port of call after abandoning a
lifetime of flat working and finally going round.
Running cringing from the other flat newsgroup this one seemed to be
more my style.
I also like the no pictures. Nothing pees me off more than the
constant "look what I've done" and "gee your good" format of other
forums and groups. Now posting pics and getting good constructive
criticism is another thing but unfortunately it's very rare.
I also tend to shy away from the good ol' boys club networks, you know
the ones where criticism is responded to with an unleashing of the
hounds.
I enjoy the pace and content of this group probably more than any
other and just wish the spammers could be blocked out more
effectively.
There is another forum in Canada that I frequent a lot more because of
personal contact through my local Guild and also they are all a bit
more down to earth and realistic than some on other forums and groups.
Yes this is a good place to be, very much a comfort zone in the
maelstrom of politicking and advertising that is now thought of as
wood turning.
Thanks to all.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom tom is offline

pdhyde42 wrote:
There is another forum in Canada that I frequent a lot more because of
personal contact through my local Guild and also they are all a bit more
down to earth and realistic than some on other forums and groups

curiosity leaps to attention: said "another forum in Canada" would
be ... ?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Because if I din't lurk here I would never learn anything more then I know
40 years ago. I turn for fun of it and not to make anything special, but
when I have a question I know I will get an great anwer, better then any
book.

"charlieb" wrote in message
There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

For the lurkers hesitant to ask questions - or answer questions:

Questions are one of the things that make this place interesting.
Without someone asking a question, the answers never come out.
And often and answer may spark a completely different question
or interesting discussion.

So if there's something you want to know, have tried to find an
answer but haven't yet - PLEASE - ask away.

There's also a value to a relative newbie answering a newbie question.
Why the question was asked is fresher in your experience and you
may be able to cut to the chase quicker and clearer than an old hand
who has a range of possible answers, some way over the newbie's
head.

As noted by others, one of the values of this group is the example
set by folks like Arch, and Fred and George. They set the tone for
the rest of us to follow.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Add Bill Noble to the Tone Setters of the group.

BIG oversight on my part.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

OK: here goes, something I am afraid to try

How do you use calipers on a rotating piece: even if you round the edges,
doesn't it still try to grab?
I have seen people use digital calipers, and they have really grabby edges
(in videos, so I could not ask how it was done).
Thanks

Charles Friedman DDS
Ventura by the Sea

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Charles, Long time, no post. I suspect I'm preachin to the choir
here. For calipering spindles, I find that lightly but deliberately
riding the tip of the caliper's forward leg (the one nearest to me) on
the leading surface of the revolving spindle, while keeping the back
leg's tip up & free until it's _almost ready to drop down over the wood
works for me. Think 'rubbing' the bevel and cutting downhill with a
gouge or staying off the trailing edge of a skew.

Don't forget the value of a set of thick and cheap open end wrenches
with the tips filed smooth and slightly wide for accurate and easily
repeated specific diameters.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter